Blown spark plug - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Blown spark plug

Hi folks,

i blew my spark plug today and i took it out it was not even screwed in it came right out with the coil pack.

so i checked the thread on the spark plug and it looks fine but it does not go back into the thread ive tried screwing it back in from different angles that did not help.

Maybe you guys have suggestions on how to fix this problem.

I have an 02 mustang gt.
robin_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It screws in half a turn now but thats it
Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Not sure what to tell you but you can read these.

Plug blowout
Help with stripped spark plug!!
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
Not sure what to tell you but you can read these.

Plug blowout
Help with stripped spark plug!!
thanks ill take a look at it
Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

MY unprofessional opinion if you cant thread a new spark plug back in your going to have to put a new insert in..
Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yep you're gonna need to helicoil or timesert the plug hole. The plug stripped out the threads in the head when it came out
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Can you do that with the head still on the car? have no idea anything about it other then its a sleeve.. do you need to drill it out or press it in?.. curious because I need to do my plugs soon and never know what the future holds lol
Old 04-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Yep you're gonna need to helicoil or timesert the plug hole. The plug stripped out the threads in the head when it came out
This.

A good machine shop should be able to fix the threads without removing the head. When I blew out cylinder 4 a machine shop fixed it in an afternoon and only cost me $355 for a new plug, new COP(mine was absolutely shredded), and the work.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I did it with my head on the car, the proper procedure is to remove the head completely though. Basically you run a tap through it and cut new threads to fit the outside of the insert, the you apply some rev silicone to the outside of the insert and screw it in until it bottoms out, once it does that you take the punch that is supplied with the kit and give the insert a good smack to seat it and prevent it from coming back out, after that you let it sit for 24 hours and then install a new plug
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The dealer does the fix with the head on the car, you can too. Just use a lot of grease to catch metal shavings. And your problem was caused by someone not torquing the plugs properly when they did them last. You need a torque wrench and you need all plugs to be at 12 ft lbs. Going 1/8 or 1/4 turn after finger tight is GOING TO blow them out. 12 ft lbs is not very much past finger tight but its all you need.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Ford 5.4s do it all the time ..

Techs fix it a lot , yes you can do it on the car
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My dads super duty did this about a year ago. Shops here a very limited so we took it to ford, they charged like $480. If we had time and it wasn't a daily driver we could of saved a ton.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

should you tighten plugs with anti seize more then factory torque specs?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
should you tighten plugs with anti seize more then factory torque specs?
No, NO, NO, NO!! 12 ft lbs WITH A TORQUE WRENCH and antisieze on the threads. More and you run a real risk of blowing out 4 thread aluminum heads. I still get ppl telling me they have "calibrated elbows" or "hand tight and then a quarter turn". Those dumbasses are the same ones that are paying the shop $300-$500 for timeserts or making the next guy who winds up with the car have to pay it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I´m going to order a helicoil or time sert kit.

Does anyone know the right kit for an 02 mustang gt?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

doing it yourself?
If so can you should make a thread with details and pictures or videos so in the future anyone with this issue has a walk threw
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #17

Region: Indiana
if factory head get one from the junk yard. not a fan of helicoils. they serve their purposes but not in an area that sees compression and heat.
eccy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Timeserts are a factory approved piece and its a dealer fix. Actually a preventative maintenance thing on a lot of 03/04 4V heads is to timesert the plugs while the heads are off the car for a rebuild even if they are good.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #19

Region: Kentucky
I recently found a 2002 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter engine, the car is priced very reasonable, and has 124 th. miles on it, Problem, one of the plugs has blown out of it, and needs to be rethreaded, this repair scares the hell out of me, as its a v-8 and has 7 more plugs to go. I do know that the 4.6, is an excellent engine and very dependable, as I had one in a Mercury, when I sold it, it had over 270 th. miles on it and had never had any major engine work done. The repair on the Mustang, can it be done without removing the head, and can I do it myself, or does it need to be taken to the dealer or qualified service center? The car is in fantastic shape, and a buy that is hard to pass up, but I will if the repairs out weigh my budget. Does anyone have any ideas about cost, at the dealer, vs. cost of doing it yourself, or is this a job that one man can tackle by himself, as I have never done this type of repair. I mean I can handle the simple things, as far as repair go, but his seems out of my range of knowledge.

Thanks,
Larry Simpson
larryljs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryljs1 View Post
I recently found a 2002 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter engine, the car is priced very reasonable, and has 124 th. miles on it, Problem, one of the plugs has blown out of it, and needs to be rethreaded, this repair scares the hell out of me, as its a v-8 and has 7 more plugs to go. I do know that the 4.6, is an excellent engine and very dependable, as I had one in a Mercury, when I sold it, it had over 270 th. miles on it and had never had any major engine work done. The repair on the Mustang, can it be done without removing the head, and can I do it myself, or does it need to be taken to the dealer or qualified service center? The car is in fantastic shape, and a buy that is hard to pass up, but I will if the repairs out weigh my budget. Does anyone have any ideas about cost, at the dealer, vs. cost of doing it yourself, or is this a job that one man can tackle by himself, as I have never done this type of repair. I mean I can handle the simple things, as far as repair go, but his seems out of my range of knowledge.

Thanks,
Larry Simpson
I know some on here have had timeserts put into correct the blowing plug. A member had this and had it fixed for around $100 IIRC. I dont think that would be a major issue to have taken care of. When that is done do new plugs, gap them correctly, use a torque wrench 12-15lbs (this is why they usually blow, not torqued to specs, they have to be!), and use antiseeze on the threads. Get a COP rebuild kit to put new springs and boots on the COPs and you should be all set plug and wire wise. Other than that check all fluids, drive it hard, try everything out (locks, windows, radio, everything) after driven hard pop the hood and smell around the upper intake manifold to see if there is any evidence of coolant leaking, smell all the away around it, especially the Tstat area and where the heater hose connects to the manifold near the back. These cars run forever if properly maintained. Congrats if you get it and post some pics!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT