Spark Plug Boot - 00 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Spark Plug Boot - 00 GT

About to change out spark plugs. I also bought some new coil boots. Do I really need to change the boots out or should I just do the plugs?
TheJoeBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Mileage? If you are near, at, or over 100k miles you should do the boots AND the springs in the COPs. Or just replace the COPs but that is a $350 purchase vs just $30 fro the boots/springs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

Ok yeah I'm at 142k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have always suggested to people to run oem cops is that correct Scotty?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes OEM only.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes OEM only.
could you explain ? why do you say oem only just wondering..
dcm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Because they last far longer than any aftermarket brand and all the aftermarket advertising about how their coils "burn hotter" or "produce more spark" is complete snake oil.

As I said, you can just rebuild your COPs with a $30 kit.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

I agree with you scotty
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I run own coils also but I did buy a cheap jegs coil for 15 bucks to keep in the trunk for emergencies. Remember to use proper torque setting. Don't want a blowout. Why ford thought that 4 threads would hold anything is beyond comprehension
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Because they last far longer than any aftermarket brand and all the aftermarket advertising about how their coils "burn hotter" or "produce more spark" is complete snake oil.

As I said, you can just rebuild your COPs with a $30 kit.
thanks , so if you rebuild them with the kit they are as good as buying a new one ?
dcm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A coil is a coil.. It works or it doesnt. The OEM coils have a better track record of reliability, but they cost the most. The cheap ebay coils will work just as good....if they work. The generic coils have less quality control so the chances of getting one DOA or having one fail quickly is a very good possibility.

You can get a set of 8 generic coils on ebay for $50. at that price you could buy up to 56 generic coils for the same price of 8 oem... this is a calculated risk. You will definitly have failures with generic coils.

Replacing boots and springs wont bring a dead coil back to life. If the coil is dead it has to be replaced.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm88 View Post
thanks , so if you rebuild them with the kit they are as good as buying a new one ?
If there is nothing wrong with your COPs as they sit right now, rebuilding them is a great preventative measure and very easy to do while they are off anyway for the spark plugs. The springs/boots will not bring back one where the actual electronic component is kaput though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefx View Post
A coil is a coil.. It works or it doesnt. The OEM coils have a better track record of reliability, but they cost the most. The cheap ebay coils will work just as good....if they work. The generic coils have less quality control so the chances of getting one DOA or having one fail quickly is a very good possibility.

You can get a set of 8 generic coils on ebay for $50. at that price you could buy up to 56 generic coils for the same price of 8 oem... this is a calculated risk. You will definitly have failures with generic coils.

Replacing boots and springs wont bring a dead coil back to life. If the coil is dead it has to be replaced.
I'll pay the extra $$$ to not be chasing bad cops or have a random failure that requires a tow. Can just see it now. REALLY have to be somewhere important and the car starts stuttering and crapping out because I was too cheap to buy OEM. I'm not saying this can't happen with OEM either but the failure rate of the OEM ones is miniscule compared to the generics.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I agree... You buy OEM for its reliable track record.

Generic cops will have a higher failure rate... Its a calculated risk that is up to the buyer to decide what suits his needs the best.

OEM are the best, however there are legitimate cost/value options to consider

Example: a higher mileage car has a cop that is malfunctioning due to the harsh environment it operates in. the other 7 cops have operated in roughly the same environment for just as long. Chances are, another failure may be right around the corner.

Option 1:
You can buy 1 oem for the cost of 8 generics, and you might have to buy 1 or 2 more oem coils in the next year or two as the remaining stock units might start to malfunction, bring you total up to $150 or more.....Hypothetically.

Option 2:
You can buy 8 generic cops for the price of 1 oem unit. Chances are that one or two of them are sub par, netting you ~6 functioning cops for the price of one oem. You can replace the faulty stock unit and still have 5 spares if another stock unit begins to fail. You have fixed the problem and you are prepared for several more failures all for $50.

Of course option 1 is the most trouble free option, but at a hefty price tag.
Option 2 contains more variables and possible swaps, but is budget friendly.

It is a calculated risk to be decided by the owner. If u plan on keeping the car for another 100k miles than obviously option 1 might be best, but if u may be getting rid of it in under 50k miles or so, than option 2 looks to be the financial winner.

Choices, choices.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Option 3 is to replace them all at once to the tune of $330 or so. You only really have to do it every 100k so its really not expensive.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #15

Yep that's what I did went with Motorcraft Platinum plugs and Autolite Boots. Runs great
Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Option 3 is to replace them all at once to the tune of $330 or so. You only really have to do it every 100k so its really not expensive.
Agree. That is really the most complete answer for anyone who doesn't mind dropping the coin.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #17

Region: Texas
So I was reading all these posts and I agree on every aspect. The one thing that really stuck out...BLOWOUTS...I have had 3 different plugs blowout 2 on the driver side and the other on the passenger. I have had them all fixed or rethreaded. So when you do your plugs...ABSOLUTELY torque your plugs and go with OEM COPS. It is not a comforting feeling when you got to call a tow truck when a plug blows...very frustrating. Now I am in the crossroads of either getting the others rethreaded, or just buy a new set of PI heads at the same cost of just fixing the others. Actually leaning towards new heads to be honest. Can anyone shine a little light on these blowouts other than the previously mentioned poor design by Ford?? Just curious on what you guys think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
03_silv_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

The blowouts happen from most PI heads having 4 spark plug threads and people trying to tighten them without a torque wrench.

I still hear the old "I tighten them and then 1/4 turn" or "I have a calibrated elbow". This is what torque looks like on a spark plug. As you can see you require a torque wrench to get it right. Set to 12ft lbs or 145 inch lbs and go. 15 is max torque. People doing 1/4 turn are dumbasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TaperSeatTest01.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	156486  

Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #19

Region: Texas
I did just that...torqued everything and still had blowouts. But this last time, the fuel regulator went out replaced ot as well along with the heli coil and new cop. And when the three plugs blew, it all happened on intial start of the car. What are other possibilities that could cause the plugs to blow out like they did?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
03_silv_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

At some point someone overtorqued or you had a bad torque wrench.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT