Non-PI vs PI Engine Sound Comparison - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Non-PI vs PI Engine Sound Comparison

For those interested, I went through some old footage I had of my car and decided to make a sound comparison between a non-PI and a PI 2V.

Both engines were completely stock at the time of being filmed, and they both are running the same exhaust set up. Exhaust was a catless H-pipe with "XLerator" mufflers on stock catback piping. XLerator is basically budget flowmasters.

Hope you enjoy!
DMD

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Jeez you blown a gasket before swap? Lol. Thinking about doing the same. Is it worth the swap?
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Jeez you blown a gasket before swap? Lol. Thinking about doing the same. Is it worth the swap?
No lol that's actually from when I seafoamed the engine. Seafoaming is when you put Seafoam (a car product similar to Lucas) throughout your vaccuum lines and it cleans out your heads. I convinced myself that it would fix a ticking noise my car made. Turns out I had a spun rod bearing lol.

And yes it is worth it. I have loved my car infinitely more ever since the swap. I would recommend doing it yourself if you have the resources.Not only will you save money, but youll have a lot of great memories of doing the swap. And, best part, you get to tell everyone you did the swap which makes you look way more badass

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManDann View Post
No lol that's actually from when I seafoamed the engine. Seafoaming is when you put Seafoam (a car product similar to Lucas) throughout your vaccuum lines and it cleans out your heads. I convinced myself that it would fix a ticking noise my car made. Turns out I had a spun rod bearing lol.

And yes it is worth it. I have loved my car infinitely more ever since the swap. I would recommend doing it yourself if you have the resources.Not only will you save money, but youll have a lot of great memories of doing the swap. And, best part, you get to tell everyone you did the swap which makes you look way more badass

Haha. How long did the swap take? Did you pull the motor out or left it in the car for the swap?
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

PI?
daninacan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Haha. How long did the swap take? Did you pull the motor out or left it in the car for the swap?
It took me 5 months to do the swap, but that's mostly because I didn't have time to work on it during the school year. I completed the majority of the swap in about 2 weeks of working on it for around 3 hours a day.

And I swapped the entire 2001 engine in, I didn't do a head swap. So I pulled the whole engine lol.

PI and non-PI refer to the cylinder heads of the engine. In 1999 Ford updated the heads, cams, and intake of the SOHC (2V) 4.6l engine. They designated the updated design "PI" for "Performance Improved". The updated heads gave the car around 40 more horsepower.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
Once you do the PI swap (99 heads, 99 crossover/manifold, etc.) do you basically start referring to 99-04 parts for further upgrades to the engine?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Once you do the PI swap (99 heads, 99 crossover/manifold, etc.) do you basically start referring to 99-04 parts for further upgrades to the engine?
No. Everything is the same. But if you ordered a tune for instance, you'd want to let them know about the PI swap.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT