Where to buy OEM cops? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Where to buy OEM cops?

Where can i buy some new OEM cops from?
Jgrummz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I took all 8 of a jy car lol as spares.
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Rockauto is where I bought mine
SilverPonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Rockauto, make sure you select the SOHC version as they are different than the DOHC version. Should be around $40 per COP, way cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

Conversely, you can rebuild your original COPs if nothing is wrong with them for about $30. You can buy the boots/springs on Rockauto as well or just buy a whole kit from Amazon. The electronic part of the COP often is not bad its the connection and a worn out/cracked/torn boot letting moisture and crud in.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
I took all 8 of a jy car lol as spares.
That's exactly what I did. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Rockauto, make sure you select the SOHC version as they are different than the DOHC version. Should be around $40 per COP, way cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

Conversely, you can rebuild your original COPs if nothing is wrong with them for about $30. You can buy the boots/springs on Rockauto as well or just buy a whole kit from Amazon. The electronic part of the COP often is not bad its the connection and a worn out/cracked/torn boot letting moisture and crud in.
They definitely have the best price for new. Mine had cracks in the plastic, or were broken completely to where the spring and boot wouldn't stay on. So the JY was where I went!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thank guys. Im looking on there though and cant figure out which are the OEM ones? Is it the standard motor products ones?
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Motorcraft DG508
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sweet thanks a lot
Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes Ford's brand is Motorcraft and if the price is the same/similar you ALWAYS buy Motorcraft vs aftermarket. And in some cases like with COPs even if its much more expensive you still buy Motorcraft. Motorcraft COPs generally last over 100k.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The only problem with this is that there is no real way to tell if its the boot or the cop thats bad.

I just dropped $40 on new boots and springs and it did nothing to remedy my misfire. The actual cop can indeed go bad. I had 2 go bad in my F150 and I have at least 1 bad one in my Mustang. From my experience, unless there is visual damage to a boot, its probably ok.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

More Horsepower and Torque. The Street Fighter Series 24,000 volt coils provide 4,000 more volts then stock OEM factory coils to help produce more power from your modern modular motor and are a perfect replacement upgrade for stock engines or Mustangs with minor performance upgrades.

Better Fuel Economy. A hotter spark burns fuel more completely releasing all it's energy translating into better fuel economy and more power.

so what you guys are saying is that there is no way to upgrade your cops?
why is it that no one can reproduce it in a reliable way?
I understand some things are better left stock as the manufacturer did it properly the first time... just curious why it is that this is set in stone.
I have heard this many times and not just on this forum...
Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
More Horsepower and Torque. The Street Fighter Series 24,000 volt coils provide 4,000 more volts then stock OEM factory coils to help produce more power from your modern modular motor and are a perfect replacement upgrade for stock engines or Mustangs with minor performance upgrades.

Better Fuel Economy. A hotter spark burns fuel more completely releasing all it's energy translating into better fuel economy and more power.

I understand some things are better left stock as the manufacturer did it properly the first time... just curious why it is that this is set in stone.
Ever hear of snake oil?

And COPs don't need to be upgraded. Look elsewhere if you are going to spend money on something.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I know.. don't fix it if its not broken!
I was considering "upgrading them" I was going to replace my fuel injectors rather then cleaning them.. change my cop's, plugs as a "tune up"
And with claims of more torque/hp/fuel economy I figured why not!
But I was already aware to keep the originals and now with this thread it backs up what I was told in the first place heh
Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

From my understanding, the spark plug will only fire a spark up to its intended range. Adding a coil that claims to increase that range is b.s. as it wont make the plug fire hotter of more effeciently. as long as the coil is providing enough current to plug to operate correctly, its doing its job to the fullest of its performance capability. anything more than that is just wasted.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are plenty of cops out there that will work as well as oem, but they usually dont have the quality control as the oem units. they are all probably produced at the same Chinese factories, with OEM units having the tightest requirements for production and reliability to ensure a quality product.

The spark plug only needs xxx voltage/current to operate to its fullest potential. As long as its getting that, it will operate as designed. any more is wasted, any less results in power lose.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #16

I bought Autolite from Advance they were 40 for all 8
TheJoeBailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT