how to mod 2000 in california ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
how to mod 2000 in california ?

ok so i have a 2000 mustang gt . the mods it currently has are as follows

Engine: some type of underdrive pulleys ,bbk cai (fenderwell) ,bbk tb 70mm, trickflow 75mm plenum and i think a aluminum radiator not sure ..

Exhaust : either mac or flowmaster mufflers not sure either

Drivetrain : mgw shifter ,maximum motorsports clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster

Exterior : shorty antenna & mach 1 grill delete

i know i want to get gears 3:73 and a tuner also some fr500 wheels. After that though, i am stumped because i live in stupid california. Apparently there are no aftermarket heads that are smog legal or cam's so am i basically screwed if i want some decent power out of my 2000 ?

seems kind of a let down to me especially since coming from a foxbody they have alot of smog legal aftermarket heads ,cams and intakes etc .. why not for modulars ?
dcm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Gotta know your way around the system. Also, cams are legal, because they will pass the sniff test and there is no way that the shop can actually look inside of your engine. Same with heads. I wouldn't worry about either of those for smog.

There are smog legal headers, but they are only shorties and they are expensive. Longtubes are illegal period, even if you put in 100 catalytic converters. I currently run exhaust without catalytic converters. Its a full length O/R H pipe, so i just swap it out every 2 years for smog.

Just gotta find out what other people do. There are quite a few ways around the system.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Simple.
You just need to find one of the few, isolated, counties in CA that does not require emissions testing, every two years, and get your car registered there.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Simple.

You just need to find one of the few, isolated, counties in CA that does not require emissions testing, every two years, and get your car registered there.

Want to register my car at your place?

HID end all thread
Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Want to register my car at your place?
I used to do it years ago. Im sure that it's somehow "bending" the rules, but what would stop me from buying some little rats nest of a "mail drop" and inviting all of my CA automotive performance enthusiast buddies to register their cars here. The DMV would send the renewal notices to that address and they would then get mailed to the registered owners.
For a yearly fee, of course...
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I want Longtubes!!!

HID end all thread
Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can register your car in another county that you don't live in?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
You can register your car in another county that you don't live in?
Yes, but you would need a way to recieve the registration renewal notice.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well my parents live in a non emissions place, back where I used to live. But I thought cuz I didn't live there, and my car wasn't there, then I couldn't register it. Plus the bank that has a loan on it isn't where my parents are either.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well my parents live in a non emissions place, back where I used to live. But I thought cuz I didn't live there, and my car wasn't there, then I couldn't register it. Plus the bank that has a loan on it isn't where my parents are either.
No problem. As long as it's in the same state, using your parents address is actually ideal.
Go get your registration changed!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Carb legal supercharger. When you want more power port the pi heads or do a 4v swap since both are oem heads both are legal. 4v can also make ridiculous power with stock cams so there you go. Athough if your 2v cams sound mild they won't raise any eyebrows and there is no way to check. A lot of pushrod guys in California just get an e cam card if they have a choppy cam since that one is emissions legal just as an example of how ridiculous worrying about them checking cams is.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Just find spot that'll pass u regardless!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I used to do it years ago. Im sure that it's somehow "bending" the rules, but what would stop me from buying some little rats nest of a "mail drop" and inviting all of my CA automotive performance enthusiast buddies to register their cars here. The DMV would send the renewal notices to that address and they would then get mailed to the registered owners.
For a yearly fee, of course...
Had a friend that did that for seven years. On the eight year DMV caught up with him. They showed up to his house with five tow trucks. Towed four vehicles and one horse trailer. It cost him thousands of dollars for registering his vehicles in Oregon. Apparently one of his neighbors got tired of paying higher license plate fees. Hope your neighbors like you.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for all the suggestions and info . that's good to know that the heads and cam is pretty much not easy to know if its smog legal or not but my luck i would get a tech that knows what to check and all .. the only city that is somewhat close to me is mariposa they only require smog for change of ownership , and i know no one that lives there and i don't think a P.O. box works . i might go ahead with a o/r x pipe and just switch out every two years . a supercharger is always a good plan as well but the only one is would be interested in would be a kenne bell and there not cheap lol .
Old 05-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Had a friend that did that for seven years. On the eight year DMV caught up with him. They showed up to his house with five tow trucks. Towed four vehicles and one horse trailer. It cost him thousands of dollars for registering his vehicles in Oregon. Apparently one of his neighbors got tired of paying higher license plate fees. Hope your neighbors like you.
No. Your friend was doing something completely different. He was registering his vehicles in a different state than he was residing in. And Oregon has RIDICULOUSLY low registration fees, even on brand new, VERY expensive vehicles. (I don't know how they do it) It was probably the DMV AND the state tax collector that wanted their money.
I was simply registering my vehicle in a different county, in the same state, to circumvent the state smog laws when they went to biennial emissions testing. I still had to pay the full amount to register my vehicle that I would have paid where I was actually living, just no emissions tests.
But yeah, if I tried to pull off a scheme like I outlined in the post above, at some point, the authorities would track me down... It wouldn't be easy for them, but at some point, they'd, maybe, be able to catch me... Perhaps.
It probably wouldn't be the DMV or the state tax collector that I would be too concerned about though... It would be the California Air Research Board or CARB as it is better known.

And Mtang, the fine that your friend got would be peanuts compared to the fine that CARB would hand out for such illicit activities.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm88 View Post
thanks for all the suggestions and info . that's good to know that the heads and cam is pretty much not easy to know if its smog legal or not but my luck i would get a tech that knows what to check and all .. the only city that is somewhat close to me is mariposa they only require smog for change of ownership , and i know no one that lives there and i don't think a P.O. box works . i might go ahead with a o/r x pipe and just switch out every two years . a supercharger is always a good plan as well but the only one is would be interested in would be a kenne bell and there not cheap lol .

No supercharger is cheap. You are looking at $3500-$4k MINIMUM for just a used Vortech or a Tork Tech with a stock M112 take off on the car with a dyno tune and fuel system. Then you have to put the $$$ in to make sure the rest of the driveline is up to holding 400hp. Nothing about this hobby is cost effective.

Like I said, if you are worried about a really smart tech just make sure everything that can be seen is CARB legal. A supercharger on a stock PI motor is 400whp anyway and if you need more than that and needed to make damn sure everything is Nazifornia emissions legal I really would suggest swapping in a built C headed 4V since you can leave the stock heads/cam/intake setup alone and since they are OEM they will be legal.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Its so much easier to pass smog in California than I thought it would be. Swapping mid pipes is easy and all you gotta do is find a hole in the wall smog shop with a guy who doesn't know anything about cars. My town has like 10 of those shops haha

The only hard part is that CHP isn't afraid to pull you over at night if you car is "too loud"
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm actually really happy this topic came up. I think I'm going to register my car where my parents live, and not be afraid to grab a midpipe. Are there any fees registering it to another county?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty98gt View Post
Its so much easier to pass smog in California than I thought it would be. Swapping mid pipes is easy and all you gotta do is find a hole in the wall smog shop with a guy who doesn't know anything about cars. My town has like 10 of those shops haha

The only hard part is that CHP isn't afraid to pull you over at night if you car is "too loud"
There are PLENTY of free flowing exhausts that are not too loud. Also running a set of good hi-flow cats isn't going to take any power away until you hit the 500+hp range. Maybe like 1 or 2... maybe... So you get yourself a nice catted pipe on a set of FRPP shorties or stock manifolds (if you are a modular) and a straight through exhaust like a Magnaflow and you are good to go for the noise police. I personally can't stand super loud cars. There is a difference between ear splitting loud and louder than stock but also sounding good and being able to back it up. For every car that can back it up there are 5 bolt on cars with stock gears and a loud as **** exhaust setup that can't even break into the 13s.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
There are PLENTY of free flowing exhausts that are not too loud. Also running a set of good hi-flow cats isn't going to take any power away until you hit the 500+hp range. Maybe like 1 or 2... maybe... So you get yourself a nice catted pipe on a set of FRPP shorties or stock manifolds (if you are a modular) and a straight through exhaust like a Magnaflow and you are good to go for the noise police. I personally can't stand super loud cars. There is a difference between ear splitting loud and louder than stock but also sounding good and being able to back it up. For every car that can back it up there are 5 bolt on cars with stock gears and a loud as **** exhaust setup that can't even break into the 13s.

Very true, thats why I don't like straight pipes on a bolt on 2v. It is way too loud for how much power the car has imo. I had bassani mufflers with the catted x and got pulled over by chp once in a 2 year span. I recently hollowed out the cats and it didnt get too much louder, just more raspy. I prefer the catted x though, it had less rasp and was better sounding. And going off road didnt make any power difference at all, just a little bit more throttle response if anything, and more exhaust fumes...
Engine/drivetrain mods: Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Dragon Plenum-75mm, Accufab TB-70MM, K&N FIPK GEN.2 Air Intake, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust,Bassani Catted X Pipe, 3.73 FRPP Rear Gears,Ford Racing TA Rear Diff Cover,

Bunch of suspension goodies
ty98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
No supercharger is cheap. You are looking at $3500-$4k MINIMUM for just a used Vortech or a Tork Tech with a stock M112 take off on the car with a dyno tune and fuel system. Then you have to put the $$$ in to make sure the rest of the driveline is up to holding 400hp. Nothing about this hobby is cost effective.

Like I said, if you are worried about a really smart tech just make sure everything that can be seen is CARB legal. A supercharger on a stock PI motor is 400whp anyway and if you need more than that and needed to make damn sure everything is Nazifornia emissions legal I really would suggest swapping in a built C headed 4V since you can leave the stock heads/cam/intake setup alone and since they are OEM they will be legal.
thanks yea i know they are expensive just trying to see what the best route would be how much would a 4v swap be ? just ball park what do those go for ?
i guess in the end a nice 300-340 whp is what i want from the engine . i want it to be fast but not too built where its not streetable ..or where ill get 8mpg lol
then after that ill do suspension and weight reduction .
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm actually really happy this topic came up. I think I'm going to register my car where my parents live, and not be afraid to grab a midpipe. Are there any fees registering it to another county?
I don't know about Texas but here in CA there are no fees for an address change.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know about Texas but here in CA there are no fees for an address change.
i thought in Texas it was basically you could do anything to your car ?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm88 View Post
i thought in Texas it was basically you could do anything to your car ?

We are a lot less strict than most states, but even the fed nazi's make us do certain things for cars. Like emissions.. Only really densely populated areas have it though.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
california