99-04 driveshaft & tranny swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
99-04 driveshaft & tranny swap

Ok, so I have been wanting to get an aluminum driveshaft in my Bullitt (TR3650 transmission). The main issue is, I know I eventually want to swap in a T-56. Is the driveshaft able to be used with both transmission? What differences are there and can it be altered to fit? Or what other way could I go? I just don't want to buy a driveshaft and have to sell it for another when I eventually do the tranny swap.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The driveshaft for the T-56 is about an inch shorter than the 3650 if I remember right. You can have it shortened by a driveshaft shop when you do the swap
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ok, i remember reading something about a length difference, but would that affect me since the T56 driveshaft for the Cobra was originally designed for the IRS?. Cause now that I got my Torque Arm (required removal of vibration dampener) i can feel more vibrations above 80mph (assuming its not my pinion angle) like a lot of people say they get with 4.10s, so i've been thinking of an aluminum driveshaft.

HID end all thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's still too short for your situation, the T-56 is longer than the 3650 due to the extra gear. The IRS mounts almost exactly the a as the SRA does, the only difference between the two are how thick the mounting flange is. The Cobra has a slightly larger one. As to the vibration, I can feel a little bit of a vibration with mine but it's not bad over 80mph.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

So the TR3650 one is longer and can be shortened right?

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ok. Now to try and fit it in my budget. I want to also cut as much weight as possible.

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just wondering.. Why are you wanting to swap to a T56?

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
To swap to the T-56 you need the T-56 yoke with a modified 1330/1310 U-joint I THINK. The T-56 yoke should come as a package from anyone selling one used or you can buy them from various places. Its been awhile, I know the u joint needs to be a hybrid and that is correct IIRC. Then you need to have a shop shorten up the GT length driveshaft by about an inch. I know you'll be keeping your SRA so the diff mount is the same.

After this you will want to use the OEM T-56 crossmember which you can get from Ford, also you might have to take a BFH to the tunnel in some places to make it fit but probably not. For your clutch if you are getting a Terminator T-56 the clutch will remain the same unless its a 26 spline swapped one, stock is 10 spline.

Now... real quick, think LONG AND HARD about doing this swap before you drop the coin.

1 - The Terminator T-56 has the same overdrive as you do at .62 so there is no benefit for the highway and the close ratio gearing is not optimal at all for a NA 2V or even a S trimmed one. With a 2.66 1st gear ratio (vs 3.37 in the 3650), that's a little too much for a motor that already needs help down low. Even if you are going with the wide ratio T-56 (or magnum) you still only get a 2.97 1st gear and then you have to deal with a .5 overdrive which I don't see the 2V really ever being able to use short of a Tork Tech or KB setup.

2 - The non-Magnum T-56 is really no stronger than the 3650. It might shift smoother due to a single rail design but that's about it. Its also heavier by about 30-40lbs and I know you said you wanted to lose as much weight as possible. I'm assuming you are looking at the Termi T-56s here since you said budget. A Magnum install with you doing it yourself is going to run $4k or so lol.

3 - The real benefit to the 6 speed is the 5th gear, not the 6th gear. I don't know how many people out there think that a 6 speed is just a 5 speed with an extra deep overdrive but it's not. The extra gear is between 4th and final OD so you don't have a big RPM drop from 1.00 to .62 seeing as there is a .80 gear in between with the 6 speed. I know I'd like to have that extra gear for DDing but I also like the 3.37 1st gear in the 5 speed and don't think its worth giving up for that.

So, my $.02 is that the T-56 is a more expensive headache that is really only worth the time if you are going Magnum and HAVE to have a manual trans in your big power car OR you are into road racing in which case you need the extra gear to keep your RPMs where they need to be. Only other real benefit for the T-56 is that the bell is separate from the trans to make removal with longtubes easier. One could also just run an Astro A5 if one wanted to get this same benefit though. The quicktime bell adapts a T-5 (A5) to a modular and you can run a mccleod spacer to get the trans in the correct place or a ds spacer if not doing that.

Now if you REALLY want to help your 1/4 times I would look into a 4R75w out of a 2004 GT or Mach along with the 2004 Mach computer and a good stall converter. But that's not everyone's cup of tea.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Just as mentioned above.... Road Racing.

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Scotty pretty much covered everything I was going to say. In road racing or auto-x a T56 won't make things much better if at all...

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Plus I know it sounds stupid, but I want a car that is unique. Not something where I went the "practical" route

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Scotty pretty much covered everything I was going to say. In road racing or auto-x a T56 won't make things much better if at all...
Actually in autox it won't because you don't ever go fast enough to use the upper gears but in road racing hell yes you want that extra .80 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Plus I know it sounds stupid, but I want a car that is unique. Not something where I went the "practical" route
T-56s are more common than you think honestly but not SUPER common. Regardless I would still think long and hard before tossing a 2.66 1st gear ratio transmission into a NA 2V. You are going to notice a huge drop off in your launches. Even with the 2.97 in the wide ratio its not great.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

99-04 driveshaft & tranny swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Actually in autox it won't because you don't ever go fast enough to use the upper gears but in road racing hell yes you want that extra .80 5th gear.

T-56s are more common than you think honestly but not SUPER common. Regardless I would still think long and hard before tossing a 2.66 1st gear ratio transmission into a NA 2V. You are going to notice a huge drop off in your launches. Even with the 2.97 in the wide ratio its not great.

It won't be a NA 2v for too long. The transmission will go in after any motor work anyway. Like I said before, I have more than minor plans for this car.

We've been over this Scotty lol

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Right now I just autocross the car cause it's easy and they are more often/ cheaper. I will do a lot more types of driving with this car.

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How about a wide ratio T56 with say 4.56 gears in the rear?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Better have a build motor. High mileage and FI have fun

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Better have a build motor. High mileage and FI have fun

You should already know the plan from Facebook lol

HID end all thread
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
That's gonna cost a lot. Anyone know if the 3650 and t56 harness is the same?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
That's gonna cost a lot. Anyone know if the 3650 and t56 harness is the same?
Its just an OSS sensor and I personally would not worry about the reverse lockout solenoid. Just replace the spring in it with a lighter one (guy on svtperformance sells them) and you can push past the solenoid with one hand, yet it still is stiff enough to prevent you banging into reverse instead of 6th although reverse is not exactly close to 6th...

So no not exactly the same but for all intents and purposes... yes.

And the built motor he wants is going to close a pretty penny, they all do. The trans... I've seen Cobra T-56 kits go for under $2k with the 26 spline input and low mileage. With that said, I am VERY leery of a used trans unless I know the person it came from or know from a long posting history on a forum I belong to that its good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT