4.6 4v or 5.4 lightning engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
4.6 4v or 5.4 lightning engine?

So I've looked into a bit of "do this" and "this one is better" and in a mind sense, I've gotten my hands on a totaled 02 lightning for dirt cheap from a friend. I'm in a dilemma though, I also have an 01 cobra engine sitting inside my garage so I don't know what to do!

What's your guys opinions and what do you think I should go through with?

btw this is all going in a 03 GT i'm doing the swap on.

Thanks in advance!

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
stealthrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Take all the stuff from the cobra engine and swap it over to the 5.4. The 5.4 block can accept both 2v and 4v heads.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Do the lightning swap. If not for any other reason, so I can live vicariously through you! Lol seriously though, I've been looking to do this swap for a while now.
If you went with the cobra swap, you'd need to do alittle more in regards to the engine harness since its a 4v, and small odds and ends (compared to the lighting swap. Which you will need a new hood too.....)

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The 5.4 2v is literally a drop in, it fits just like the stock motor. But with that supercharger your hood won't fit. You'll need a massive cowl.

HID end all thread
Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Whipple swap the lightning motor. To get the inlet off the top and ton the side and a lower motor mounts and a 4-6 inch cowl might cover it up.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

[QUOTE=stealthrz;2013481...I also have an 01 cobra engine sitting inside my garage so I don't know what to do!
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The 5.4 2v is literally a drop in, it fits just like the stock motor. But with that supercharger your hood won't fit. You'll need a massive cowl.
Does the '01 Cobra have a blower? I thought those didn't start until the '03s. Educate me.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

03-04 cobra's are the only one's that came supercharged from the factory.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes regarding SN95 New Edges, 99' and 01' Cobra's (and 02' of you're in Australia) were naturally aspirated. They also were not forged like the Termi's were.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Both engines will blow up at the same power level because they use the same crap powdered rods. The Lightning motor is going to need drop mounts and then a 6" cowl hood to potentially fit. I'd sell the lighting stuff and put that $$ towards the 4V setup.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well hello to all. Once again I'm confused on what to do! Once the lightning comes to my garage, I'll try to see exactly what to dismantle. It was totaled from the back (completely smashed) and the engine is intact. I was a bit shaky cause the trans is damaged but I won't know the full extent till it arrives. A lot say lightning and yes i've heard it's a simple drop in, I didn't think I would need to sell my cobra hood for another hood if I went that lightning direction but I do just incase. It still bothers me now that I have both these engines and not being too sure on what swap to do. Now for the cobra engine, I would have to do a couple things but i'm torn.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm getting the lightning on wednesday coming from virginia. It's on a flatbed just waiting on payment issues to be able to move it but it's on the way. I feel like going for the 5.4 swap then again the 4.6 4v swap and i've had the 4v on my mind forever, just gathering time and parts together but now that I came up on the 5.4, it changes my mind. On a side note, I do appreciate everyones opinions so i'll keep an open mind till wednesday.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

4.6 4v or 5.4 lightning engine?

Like I said before. The 5.4 an accept both 2v and 4v heads. So take the stuff from the Cobra engine and slap it onto the 5.4, it won't be a 100% straight swap, but why not have the best of both worlds! Displacement and 4v!!

If you do that though you are going to need a different intake set up than the supercharger. $200 adapter plates and you can slap a Coyote, Boss, or Cobra Jet manifold on.

HID end all thread
Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Like I said before. The 5.4 an accept both 2v and 4v heads. So take the stuff from the Cobra engine and slap it onto the 5.4, it won't be a 100% straight swap, but why not have the best of both worlds! Displacement and 4v!!

If you do that though you are going to need a different intake set up than the supercharger. $200 adapter plates and you can slap a Coyote, Boss, or Cobra Jet manifold on.
Two words. Intake Manifold.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Manifold

With that ^ you will also need their kit to convert the manifold over to a throttle cable set up since everything 05+ is drive by wire.

It won't be as easy of a swap as the other 2 choices, but i think it would be the most badass when finished.

HID end all thread
Old 05-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Meh... not a fan of adapter plates. Imho, if you are doing a modular you go forced induction and if you do that just stay 4.6l and save some weight with way more options. Or swap in a coyote. Just my opinion tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about how the different motors will fit, but when it is said and done, the lightning has 450 tq and 380 hp, while if you put the later year cobra blower on your motor you would be about 390 tq and hp. From my experience, that tq is going to be more of a blast than the extra horsepower.
daninacan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninacan360 View Post
I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about how the different motors will fit, but when it is said and done, the lightning has 450 tq and 380 hp, while if you put the later year cobra blower on your motor you would be about 390 tq and hp. From my experience, that tq is going to be more of a blast than the extra horsepower.
While that's a valid point, the engine is gonna be a nice big blind spot for you and both motors would be pushed to their max pretty quickly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400679634718.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	157441  
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninacan360 View Post
Both engines with superchargers will blow up at the same point as I said. Both will make about the same power/tq with the eaton on there.

As I've been saying in this thread, the lightning setup is NOT a good setup for the Mustang simply because it sticks way the hell up out of the engine bay. IMHO the OP is completely wasting his money dicking around with the Lighting setup.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
While that's a valid point, the engine is gonna be a nice big blind spot for you and both motors would be pushed to their max pretty quickly

This is true, after seeing how large the motor is, and imagining how ridiculous the hood would look, the swap would eliminate the use of the car as a daily driver, and leave the driver having to stick his or her head out the window to see in front of them. Aside from bragging rights to some, I agree that the lightning is not the best option.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Like I posted earlier. Whipple swap it. Get the inlet on the side vs the top. Lower motor mounts. 4 inch cowl hood will cover it.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
not something I would do.
Looks bad *** tho
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MidAmericaShelby2005082.jpg
Views:	2709
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	157442   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.jpg
Views:	3454
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	157443  

FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
Looks bad *** tho

+1
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The 5.4 2v also only gets power until like 4500rpm. I know someone that did the 5.4 swap and they said it's only worth it if you do the 4v one.

HID end all thread
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 5.4 2v also only gets power until like 4500rpm. I know someone that did the 5.4 swap and they said it's only worth it if you do the 4v one.
N/A speaking its only worth it to do a 4v 5.4 IMO. Sure the lighting swap is ridiculous, probably not the most advantageous for a D.D., and your gonna achieve about the same power; but its the easiest to swap since he's got the whole truck and harness etc...etc... If and when I find a lighting engine, I will be doing it

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
Looks bad *** tho
I'm drooling just a little....

***resident gun idiot***
Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

The supercharged one is ok. It's powerful stock, but with 2v heads there isn't really much potential. Yea it'll be fun. But like everyone else, he will eventually want more.

HID end all thread
Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Well thank you guys for all your replies. After reading everything carefully and trying to picture how my car is going to be as a set up, It leads me to say that yes, I'm going to keep wanting more power and seeking it will conclude me to putting more bolt ons and more and more and more.

This car isn't going to be a DD but at the same time I will be driving it almost like it's a DD here and there. The thought of putting the 5.4 and getting a hood to fit excites me but right now, I'm going to sit the lightning inside my garage and wait for now. If I drove my gt around like that, I would admit it looks like i'm out to drag anyone thats out on the road. xD I'ma go with the continue of the 4.6 build and once it's done, I shall reveil it.

Once again I do appreciate your guys opinions and thoughts. I also thought of buying a shell gt and sticking the 5.4 in that but I still have a little talking to do with one of my buddies about it.

The lightning cost me $750 with another $200 for towing so i'm not that sad. I know if anything comes to sort then I always have a backup motor waiting or another project that needs to be started.

I want to be able to drive without much sticking up from the hood area and as much as I want to tempt all these other cars that rev their engines looking for a quick burn, I'll wait.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to sell it, let me know

***resident gun idiot***
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Use the 5.4, turn it into a 4v. Not too hard to swap it over to a 4v, much easier than changing a 4.6 2v over to 4v. Since you already have all of the stuff you can almost swap everything over....

The thing about the 5.4 block and the 4.6 block is its almost exactly the same, the big difference is a taller deck height for a longer stroke, everything else is the same for the most part. So swapping over the 4v stuff to the 5.4 block isn't really too hard. Extra cubes means more power per mod, longer stroke means more torque, which is why you notice a standard 4.6 2v and 5.4 2v having the same horsepower but different torque.

A 5.4 4v with good heads/cams/forged rods/forged crank, with a Boss intake will spin to the moon, slap a turbo on that and you will make stupid power.

Summary: Use both engines.

HID end all thread
Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you don't i would love to buy both engines off of you.

HID end all thread
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

5.4L is heavier though and 4V is heavier than 2V so you now have the heaviest modular. I'm doing a Teksid 2V myself (if I keep this thing) which is the lightest of them. Not to mention a 2V with a good set of ported heads and a turbo is going to make over 700 to the wheels with the right setup. Like I said, don't see the need for 4v unless you need more than 1000hp and don't see the need for 5.4 ever. Again, that is just my opinion, take for what its worth which is not much coming from a random guy on the interwebs lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT