Supercharger Prep - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Supercharger Prep

I know there was a recent thread on this but I have a better idea of what I'm actually going to do (No offense ProudSixxer), and I have a few questions of my own.
I plan on supercharging my 4.6 within the next few months but I need to make sure I know what I'm getting into first. I understand that I'm looking at a $2000-$3000 job but.. I want a used s/c (vortech or procharger) to start. whichever I come across first.
My first question would be what is everything I need for the a complete running kit? I know I need injectors, fuel pump, MAF. Do I need a larger TB, dif spark plugs, etc?
Second, if I buy a used s/c, what would be the cost for rebuilding it? or simply replacing seals in it?
Third, what about tuning? I have a Bama XF3 tuner but I can't imagine a hand held tuner is enough. Is it a requirement to get it dyne tuned?
I only plan on running 8lbs since I'm on stock bottom end and I'll build the motor later on but would it be a good idea to check compression levels and stuff before doing anything?
Sorry for writing a lot. Any answers are appreciated, thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VOR-4FL218-130S/

has everything you need
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

It looks like you already have a very good idea of what you need. A new tune, fuel pump, and larger injectors are a must. I also suggest using a heat range 6 spark plug. However your factory MAF will work with this kit at 8psi. There's no reason to upgrade it until you start adding more boost with a built engine. The factory throttle body will work fine too. You can upgrade it if you like, but it's not required.

You will need a new tune to run this kit. It does come with a tune from Vortech that is only compatible with a stock 99-04 GT. If you have other bolt-ons you'll need a custom tune written for the setup. Unfortunately, Bama does not tune for supercharger kits at the moment. You'll still be able to use your hand held tuner to store a dyno tune or a custom email tune from another Speed Shop. I suggest getting a dyno tune for the best results!

Hope some of this info helps your decisions. You can always give me a shout if you have other questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Supercharger Prep

I am running a kenne bell 2.1. First thing I would do is check the compressor on the engine to make sure engine doing good, 2nd thing is you would need a bigger fuel injector, 3rd this is colder spark plugs. I am using ngk tr6, 4th thing is a bigger throttle body. I am using 75mm accufab, and a after market intake will be great but u could leave the stock one on, 5th thing is a mass air sensor. I think u could use the stock one depending on how much boost u are running. I am running 9psi and upgraded to 90mm lighting, 6th thing is fuel pump or im using kenne bell boost a pump but i am going to upgrade the fuel pump and take out the boost a pump and last thing is aGOOD dyno tune and don't step on it until u get good dyno time period and intercooler lol. Hope this helps
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I've been doing a ton of research since I'll be doing this to my daily driver, I need to make sure it's done right and have a reliable car still. That being said, I should probably replace my clutch before I do anything else (it's pretty weak). Could use some new tires too lol. Might set back the supercharger a little bit.
What stage clutch would you guys suggest for the supercharger setup? Stage 2 or 3? I know stage 3 would be a PITA for a daily driver but if it will last that much longer, I'd consider it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT