Best place to buy camshaft? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Best place to buy camshaft?

Grimace needs a new camshaft on the driver side of the block. I've been looking online but there are just way too many options. So. I'm asking the experts. Where should I look and what should I look for when buying a camshaft? I have no intentions on ever racing him, he's just for my own guilty pleasures. And I've learned from experience that cheaper is NEVER better. Any suggestions?
Grimace96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Comp cams, you can get them from AM, late model restoration anywhere really

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Whoops! For some reason I thought you had an 05-10 3v GT! Forget what I said about the FRPP Hot Rod camshafts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace96 View Post
Grimace needs a new camshaft on the driver side of the block. I've been looking online but there are just way too many options. So. I'm asking the experts. Where should I look and what should I look for when buying a camshaft? I have no intentions on ever racing him, he's just for my own guilty pleasures. And I've learned from experience that cheaper is NEVER better. Any suggestions?
Since you're already buying a camshaft one way or another, are you looking for a characteristic changes to your Mustang's engine? Such as a high power band, or more radical idle, or more mid-ranged torque, etc?

I see you're not racing the car, so I don't imagine you want to replace the valve springs or any other extra components that are required for more radical camshafts. With that in mind, I highly recommend the Ford Racing Hot Rod Camshafts. They give you a little bit of everything, but a tame enough to run with the stock valve springs and what not. The FRPP Hot Rod Cams also have a more aggressive idle than the stock camshafts!

If there's any of information you're looking for or have questions on, please let me know. I'm here to help!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can't just buy one camshaft... Not sure if you are not familiar with OHV engines or I missed something. If you are looking to upgrade from the PI cams (if you are a 99-04) then I'd recommend Cushman.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Never said I was buying just one, I just simply stated the driver side needed to be replaced. It has a lot of flat spots and is causing the lifters (that I JUST replaced) to miss and skip I guess. I took it to Ford today and they showed me what was up. I'm replacing both, don't worry. I was just asking about which ones would be best. And where to get them. Because I certainly don't want to waste $1000 to just turn around with a blown engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You can't just buy one camshaft... Not sure if you are not familiar with OHV engines or I missed something. If you are looking to upgrade from the PI cams (if you are a 99-04) then I'd recommend Cushman.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, no intentions on racing. He's a daily driver.
As far as future upgrades, I haven't really put too much thought into it other than replacing the CAI that's in it already. It's one of those where the filter is on the bottom near the wheel so, driving on rainy days is a little iffy. I've got a short throw shifter I'm about to throw in it next weekend, not sure if that really matters or not. I wouldn't think so. I'm still in learning mode, so I don't know what has which affects on what parts and whatnot. I'm doing all the upgrades myself, so common sense tells me the smaller things are first. such as CAI, exhaust, injectors, wiring, and plugs for the starts. I plan on upgrading my injectors to at least 21lbs instead of the stock 19s. I've already got an aftermarket throttle, stage 2 clutch, bbk CAI (which I'm replacing), flowmaster (which I'm replacing with the newer cat back flowmasters). Other than that, I don't really have much mroe intentions other than decking him out in purple all throughout the hood. Which, affects absolutely nothing that we're talking about lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Since you're already buying a camshaft one way or another, are you looking for a characteristic changes to your Mustang's engine? Such as a high power band, or more radical idle, or more mid-ranged torque, etc?

I see you're not racing the car, so I don't imagine you want to replace the valve springs or any other extra components that are required for more radical camshafts. With that in mind, I highly recommend the Ford Racing Hot Rod Camshafts. They give you a little bit of everything, but a tame enough to run with the stock valve springs and what not. The FRPP Hot Rod Cams also have a more aggressive idle than the stock camshafts!

If there's any of information you're looking for or have questions on, please let me know. I'm here to help!

Shane
Old 05-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol I guess I missed that.

Well, just keep in mind that with a set of aftermarket cams you are going to need a good dyno tune which is going to run another $600-$800 but if you get a good set you'll pick up 30rwhp with all the other "bolt ons" being already done. Like I said I'd go with Cushman.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yeah, no intentions on racing. He's a daily driver.
As far as future upgrades, I haven't really put too much thought into it other than replacing the CAI that's in it already. It's one of those where the filter is on the bottom near the wheel so, driving on rainy days is a little iffy. I've got a short throw shifter I'm about to throw in it next weekend, not sure if that really matters or not. I wouldn't think so. I'm still in learning mode, so I don't know what has which affects on what parts and whatnot. I'm doing all the upgrades myself, so common sense tells me the smaller things are first. such as CAI, exhaust, injectors, wiring, and plugs for the starts. I plan on upgrading my injectors to at least 21lbs instead of the stock 19s. I've already got an aftermarket throttle, stage 2 clutch, bbk CAI (which I'm replacing), flowmaster (which I'm replacing with the newer cat back flowmasters). Other than that, I don't really have much mroe intentions other than decking him out in purple all throughout the hood. Which, affects absolutely nothing that we're talking about lol.
Whoops! For some reason I thought you had an 05-10 3v GT. Forget what I said about the FRPP Hot Rod Camshafts, as they're not designed for your 96-04 GT.

If you want to keep your car with basic bolt-ons than, I'd go with a mild set of camshafts. You won't need a dyno tune with mild profile camshafts and you'll retain good drive-ability manners. I suggest something simple like the Comp Cams Stage1 Xtreme Energy XE262AH camshafts. They'll suit you well with no issues!

Secondly, I see you have a few other upgrades in the plans which is great. Although with these Stage1 cams,the extra upgrades aren't required, but will still benefit your engine. Upgraded fuel injectors won't be necessary until you're producing almost 300rwhp. Even with full bolt-on mods, you won't need to upgrade the injectors. I'd keep that in mind, so you don't spend any unnecessary money at the moment.

If you need more help with finding the right setup, just let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
MMR sells brand new factory "Take-out" PI cams for $70. for the set.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
MMR sells brand new factory "Take-out" PI cams for $70. for the set.
For just a straight up camshaft replacement with nothing else needed besides new gaskets this would be the best route.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, your car is a 96 isn't it Grimace? Non PI?
For what you want to do with the car, I'd just do the PI swap (heads, cams, intake) and call it good.
You'll get a noticeable boost in power and have a nice reliable car.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well that makes sense seeing as the username has a 96 lol. Honestly PI cams and a PI intake on NPI heads would be a nice upgrade too. The NPI heads have been proven to actually be decent heads, its the cams and the intake that are where most of the power is locked up.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the nice thing about the updated heads is the spark plug hole threads.

The heads are about $900 for the complete pair and then whatever the manifold costs, Grimace...
Old 05-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Gah! You guys are way more helpful than Google lol. One question though. I'm still new remember, idk what PI means lol
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's Performance Improved or Power Improved... something like that. Lol
Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Power Improved heads. From 96-98 one of the biggest complaints with the Mustang GT is that it was just a turd compared to the pushrod. Ford introduced redesigned heads/intake and camshafts in 1999 to bump horsepower up from 215 to 260. Mostly it was the cams and intake. If you put the heads on a flow bench the NPI heads actually flow more CFM but the design of the PI heads allows for a bit more power.

The nice thing about swapping to the PI stuff on a NPI shortblock is that you get a pretty good compression bump up to 10.5:1 which means that, all other things being equal, a PI swapped 96-98 car makes more power than a 99-04.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

All these acronyms........

You gotta spell these things out lol.

Quote:
Power Improved heads. From 96-98 one of the biggest complaints with the Mustang GT is that it was just a turd compared to the pushrod. Ford introduced redesigned heads/intake and camshafts in 1999 to bump horsepower up from 215 to 260. Mostly it was the cams and intake. If you put the heads on a flow bench the NPI heads actually flow more CFM but the design of the PI heads allows for a bit more power.

The nice thing about swapping to the PI stuff on a NPI shortblock is that you get a pretty good compression bump up to 10.5:1 which means that, all other things being equal, a PI swapped 96-98 car makes more power than a 99-04.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
All these acronyms........

You gotta spell these things out lol.
Lol I'm military, you should see some of the acronyms we have. When I was flying I'd usually have to reset the VIP and the TCAS computer before we fired up the APU and aligned the IRUs and that was just normal ops.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

My boyfriend is in the Air Force and my ex husband was in the army so I've been confused for many years lol

Quote:
Lol I'm military, you should see some of the acronyms we have. When I was flying I'd usually have to reset the VIP and the TCAS computer before we fired up the APU and aligned the IRUs and that was just normal ops.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My ex and I were discussing my car this morning (mustangs are the only conversations we can have without wanting to punch each other in the face). He said my car already has PI upgrades. How do I determine what these upgrades are? What do I look at and for and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Actually, your car is a 96 isn't it Grimace? Non PI?

For what you want to do with the car, I'd just do the PI swap (heads, cams, intake) and call it good.

You'll get a noticeable boost in power and have a nice reliable car.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Unsure about the heads from the exterior, cams you could not tell unless you knew but the intake you can tell by just visually looking at it. Look up pics of the PI vs NPI intake and then just go gander at it.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

He said something about the PI will connect to number 5 and the NPI will connect to number 1. Well, which one is 1 and which one is 5? Lol
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

It probably has a PI intake swap, that is common for the NPI cars. They just look physically different from up top. I know what he is talking about, just having a mind fart...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT