Audio System Suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Audio System Suggestions

Hey guys, I have an 02 gt without the mach audio system. I have four hertz speakers and a kenwood head unit that sounds incredible as far as clarity; however, I have no low end bass "punch". The only way I can describe it is when I sit in my dads car (audi) the speakers do not sound any better however the bass is so much better in his car. I dont want a sub that is going to shake my car apart, I just want something to help out with the lows so I can get that new luxury car sound if that makes any sense. I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations as far as what size sub I would need and ideally I would like something that could fit under the seat, but im not sure if that is possible. Anyways let me know any suggestions you might have.

Thanks
nhrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I would just get a 10" or 2. They sound nice. And still have a range or sound with the low end. And they don't weigh a lot
rathke83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
agreed. a good 10" sub will suit you without taking up much space. and they pack a good punch. perfect if your wanting a good bass bump without feeling it in the seat.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Single 10" sub in the back with a dedicated amp. Bypass the crap factory amp located in front of the shifter and then power a good set of 3 way speakers with a speaker amp of your choice. Or if you don't want to go that crazy just power the speakers off the headunit. Even though no headunit pushes the advertised "50x4" it will push more than the stock amp and sound better doing it.

You can put a good set of surface mount tweeters in the triangle panels or just find a set of Mach tweeters and gut them and put in something that doesn't suck for a more factory look.

My budget setup is:

Pioneer single DIN headunit
Pioneer 2 way 6x8s
Bazooka 10" tube
Kicker amp for bazooka
Rockford Fosgate Punch 75HD (old school) speaker amp

Actually did this combo for free out pieces on my shelf that I've had in past vehicles lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Ok so I think a 10 inch seems to be what I'm leaning towards but my next question would be do I need a 5 channel amp or just a mono. And has anyone tried the subs with a built in amp?
nhrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

I always throw a mono amp at the sub and a totally separate amp for the speakers (or just run off the HU if you don't care too much). Like I said just make sure to bypass the garbage factory amp.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
just get a cheap mono amp. even a 2 channel will do. id say for no more than you want a good 250w amp should do.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

My Kicker is a 250 watt two channel but that is 250 per channel not 250 overall. Powered my old 12s just fine. I have half a mind to see if I can find a good deal on a 10" JL sub instead of the bazooka tube I have but the bazooka is free...

Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
My Kicker is a 250 watt two channel but that is 250 per channel not 250 overall. Powered my old 12s just fine. I have half a mind to see if I can find a good deal on a 10" JL sub instead of the bazooka tube I have but the bazooka is free...
how is the bazooka tube?

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

I actually still have to hook it up lol. I've ridden in cars with them before... they make bass but don't hit super hard or anything. I'm not even sure I am going to hook it up since I am lazy and don't feel like messing with running a 0 gauge wire all the way to the trunk. I may wait till I move the battery to the trunk to install it. The PO has an 8 gauge wire already installed for the RF amp that's back there so that's easy.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Audio System Suggestions

I have a 1500W 12" paired with a mono 1200 w amp... That baby bumps. I am ready to get it into my GT... I pulled it out from my v6 when I sold it.

More than likely your dads foreign has better quality speakers and bigger ones. My moms Toyota bumped way better than my f150 because it had 6x9's in it. Was much more bass heavy.

In all honesty, you could put you in some hefty door speakers and prolly get better sound. Up to you

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I actually still have to hook it up lol. I've ridden in cars with them before... they make bass but don't hit super hard or anything. I'm not even sure I am going to hook it up since I am lazy and don't feel like messing with running a 0 gauge wire all the way to the trunk. I may wait till I move the battery to the trunk to install it. The PO has an 8 gauge wire already installed for the RF amp that's back there so that's easy.

What the heck do you need 0 gauge for? That's just a waste for most systems up until like 1k+

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Because it was given to me by a buddy who HAD a $1k system and its coiled nice and neatly on the shelf with a big inline fuse right now just chilling waiting to be installed in something else. I know how much they can cost so it was one of the things I pulled out of the car before I sold it.

Also because if I was going to run a cable all the way the hell to the trunk in my Cobra I was damned if I was going to do it more than once.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'll bet a free bazooka tube sounds awesome!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone heard of the big 3? I'm wondering if I should do it in my GT. I did it in my v6, but don't wanna bother with it again when I put my system in this car. Do gt's have a stronger alt/electrical system versus the v6?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Has anyone heard of the big 3? I'm wondering if I should do it in my GT. I did it in my v6, but don't wanna bother with it again when I put my system in this car. Do gt's have a stronger alt/electrical system versus the v6?
It rings a bell. I only ever redo the main grounding strap and add a second to the pass side while checking the rest of my grounds for corrosion. And for this 98 I haven't even done that. The bastard looks almost like a new vehicle underneath. Only corrosion at all is a little around the gas tank.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a single Punch 10" in my Chrysler 300 with a 2 channel Fockford Fosgate Amp ran mono to it. Hit like Mike Tyson and loved it
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It rings a bell. I only ever redo the main grounding strap and add a second to the pass side while checking the rest of my grounds for corrosion. And for this 98 I haven't even done that. The bastard looks almost like a new vehicle underneath. Only corrosion at all is a little around the gas tank.

So in your opinion, you wouldn't bother. Right?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT