exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

exhaust question

I did a search, read through many threads but really couldn't nail down a definitive answer to this question. I know it's going to sound like a bone-headed noobie question, but:

is the "echo" note of these aftermarket exhausts a product of an X-pipe, or is it the chamber design of a certain muffler? I love the European symphonic sound of the exotics, and every now and again I get passed by various mustangs that have that echo-y note to their exhaust and since I'm buying another mustang to replace the one the wife took, I want that note. Also, I'm wanting to put a Catted X-pipe on and "if" the echo note is produced by an x-pipe, will the cats kill it or just dampen it?

Thanks for any info,
Joe
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The echo sound your hearing is most times flowmaster mufflers. Those are chambered and most of them have a echoey sound. X pipes give a rasp more than echo but i dont think a catted x will kill the chambered echo sound. Im running a stock catted h with flowmasters and i still have an echo exhaust note.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd85 View Post
The echo sound your hearing is most times flowmaster mufflers. Those are chambered and most of them have a echoey sound. X pipes give a rasp more than echo but i dont think a catted x will kill the chambered echo sound. Im running a stock catted h with flowmasters and i still have an echo exhaust note.

Thank you for the information. Flow master it is
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a magnaflow catback exhaust and magnaflow true x x pipe and it sounds pretty close to an exotic car
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanadams22 View Post
I have a magnaflow catback exhaust and magnaflow true x x pipe and it sounds pretty close to an exotic car
Magnaflows or a similar muffler like an Ultra Flow or a Borla is easily the best sounding setup IMO. Flowmasters have that distinct sound at idle and low RPM but get really tinny and raspy at high RPM whereas the Magnaflows et al just SCREAM.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Magnaflows or a similar muffler like an Ultra Flow or a Borla is easily the best sounding setup IMO. Flowmasters have that distinct sound at idle and low RPM but get really tinny and raspy at high RPM whereas the Magnaflows et al just SCREAM.

+1 magnaflows are extremely loud at WOT and sound more exotic than a flow master would.
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

I was always getting asked wtf exhaust I had on my 95 when I had the dynomaxes. NOBODY else was running them. My roommate liked them so much he had a shop order the magnaflow kit (sounds damn close to the Dynomax Ultras) instead for his 04 when he first got it. Back in the day (2004), a really good shop in Dover, DE was doing $360 specials on Flowmaster or Magnaflow catbacks installed. They had to special order the Magnaflows because, according to them, "nobody wants the Magnaflow over the Flowmaster so we don't normally stock it". They also told us both that his car sounded 1000x better than all the others they were doing with the American Thunder kit and they were correct in that assessment.

Wow I sound like a Magnaflow salesman haha.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My flowmasters sound great at WOT and at idle.on my 5.0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
running 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Love me some flows! X or H, both still sounds good.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Be careful around town if you get a offroad x, coppers have been staring at me since ive switched lol hard to keep quiet around town. Or mine is anyway.

hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd85 View Post
Be careful around town if you get a offroad x, coppers have been staring at me since ive switched lol hard to keep quiet around town. Or mine is anyway.

This is one of the reasons I went with the ultras or a reason to go with a straight through. Off idle and low RPM around town is quiet enough to keep the coppers happy. I've said many times, an exhaust that has the main focus of being loud and that is it usually sounds like **** compared to a quieter one that is a better quality muffler/mid pipe/overall parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust