I need opinion on buying mustang please!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Region: Texas
I need opinion on buying mustang please!!

I'm new to the mustangs.. An I have what I think is a good deal it's a 03 gt with a cobra body for 7000 here is a list of mods it has on it:

•Stage 5 comp cams
•Comp Spring and retainers
•pi (power improvement) heads
•Rebuilt engine w/ internals
•BBK aftermarket intake manifold
•accel coils accel injectors 24lbs
•E3 spark plugs
•Exedy stage 2 clutch w flywheel
•BBK headers
•Pypes x pipe
•Pypes catback
•Eibach lowering springs 2inch
•78mm throttle body
•Diablo sport tune
•New oil pump
•Ported heads
•New valves

Is that a good deal?? Zero miles on the motor an all that I'm going to have to break it in.
unifiedef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I need opinion on buying mustang please!!

Stage 5 cams? In a GT? Holy hell. I imagine the drivability in that car suffers from that.

My personal opinion is look for a Clean, Low mileage GT with few mods. You don't want to inherit someone else's headache. To be blunt, a 99-04 gt requires a good chunk of change to go fast. Slap a few bolt ons to your GT, and enjoy it for the 10-15 year old car it is.

Seeing as the car hasn't been broken in yet, You have absolutely no idea what that motor will run like, or how well it was put together.

I also have a hard time believing that that motor is tuned with diablo sport. An engine build like that most likely requires a custom dyno tune.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Even if it's all new? Nothing is broke in.. And it's homeboys too.. But that's what I'm worried about but idk I'm stuck man I just like the zero miles..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Theres a guy on here and his GT is well over 200k miles and he drives it all the time. You don't really have to worry about the longevity of the 4.6 motor. If you take care of them, They'll take care of you.

The only thing that sticks out to me, is the stage 5 cams, and diablo sport tune. That makes absolutely no sense to me right there. Unless it's just using the diablo tune as a crutch to get it to a dyno or something. But that is a pretty serious engine job, to trust with a generic diablo tune. Why has the current owner not taken the time to break in the motor yet?
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
ZERO miles? So has he driven to test this built motor?

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't see a price. Are there receipts? How do you know it was out together correctly? It could blow up tomorrow and your SOL! I'd stay away from cars like this. They can be a money put and a nightmare. I'd say hell no.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #7

It's $7,000 and idk I was going to take it to get dyno in Dallas to break in the motor and yes he has recipts for everything. It runs they have takin it around the block a couple times so not exactly zero on the dot but still I think I'm going to try to convince him to take it to the dyno to see cause the dyno will tell you everything pretty much right?
Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedef View Post
It's $7,000 and idk I was going to take it to get dyno in Dallas to break in the motor and yes he has recipts for everything. It runs they have takin it around the block a couple times so not exactly zero on the dot but still I think I'm going to try to convince him to take it to the dyno to see cause the dyno will tell you everything pretty much right?

I don't think so lol. But I'm not experienced with dyno's. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that one

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
well, if it makes it thru the dyno pull, it should be ok right? lol

i say NO, NO, NO.

unless its already been proven to be a reliable build, your buying with eyes closed.

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #10

True..

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

It would take about 1500 miles for everything to break in that what they were saying
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
My personal opinion is look for a Clean, Low mileage GT with few mods. You don't want to inherit someone else's headache.
+1

if you are looking for something with serious power and rubber melting starts, look for something older with a big block. if you are looking for a fun mustang to drive around and enjoy some twists and turns, then look for one with a relatively stock power plant and chassis to start with. this allows you to build it the way you want, and it gives you the piece of mind of knowing how it was put together. I also didn't see anything about the Trans and rearend. I'm relatively new to the "tuning" scene, but I'm an old school builder and we would never put much power through a stock trans and axles without "beefing" them up first or going straight to aftermarket transmissions and axles. I could be wrong and the stock transmissions might be able to handle a sizable amount of power and if I am, I'm sure someone will chime in and ed-ju-ma-kate us both lol .

whatever you decide I hope you find what it is you're shopping for.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedef View Post
I'm new to the mustangs.. An I have what I think is a good deal it's a 03 gt with a cobra body for 7000 here is a list of mods it has on it:

•Stage 5 comp cams Actual cam number?
•Comp Spring and retainers
•pi (power improvement) heads those are stock heads
•Rebuilt engine w/ internals WHAT internals, all engines have them
•BBK aftermarket intake manifold I'm guessing you mean air intake and the BBK is not that great in this regard.
•accel coils accel injectors 24lbs Non-stock coils are not as good as OEM
•E3 spark plugs junk plugs
•Exedy stage 2 clutch w flywheel
•BBK headers
•Pypes x pipe Pypes is a cheap Chinese brand
•Pypes catback see above
•Eibach lowering springs 2inch
•78mm throttle body
•Diablo sport tune
•New oil pump
•Ported headswho ported them and what are the numbers?
•New valves

Is that a good deal?? Zero miles on the motor an all that I'm going to have to break it in.
With that parts list, I would stay the hell away. I mean, see what it makes on the dyno and see what sort of warranty the shop has but... IMHO get a clean, unmolested one and go from there OR look for a 98-02 LS1 F body.

Sorry if I sound like an *** but trying to keep you from making a mistake I did when I was young and bought a "modded" car. Nothing but a headache and you'll typically find that there are a lot of little things that get conveniently left out that you have to discover yourself. That's why it is best to buy stock IMO.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah my vote is with Scott you really don't know what has been done to the stang. I think you need to put 500 miles of cruising on the motor before the dynamic pull to break the motor in the right way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
running 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT