300 Horse - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

300 Horse

I'm aware that these cars aren't a powerhouse from the factory but I'm curious as to if I can get 300 hp and more torque from a naturally aspirated 2v. I would buy a supercharger if money permitted but college is taking all of that. What kind of mods would it take to push 300 hp say at the crank for now, besides nitrous of course?
MonsterStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Full bolt ons and a decent cam should get you there or very very close
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
At the crank full bolt ons and a tune will get you pretty close. At the wheels you will need cams and it will be in the 280-290 range. However its really just a number, times matter more.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Full bolt ons and cams should net you about 300, add a good set of heads to match those cams and you can see 320-330 maybe on stock compression.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
put it this way, my cousins old 2000 gt. fully built motor stroked to 5.6, trickflow heads,with extra port/polish/ stage 5 nitrous cam, trick flow intake, full boltons, longtubes, offroad mid, catback, on motor made 340hp / 370tq. also 11.5 compression
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
put it this way, my cousins old 2000 gt. fully built motor stroked to 5.6, trickflow heads,with extra port/polish/ stage 5 nitrous cam, trick flow intake, full boltons, longtubes, offroad mid, catback, on motor made 340hp / 370tq. also 11.5 compression

Haha ... that is sad.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

That's kind of depressing tbh
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Haha ... that is sad.

yes, he was upset after he finally got it done. all that money he was pissed. especially after he had to use a 100 shot to be bumper to bumper with a full Bolton 2011 SS automatic. he sold the mustang after that and bought a 06 GTO. which is now full exhaust/ intake/ ms3 cam

his mustang sounded amazing. just for the 2v's stay with a lot of nitrous/ built motor, or boost. don't waste all the money like he did.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

300 Horse

That's why I'm not even touching my 2v, just going to swap it out....... And no ish I'm not putting in an LSx

HID end all thread
Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That's why I'm not even touching my 2v, just going to swap it out....... And no ish I'm not putting in an LSx
I'm not touching my 2V either honestly. Not yet anyway. I may actually sell my 98 to my father who wants it for a DD when it isn't snowing/icing out and put that $$$ and tax returns this year to getting nearly completely out of any debt minus the mortgage and then turn around and finance a 2011+ A6 Coyote. For the price I would pay to build a capable modular, plus the drivetrain, plus the power adder, plus the fuel system, plus the value of the car itself I would likely be into it for more than the $20k or so I'd pay for a nice clean automagic Coyote.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If no LSx, then consider these swaps ...

4.0 Jeep
B18C Honda
RB26DETT Nissan
2JZGTE Supra
5.8 Ford Trinity
Viper V10
13B-REW Mazda Wankel
Prius swap
4G63T Mistubishi
1.0L Geo
Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

4.0 Jeep
B18C Honda
RB26DETT Nissan
2JZGTE Supra
5.8 Ford Trinity
Viper V10
13B-REW Mazda Wankel
Prius swap
4G63T Mistubishi
1.0L Geo
Lol, a guy I went to HS with had one of those 3 cylinder Geo Metros. bwahaha.

ISH, what would you say to a 5.3L Vortec swap vs a LQ4/9? The more I read up on the 5.3L and what ppl are doing with power adders to basically stock ones the more my interest is piqued. Especially what with On3 having just released a $1700 LSX/Mustang swap turbo kit.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

4.0 Jeep
B18C Honda
RB26DETT Nissan
2JZGTE Supra
5.8 Ford Trinity
Viper V10
13B-REW Mazda Wankel
Prius swap
4G63T Mistubishi
1.0L Geo
I did consider the LSx at one point, but being a more special model car i wanted to at least keep it Ford. The RB26, 2JZ and Viper V10 i wouldn't mind though.

HID end all thread
Old 06-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol, a guy I went to HS with had one of those 3 cylinder Geo Metros. bwahaha.

ISH, what would you say to a 5.3L Vortec swap vs a LQ4/9? The more I read up on the 5.3L and what ppl are doing with power adders to basically stock ones the more my interest is piqued. Especially what with On3 having just released a $1700 LSX/Mustang swap turbo kit.
The 4.8/5.3 are under rated, stout little engines. I may have mentioned it before, but I know of a guy who had a fox body with a turbo 5.3 running around with 800+ rwhp on low boost. It was a DD and on completely stock internals. On high boost, it put down I think 1030 rwhp or something close to that.

I think he ended up putting over 20,000 miles or close to it on that setup until the engine finally let go. I believe he drove it 2 or 3 years.

The thing with the 4.8/5.3 is that they are small engines. Doing the same thing to the 6.0 will likely gain 30 - 40 rwhp and probably 40 - 60 more rwtq. Also, if you are going turbo, that big 6.0 is going to spool that turbo at least 500 rpm sooner than the smaller engines will.

On the other hand, the 4.8 and 5.3 are more common and cheaper.

The 5.3 is the one I would try to get as the 4.8 is the bastard of the LSx engines.

I would recommend looking for a 5.3 aluminum block, unless huge power is your goal.

I think there are 2, 5.3 aluminum engines, I think the 5.3 HO (L33) and the standard 5.3 (LM4). I think the 5.3 HO came with high compression pistons, 243 heads (LS6) with different valves and a different cam.

These engines are harder to find, however, I believe that they come standard in the Trailblazer and Envoy with the V8's, I can't confirm it but I've personally worked on several and all of them had the aluminum 5.3. Not sure if it was the HO or not.

Those should be fairly close to a stock LS1 in power with all the accessories and intake switched over. They should also respond just as well to mods as the LS1 does.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Here. Just leave on a 200 shot and your second stage of a 100 come on in 3rd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

There's a Trinity on Ebay right now... 15 grand.

We should all have a sign, that swings down as the hood opens, saying, "Abandon all hope, those who enter here".
I like my car and, for my purposes, it seems to work just fine. I think that 300+ whp would still make for a fun to drive daily driver. That's all that I'm aiming for with my engine build. And I want a lot of that power to happen at the bottom so no big cams. Just a, relatively, simple and reliable engine.
I'm going to be content beating 500+ hp Vette's out on the autocross course and if I ever feel the desire to beat one in a straight line... I'm going to buy a 500+ hp Vette.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
The 4.8/5.3 are under rated, stout little engines. I may have mentioned it before, but I know of a guy who had a fox body with a turbo 5.3 running around with 800+ rwhp on low boost. It was a DD and on completely stock internals. On high boost, it put down I think 1030 rwhp or something close to that.

I think he ended up putting over 20,000 miles or close to it on that setup until the engine finally let go. I believe he drove it 2 or 3 years.

The thing with the 4.8/5.3 is that they are small engines. Doing the same thing to the 6.0 will likely gain 30 - 40 rwhp and probably 40 - 60 more rwtq. Also, if you are going turbo, that big 6.0 is going to spool that turbo at least 500 rpm sooner than the smaller engines will.

On the other hand, the 4.8 and 5.3 are more common and cheaper.

The 5.3 is the one I would try to get as the 4.8 is the bastard of the LSx engines.

I would recommend looking for a 5.3 aluminum block, unless huge power is your goal.

I think there are 2, 5.3 aluminum engines, I think the 5.3 HO (L33) and the standard 5.3 (LM4). I think the 5.3 HO came with high compression pistons, 243 heads (LS6) with different valves and a different cam.

These engines are harder to find, however, I believe that they come standard in the Trailblazer and Envoy with the V8's, I can't confirm it but I've personally worked on several and all of them had the aluminum 5.3. Not sure if it was the HO or not.

Those should be fairly close to a stock LS1 in power with all the accessories and intake switched over. They should also respond just as well to mods as the LS1 does.
Wow thanks, that is VERY informative.

I was not aware the 5.3L came in aluminum, thought they were all iron. I guess its like some PI motors were aluminum in Exploders just for the Envoy/Blazer. I do hear they are within 10hp of a LS1 on real world dyno tests but that might be wrong. I'll have to do more research. If I was going to spend the $$$ to build a modular I probably should just sell my 98 and buy a coyote. However, if I was to find a 5.3L and transmission at cost neutral-$1k invested after I sold my PI and brand new 3650 that would be pretty sick. My biggest hurdle would be OBDII emissions but I did research that EFI live can easily write whatever VIN you want to pass the OBD scanner and then turn off any DTCs that pop up so as long as I have a functional OBDII port I should be fine right?

I know motor mounts are almost a bolt on or you can buy modded ones, I know any 4.6L K member works and I know there are ready to go harnesses all over the place. I know that a few ppl who have access to full machine shops have actually used the 4.6L computer to run a LSx but that's not me and I planned on switching to a Florida 5.0 gauge cluster regardless so I really don't care about the stock inaccurate cluster anyway. Only thing I have not really looked at is how to get the HVAC working but that's probably pretty simple.

So if I was to go with a 5.3L and planned on a turbo the L33 HO is the one I want? I'd honestly rather get a NA L33 HO and whatever trans into this car before I did a Tork Tech or other Supercharger which would probably cost more honestly. And then worry about a power adder later with a bolt on cammed LSx right? If a cam only LS1 can make near 400 to the wheels I'm assuming the L33 with the LS6 heads and higher compression would do the same with a good cam and tune.

I need to stop...

Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
My biggest hurdle would be OBDII emissions but I did research that EFI live can easily write whatever VIN you want to pass the OBD scanner and then turn off any DTCs that pop up so as long as I have a functional OBDII port I should be fine right?

I know motor mounts are almost a bolt on or you can buy modded ones, I know any 4.6L K member works and I know there are ready to go harnesses all over the place. I know that a few ppl who have access to full machine shops have actually used the 4.6L computer to run a LSx but that's not me and I planned on switching to a Florida 5.0 gauge cluster regardless so I really don't care about the stock inaccurate cluster anyway. Only thing I have not really looked at is how to get the HVAC working but that's probably pretty simple.

So if I was to go with a 5.3L and planned on a turbo the L33 HO is the one I want? I'd honestly rather get a NA L33 HO and whatever trans into this car before I did a Tork Tech or other Supercharger which would probably cost more honestly. And then worry about a power adder later with a bolt on cammed LSx right? If a cam only LS1 can make near 400 to the wheels I'm assuming the L33 with the LS6 heads and higher compression would do the same with a good cam and tune.
Most of the tuning software should be able to change the VIN to whatever it needs to be.

From what I know, physically swapping in an LS into a 4.6 engine bay, is basically the same or easier than swapping in another modular.

The wiring would be the hardest part if you were to do it yourself. Luckily, there are custom harnesses and all that crap readily available. To make it basically plug and play.

I would assume the HVAC should be rather simple, I can't foresee it being a major problem.

The L33 can't run the huge cams because of the flat top pistons. So that is something to keep in mind. I would say 380 rwhp and 350 rwtq is probably the upper limit of an NA 5.3 without investing a good bit of money for a Fast intake and aftermarket heads.

But, that same setup on an LS1 or 6.0 would likely gain 30+ rwtq and 20+ rwhp along with the ability to go with bigger cams if that's your fancy.

If you are thinking boost, just install an LS6 cam, intake and boost away, the internals will hold 600+ rwhp stock, all day long.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'll definitely gander at it some more. If I was to get a L33 I would:

-Rod bolts
-LS9 headgaskets
-Head Studs
-LS6 intake
-Take the heads up to a really good porter 40 min north of here and have him do a little work to the heads
-Full bolt ons
-LS6 or most agressive "street cam" I could run with those pistons

At any rate I'd be more than happy at 380hp honestly. Like I said I really need to look more into this swap vs just taking the easy way out and getting a cheap supercharger for the 2V and also hitting right around the 400hp number.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'll definitely look at it some more, although not sure where ppl are seeing these $500 L33 or LM4 motors at. Everywhere I looked seems like they want $1k+ for ones with 80k miles or more. I will have to keep looking around and see what pops up. I am really just window shopping now, I'm not really looking to buy unless a deal I just couldn't pass up on comes along.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterStang View Post
I'm aware that these cars aren't a powerhouse from the factory but I'm curious as to if I can get 300 hp and more torque from a naturally aspirated 2v. I would buy a supercharger if money permitted but college is taking all of that. What kind of mods would it take to push 300 hp say at the crank for now, besides nitrous of course?

You can either do full bolt one with heads and cams depending how big of cams you get you can get as low as 298rwhp-315rwhp no boost no spray.. Or you can supercharge it and most supercharged 2vs I've seen can be up higher closer to 400rwhp depending on what's already done and how much boost. You can turbo it same for how much boost really. Or twin turbo it. Cheapest way would be to spray it.
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT