Headlight Bulb?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Headlight Bulb??

what kind of headlight and foglight combos are you guys running that are not HID. looking for something better than stock
john.petr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

I've tried a few different bulbs myself ranging from slyvania to LED but I recommend bucking up and buying the HID kit instead of messing around
cobrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.petr0 View Post
what kind of headlight and foglight combos are you guys running that are not HID. looking for something better than stock
I'd just put a better set of bulbs in and re-aim your housings if you don't want to do HIDs. OSRAM (not Sylvania) Silverstars or Philips Xtreme bulbs. Most of the "super bright omfg" bulbs like sylvania silverstars, philips crystalvision, raxiom whatevers are gimmick lights that make you think they are brighter with white light achieved with a blue film on the bulb. Blue film on the bulb actually lowers the overall lumen output.

For fogs I run Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs. Yellow light is actually the range most pleasing to the eye and will allow you to see best in fog/rain conditions when you need them. They do not need to be on other than in those conditions so being functional is more important than being as bright as possible.

Now if you ever DID want to do HIDs, you should get some projectors or do a HID Retrofit which puts an OEM style projector into your reflector housing. It isn't cheap but its the best way. I personally have a high quality HID kit in a set of DEPO projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrah View Post
I've tried a few different bulbs myself ranging from slyvania to LED but I recommend bucking up and buying the HID kit instead of messing around
I hope you are talking about a HID kit in a good projector or a HID retrofit. HIDs in reflector housings glare like crazy and turn you into a hazard on the road to all incoming traffic. Even the shielded HID "R" (reflector) bulbs that everyone always touts are only designed for HID R specific housings which Mustang reflectors are not.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'd just put a better set of bulbs in and re-aim your housings if you don't want to do HIDs. OSRAM (not Sylvania) Silverstars or Philips Xtreme bulbs. Most of the "super bright omfg" bulbs like sylvania silverstars, philips crystalvision, raxiom whatevers are gimmick lights that make you think they are brighter with white light achieved with a blue film on the bulb. Blue film on the bulb actually lowers the overall lumen output.

For fogs I run Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs. Yellow light is actually the range most pleasing to the eye and will allow you to see best in fog/rain conditions when you need them. They do not need to be on other than in those conditions so being functional is more important than being as bright as possible.

Now if you ever DID want to do HIDs, you should get some projectors or do a HID Retrofit which puts an OEM style projector into your reflector housing. It isn't cheap but its the best way. I personally have a high quality HID kit in a set of DEPO projectors.

I hope you are talking about a HID kit in a good projector or a HID retrofit. HIDs in reflector housings glare like crazy and turn you into a hazard on the road to all incoming traffic. Even the shielded HID "R" (reflector) bulbs that everyone always touts are only designed for HID R specific housings which Mustang reflectors are not.
cobrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I just put in new headlights with Philips xtreme vision like Scotty said and they are bright as hell. People on the highway sometimes flash their lights at me now to signal that my brights are on and then I give them a quick flash of my actual high beams haha. A bit of a pain for other drivers but sure lights up the ditches better
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Sylvania Silverstars have a hue on the glass, but put out a much brighter white "usable" light over the stock bulb. They say they burn out quicker than stock bulbs, but after two years, mine are still glowing. They are pricey though over the price of standard bulbs. I will however check out the OSRAM Sylvania when these burn out.

I do a lot of early morning highway driving, and catch fog during those times. The yellow fog lights are indeed the better light for cutting through fog, and the lower the lights are parallel to the ground, the better. It amazes me to see folks place a bright white light in the fogs, as this will impeed getting useful light through foggy conditions. The light bounces off the water particles, and produces a glare to the driver. A yellow light is far better, but I guess "coolness" is affected, and therefore not acceptable to most.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Sylvania Silverstars have a hue on the glass, but put out a much brighter white "usable" light over the stock bulb. They say they burn out quicker than stock bulbs, but after two years, mine are still glowing. They are pricey though over the price of standard bulbs. I will however check out the OSRAM Sylvania when these burn out.

I do a lot of early morning highway driving, and catch fog during those times. The yellow fog lights are indeed the better light for cutting through fog, and the lower the lights are parallel to the ground, the better. It amazes me to see folks place a bright white light in the fogs, as this will impeed getting useful light through foggy conditions. The light bounces off the water particles, and produces a glare to the driver. A yellow light is far better, but I guess "coolness" is affected, and therefore not acceptable to most.
I'd suggest reading this article, it might change your mind about the Silverstars. I used to think they were the **** too until I got a legit good bulb in my old stock housings and the Sylvanias don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as my HIR halogens that are in my current DEPOs.

Cliff's notes is that the Sylvanias are actually dimmer than a good OEM bulb.

Edit: Found an old post I made. A is a blue tinted Silverstar bulb. B is a stock yellow halogen and C is a HIR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverstar9005.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	159103   Click image for larger version

Name:	stock9005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	159104  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hir9011.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	159105  
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT