Which intake manifold should I upgrade with? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Lightbulb Which intake manifold should I upgrade with?

Hey Guys,

I have a 2000 Gt Convertible 4.6 V2 and besides a cold air intake it is pretty much all stock (engine wise). I am a very balanced car guy so if it looks like a beast it better drive like a beast. With that said I plan on upgrading the whole body to look sleek and strong. I would like to also upgrade the engine accordingly starting with the intake manifold. ( If you must know why I am starting at the manifold, it is because there is a leak either at the thermostat housing or on the, foolishly made, plastic water transfer on the stock manifold. Since I will be down there I might as well upgrade it)

I am not going for a drag car as this pony will be a daily driver for now but more horsepower is never frowned upon as long as the cost and labor are reasonable.

The question is which manifold will suite my pony and I nicely? Please keep in mind I want to keep the price tag around $350.

Follow up question: With your said choice of manifold, what type and kind of throttle intake or body would you also upgrade too.

Thank you in advance for all of your input!
dathird38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Just stick with the Ford Racing replacement manifold, these cars don't have to top end to support some of the aftermarket intakes like the Edelbrock one. You could look into a Bullitt intake swap but that will put you over budget. You can upgrade your intake plenum and throttlebody for a bit more power if you so desire. The stock plenum is really the choke point in the intake
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For what you are doing a replacement PI intake is your best bet. You can get a new one for $215 on AM/LRS shipped to your door. Get the Fel-Pro gaskets for it which you can get from Rockauto for like $25 vs the $50 a local store will probably want .

I know there is a lot of bad info on upgrading intakes out there on the interwebs but the PI intake actually flows really well and is great besides being plastic.

Ford Racing Mustang Pi Intake Manifold (99-04) GT 4.6L 2V M-9424-P46 - LatemodelRestoration.com

Now, an upgrade you CAN do for your intake system is the plenum since the plenum was not upgraded from the 96-98 cars in 1999. The best bang for the buck plenum is this one

Trick Flow Mustang Intake Plenum Silver (96-04) 4.6 2V 51800001 - LatemodelRestoration.com

So you can do the new intake plus the plenum and be right at your $350 goal

PI intake $215
Plenum $109
Gaskets $25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Just stick with the Ford Racing replacement manifold, these cars don't have to top end to support some of the aftermarket intakes like the Edelbrock one. You could look into a Bullitt intake swap but that will put you over budget. You can upgrade your intake plenum and throttlebody for a bit more power if you so desire. The stock plenum is really the choke point in the intake
Damn, beat me to it. But I posted links!

Also, upgrading the TB is not really required on the stock engine and would put him over the money he wants to spend anyway. It's also stupid easy to replace later on by itself when funds allow.

Oh, also before he asks, torque value on the intake is 22 ft lbs and you MUST torque it to spec properly in the correct sequence or you will break something/have a leak. Just google "pi intake torque sequence" and a bunch of results will pop up in Google images.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have Bullitt intakes on BOTH of my cars.
If you keep an eye out on EBay, a good deal pops up every now and then.
Just make sure that you get everything to go along with it, like the throttle cable.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

You're going to pay $500 usually for the Bullitt intake and then another $300-$500 for all the other associated parts plus likely have to fab up a few things like the EGR and the under intake coolant tube.

The Bullitt intake weighs 40lbs vs like 10 for the PI and only adds 5ft lbs to the wheels across the board. Its GREAT for boosted apps or nitrous if you don't want to deal with the Eddy or the garbage that is the Typhoon but I personally don't think its worth it on a car that didn't come with one already on it. Just my $.02 but I will say they are cool looking.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.
They are VERY pretty!
Kind of a pain in the *** though, as I'm finding out...
I discovered that the air intake, on the car that I just bought, is torn, and like many other parts, is discontinued and extremely difficult to find used. I'll have to get an aftermarket CAI until I can source the original part.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Haha.

They are VERY pretty!

Kind of a pain in the *** though, as I'm finding out...

I discovered that the air intake, on the car that I just bought, is torn, and like many other parts, is discontinued and extremely difficult to find used. I'll have to get an aftermarket CAI until I can source the original part.

Buy me an aftermarket CAI and I'll give you my stock intake.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What kind do you want?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Say JLT say JLT!!!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Actually...................... Ron, help me fund my 5.4 swap and i'll give it to you LOL. I'm compiling a list, i'll take anything thats on that list lol

HID end all thread
Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Actually...................... Ron, help me fund my 5.4 swap and i'll give it to you LOL. I'm compiling a list, i'll take anything thats on that list lol
Haha
And what is on this list? A wrecked Shelby?

I'm still a ways off from having this car running. My block is still at the machine shop and I, just yesterday, got the last of the body parts to get started on making the car pretty again.
I have a good air intake on the other car and I can only drive one at a time anyways, right? Lol
I might even be able to fix the tear.
You'll probably need yours until you do the swap, but if you need some help finding anything on your list I'd be happy to keep an eye out.
I've seen a couple of Navigators, recently, that would make excellent donor vehicles. And if you want something REALLY different, I know where there is a salvage title 2000 Cobra R.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Haha

And what is on this list? A wrecked Shelby?

I'm still a ways off from having this car running. My block is still at the machine shop and I, just yesterday, got the last of the body parts to get started on making the car pretty again.

I have a good air intake on the other car and I can only drive one at a time anyways, right? Lol

I might even be able to fix the tear.

You'll probably need yours until you do the swap, but if you need some help finding anything on your list I'd be happy to keep an eye out.

I've seen a couple of Navigators, recently, that would make excellent donor vehicles. And if you want something REALLY different, I know where there is a salvage title 2000 Cobra R.

I was going to go with the Navigator...... I know where to get a fully re manufactured and machined 5.4 long block from a Navigator (pan to Intake, gaskets and everything). So unless I can find a wrecked one or if I want to skip the entire headache then I can go with that one.... I'll forge everything before it even goes in the car also.

HID end all thread
Old 06-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #13

Region: Florida
Thank you all for the insight. That is pretty much what my thoughts were as well. Sticking with the ford racing manifold and a small bolt on upgrade will most likely do me just fine.
dathird38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT