98 GT starting/acceleration problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Region: North Carolina
98 GT starting/acceleration problem

I bought my dad's 98 GT from him a few years ago and I'm starting to realize he didn't do much regular maintenance on it besides oil changes. For years it's taken it two tries to start up 90% of the time. A few days ago I decided to start giving it a tune up, so I changed the spark plugs (which were shot to hell. I asked and he never replaced them). I also changed the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking. After doing this, it's been having more trouble starting and I'm not getting enough power when I accelerate. When I'm getting on it, it gets to a point where I can't get any more power. I'll keep pushing the accelerator and the rpms stay the same and it bucks slightly. This problem comes and goes randomly. I can't find any correlation with the weather. It also happened once before I started working on it. I put some seafoam in the tank and filled it with premium. It fixed the problem but now it's back. I've heard it could be my fuel filter, MAF sensor, fuel pump, etc. Anyone know where I should start? New wires and coil pack is next on the list, but I'd rather fix this first.

Scoobydoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Texas
My guess would be your fuel pump is slowly fading. First things first: change your fuel filter. It's easy and cheap. See if that fixes it... If not I'd say the pump hasn't died completely but isn't working right.

"Hp sells cars, Tq wins races" - Carroll Shelby... RIP
2012 Mustang GT Convertible
Roush Exhaust

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Region: New Jersey
Fuel filter or fuel pump is a good possibility. If you do get a new pump it has to be 98 specific. The 98 was a transition year and uses a 97-down return style system with a 99-up style pump. Yeah...

Also what plugs did you use, did you gap and torque them properly and did you do new plug wires too? If so which wires? When you did the plugs did you have the MAF exposed at all? Maybe something got on the element? There are a lot of things it could be honestly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT