1999 gt motor swap with 2003 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #1

Region: Canada
1999 gt motor swap with 2003 gt

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any problems putting a 2003 4.6 donor engine into a 1999 gt.I picked up the 1999 gt with a 4.6 Windsor [ cheap] with a knock in the lower end and have found two replacement engines. one is a 2003 gt with 120 km the othe is a 96gt with 95 km. Will both of these bolt in without changing a pile of stuff or is one a better fit
mustangdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Both will fit. The 96 will be under powered unless you swap the heads/cams/intake from the 99 motor onto it. The flywheels are different between the 99 and 03. One is a six bolt and the other is eight. It's possible to swap them, just make sure you have the correct flywheel and clutch
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you use the earlier (96) short block with the later (99-04) PI heads, you'll have an engine that has around 10.5:1 compression ratio versus the 9.4:1 of the 99-04 PI engine.
Higher CR=More Horsepower.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, under powered isn't such a bad thing as I'm giving the car to my sonSO either will fit pretty well. Which would you say is the better engine?The 2 are about the same price but the 96 come with a 5 speed but the 03 has a couple month warrenty, decision decisons.
The orgional engine has been modified and if i cant fix it we can always use it for parts. The guy that i just bought it from had put a tuner into it a little while ago and right after that he says he had problems . He said that he had the idle set to low and when he stopped at lights the oil pump wasn't pumping enough oil ,now the knock.Not sure about that but maybe. It sound real good when cold but when it warms up it will knock when you shift. con rod?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get the 03, the 96 should not even be an option. In 1999 Ford went the to PI motor (performance improved) because the 96-98 (NPI) motors were just turds. With that said you can swap PI stuff (heads, cams and intake) onto a NPI motor and be good to go.

For your car the 03 will be a 99% direct drop in. There are a few things with the accessories like the water pump being different but no biggie. You will need to make sure you get the flywheel with any non 99/00 GT motor because those years used 8 bolt cranks and every other GT used 6 bolt. Again, not a big deal.

One last thing, I'm sure you are going to do a full tune up with spark plugs and all the goodies. At 120k miles you are going to need to rebuild or replace the COPs (coils) and the spark plugs on these engines have a very bad habit of blowing out the threads in the head if you are not careful. You MUST use a torque wrench when doing the spark plugs on these things and torque to 12 ft lbs only. 15 is max but the spec is 12-15 and I would not go higher than I needed to. As far as the COPs, they are $40 each so you'd spend around $320 but if the actual plastic COP housing is fine with no cracks or anything you can replace the springs/rubber boots for around $30 for all of them which is a great alternative.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangdan View Post
Thanks for the replies, under powered isn't such a bad thing as I'm giving the car to my sonSO either will fit pretty well. Which would you say is the better engine?The 2 are about the same price but the 96 come with a 5 speed but the 03 has a couple month warrenty, decision decisons.
The orgional engine has been modified and if i cant fix it we can always use it for parts. The guy that i just bought it from had put a tuner into it a little while ago and right after that he says he had problems . He said that he had the idle set to low and when he stopped at lights the oil pump wasn't pumping enough oil ,now the knock.Not sure about that but maybe. It sound real good when cold but when it warms up it will knock when you shift. con rod?

If that story is true... What a dumbass.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
If that story is true... What a dumbass.
That's actually one of the less dumbastical things I've heard of in the Mustang and modding community at large. Getting a tune to give it a choppy idle isn't much worse than ppl who lug the car around in 5th at 1400 rpm thinking they are going easy on the motor and saving gas when in reality they are putting their bearings though utter hell and getting worse mileage.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips sottydntknow everyone, that's a good tip on the plugs and coil,I was leaning towards the 03 and am glade to hear it's 99% drop in. The guy at the wrecker said you had to change the water pump pulley and the hose to the thermostat.I'll have a good look at the flywheel too.
Would the old computer work on the new motor or do I need that from the donor car?

Thanks Dan
Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You can use your existing computer.
That engine has 120,000 kilometers on it? Thats only 72,000 miles. If it was reasonably maintained, it should be in excellent condition. The spark plugs and ignition system won't need attention for another 30,000 kilometers.
Also, I believe that the 03's had the updated heads so they are less prone to blowing out the spark plugs.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

04s got the updated heads. And regardless you should still be uber careful with the aluminum threads.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

04's?!?!??!!!???
Gee whiz! It was nice of them to fix the damned threads on the last year they producued those heads...
I know, I should really have one of those little, baby torque wrenches but it's a giant battle in my head. Kind of like a little angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other...
Angel: "You need to buy one of those small torque wrenches".
Devil: "Why? I already have a big torque wrench".
Angel: "Scotty says that you need one to do the job right".
Devil: "Scotty is just a kid. I've been doing this longer than Scotty has been alive. Each of my wrists are like finely tuned torque wrenches. Don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing".
Angel: "Pffftttt, how many times have I heard that! Here we go again".
Devil: "You've never had any faith in me. I don't know why I stay with you".

And then they start fighting, as usual....
The voices cause me great conflict in my life.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lulz, and I'd like to think I'm still a kid in my early 30s. Yeah 04 and all the FRPP PI heads were 8 threads. At least the GT got one year of it, the Mach and Cobra with the 4V heads never got 8 threads. That happened in 05 with the Aviator and FRPP heads. Yet another reason to find an 04 AUTO GT in Competition Orange if I ever get a New Edge. 8 thread heads and the beefy 4r75w trans. Only year for those heads AND that trans lol.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Lulz, and I'd like to think I'm still a kid in my early 30s. Yeah 04 and all the FRPP PI heads were 8 threads. At least the GT got one year of it, the Mach and Cobra with the 4V heads never got 8 threads. That happened in 05 with the Aviator and FRPP heads. Yet another reason to find an 04 AUTO GT in Competition Orange if I ever get a New Edge. 8 thread heads and the beefy 4r75w trans. Only year for those heads AND that trans lol.

We all know it won't be a GT.. Yet a termi.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nope, if I was going to spend Termi money it would be on a 2011-2014 Auto Coyote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT