Yay, new 3650 makes noise for the first minute of driving after sitting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yay, new 3650 makes noise for the first minute of driving after sitting

I'm hoping this is just something that will go away as it breaks in. Out of all the Mustangs I've had, this is the first 3650 I've owned myself. My roomate had a 2004 that shifted beautifully and I don't remember it ever making any noise when new but I did not drive it too much (only when I was the DD).

Anyway, basically what happens is after sitting overnight I will start off driving it and about 20-30 seconds in going through my neighborhood at 25mph I hear what sounds like of like a higher pitched howling coming from under the car. Its not super loud, honestly sounds like some sort of air leak but it isn't.

It isn't the TOB, that's new and also the pitch or noise does not change when I let the clutch in or out. It is not RPM dependent and it stops when the car gets near stopping or at a dead stop so I don't even think its the input shaft bearing.

My best guess is its something internal to the trans which will really piss me right the **** off as there are 500 miles on this trans and the 60 day warranty expired 30 days ago. Not that I expect them to not say "oh well you installed it and you are not a shop so warranty is void" but still.

The noise does go away about a minute later and does not come back even when sitting in the parking lot for hours, just overnight. The transmission shifts amazingly and does not make any sort of noises or protest at all even when I hammer it at 6k. I've actually never had a trans that shifted as well as this one does except for the fresh/low mileage T-5s I've had behind the pushrods I've owned. But if it was a sticky bearing in the trans that would not effect the shifting honestly.

Fluid in the trans is 3.2 quarts of Synchromesh, none of that lucas additive "secret sauce" crap or anything. I've used Synchromesh in every single trans I've ever had and I've never had anything work better than it does, plus Tremec themselves specifically recommend it for the 3650.

Sorry for the long winded write up, I'm usually the one on here who is doing the answering haha. But I am worried about this thing and if it starts getting worse then I have to decide if I am finally going to go auto or get the T-45 core I still have built by Zak up at the T45source and the car will be down till next spring if that is the case. No time/money for yet another trans swap, not when I have 3 or 4 things around the house that need fixing.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Damn, my car makes the same noise lol

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mine does the same thing.
Before I purchased the car, I had read about some of the issues that the 3650 has when its cold and that, along with an extremely notchy second gear, are amongst the complaints.
Wait until you get a REALLY cold morning. Lol. My transmission has 150k on it if that makes you feel any better.
You know the drill... Just keep driving it and see if it gets any better, worse, or just stays the same.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

**** I am worried about when it gets cold because it does this in 90 degree weather lol. I actually just took it out to get lunch and it made the noise for about 1/4 mile going 25mph after sitting for appx 5 hours which happened once before in such a short timeframe. I will say that 2nd is NOT notchy whatsoever even when it is dead cold although I don't make a habit ever of beating on an engine/drivetrain that is not warmed up anyway.

I will say that after posting this and taking it out to get lunch and it making the noise I beat the everliving **** out of the car on the way to the diner and it was flawless. 6k shifts from 1-2 and 3-4. No noises, it fell right into gear, no vibrations or anything. I'll just keep driving it and see what happens. I would imagine if it was a serious issue I would not be able to run it up to 6k under a load and have it dead silent and be able to powershift it either.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah the 3650 is a ***** when it's cold... You shouldn't have problems in second if your fluid is right. Mine virtually went away when I changed to mobil1.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I heard stories of how they can be when cold. If its just a little noisy for 60 seconds I really don't care for the price I paid and how well it shifts. My roomate's really didn't do it from what I remember but I dunno. I am going to be checking my tensioners and idlers tonight though as I have not ruled those out and it would be my luck that something would coincidentally take a **** when I did the trans.

Yes, from all the research I did before I got one (as far as the shifting) most of the issues came from overfilling and using the wrong fluid. Tons of failures from ppl using Mercon V or RP. I know of the fork/synchro assembly issues as well but the shop that built this one claims they were all done. Honestly, this trans needs to last 2-3 years and I probably won't put more than 5k miles on the car per year. At that point I will either sell the car and buy a Coyote or I'll get a built 26 spline t45 from Zak at t45source or a built 3650 from Stan at Pro Force Performance in Georgia. Or I'll get a 4R70w from Dan at Silverfox.

edit: I have also not ruled out the pilot bearing although that should change in pitch as RPM changes as well as get progressively worse so we'll see.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok, got it narrowed to a bad pilot bearing or the input shaft bearing in the brand new trans. It was making a light squeak tonight sitting the driveway so I was all over it. Sounds like it is coming from the flywheel area so it would make sense it is either of those. Sound goes away when the clutch is fully depressed but not just when I rest my foot on the pedal. This means the sound is directly related to the input shaft spinning. I have a hard time believing its an input shaft bearing on a brand new trans that has never ever been low on fluid.

Going to see if it gets worse. If not I may just give it a few months and put the car away for the winter and deal with it in the spring. Its only a 3 hour job on a lift to do the trans pull/install now that I don't have to fight with the ****ing crossmember.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Good luck with that one. My stock 3650(not the new crazy built one I bought that is sitting in my garage) makes all kinds of noises- especially in gear around 1200-1400rpm. Haha.

It's like an old man in the morning.. Creaky and makes a bunch of noises right when it starts warming up!

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well it was better this morning. It squeaked a little in the driveway, then got louder when I drove it for like 3 seconds and that was it. I had it idling in the parking lot when I got to work and had my head under the car, in the engine bay, even pulled the shifter bezel and stuck my ear down next to it and it was quiet. I'm really really hoping this is just a break in thing and the shop used a bearing that just needed a little bit of cycling/lubricating to get going.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

And it was worse after lunch lol. It is the trans, it still makes the noise with the cable disconnected and the fork/TOB pulled all the way back so the TOB isn't even turning. When I push in the clutch it stops. This means its a pissed off bearing in the trans but it all does go away once the trans warms up. I guess welcome to the world of a stock 3650?

I'm just going to beat the **** out of it this summer and have fun with it, or as much fun as one can with a bolt on 2V. I'll see how it is and maybe it'll quiet down as it breaks in. If not, I still have my T-45 core and Hanlon is 2 hours away so an $800 rebuild next spring for that one would not exactly kill me.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yay, new 3650 makes noise for the first minute of driving after sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
And it was worse after lunch lol. It is the trans, it still makes the noise with the cable disconnected and the fork/TOB pulled all the way back so the TOB isn't even turning. When I push in the clutch it stops. This means its a pissed off bearing in the trans but it all does go away once the trans warms up. I guess welcome to the world of a stock 3650?

I'm just going to beat the **** out of it this summer and have fun with it, or as much fun as one can with a bolt on 2V. I'll see how it is and maybe it'll quiet down as it breaks in. If not, I still have my T-45 core and Hanlon is 2 hours away so an $800 rebuild next spring for that one would not exactly kill me.

You can have a lot of fun in a 2v. Put the pedal to the metal and slide sideways.. What's more fun than that?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mine does the same

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well I guess I'm glad to hear this is a common thing for the 3650 but I'd like to think a fresh one wouldn't do it. Oh well, I still have my T-45 core, maybe I can learn something.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well I guess I'm glad to hear this is a common thing for the 3650 but I'd like to think a fresh one wouldn't do it. Oh well, I still have my T-45 core, maybe I can learn something.

Surely it's not that bad to drop another 800$... I'm betting you just get used to it and everything will be fine. It's just different then it used to be, so you're noticing it more.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Surely it's not that bad to drop another 800$... I'm betting you just get used to it and everything will be fine. It's just different then it used to be, so you're noticing it more.
No, it should not make the noise it makes upon initial takeoff. Sounds like a belt squeal then it goes away. I have had lots of T-5s a T-45 and even a goddamn TKO that didn't do this. I'll figure it out and just deal with it for now.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Welp, getting worse. I thought it was going to fly apart about 30 seconds into my drive on Friday. Did not drive it into work today on a beautiful day because I don't feel like it ****ting its guts all over the road and having to wait for tow with my kid in the car too. I've contacted the vendor who sold it to me, we'll see what they do because it is out of the 60 day warranty window but it has less than 500 miles on it. Regardless, it is down until I figure out what to do with it and I doubt I will get any real acceptable resolution from them but maybe they'll surprise me.

If I don't get a good resolution I am stuck with a few options. I can pull this trans that I know has good syncrhos and see if I can teach myself how to yank it apart and do a $250 bearing kit. Or I can take my T-45 core to Hanlon which is 2 hours away and have them rebuilt that one for $800-$1k and have a warranty and be able to do the swap back in about 3 hours on the lift vs trying to pull the 3650 out on my back in the garage.

Kind of pissed right now, almost started calling wreckers about 2004 automatic transmissions. I still might...

Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know why you didn't do the auto swap in the first place...

Id take the transmission out and take it to a reputable, local rebuilder and tell them to pop it open and have a look. Some shops even have transmission "dynos" to test them on.
Or, like you said, learn how to do it yourself. You have an assortment of transmissions to choose from. How hard could it be? There must be a YouTube video.

I hope that you're not tripping out over a little noise here Scotty. There have been at least four of us, in this thread, who have noisy 3650's...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

I should take a video of it. It sounds like a howling now for about 10-30 seconds straight until whatever is making the noise gets heated up enough or lubed up enough to stop. I also know what a bad input shaft bearing sounds like, and this sounds like it so I know what's wrong with it.

So no, this is not another Mustangman "omg there is a ticking in my motor!" thread haha.

edit: Yeah I sometimes wonder why I didn't just finish buying all the auto parts in 2013 and install it. Oh well that's life. The auto swap I'm looking at near $2k to do it. Hanlon can rebuild my old T-45 for $800 or I'll just DIY on this Tremec. A full seal/bearing kit is $250. I have the shop manual for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT