What supercharger to put in my 02 mustang gt. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What supercharger to put in my 02 mustang gt.

So I don't know what kind and how much to pay a legit person to buy and install a super charger for me. What should I buy what kind??

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
freethrow36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Figure $4-$5k if you are DIY once all is said and done. Probably tack on $1k for an install. Vortech S trim or Kenne Bell 2.1 are usually the two most common options.

You also should have the car's unibody stiffened with subframes and the suspension/wheels/tires and all the other "bolt ons" done before a supercharger.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
kenne bell look better under the hood in my opinion you should check out their web site.
Tangtang2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I got my 2.1 kenne bell couple months ago and I installed it by myself. It was pretty easy to install and now I could take out the supercharge in 2 hrs and put it back in 2 hrs. Main thing was getting the right dyno tune. I went to the rpm speed center in Stockton, CA and it was worst mistake i made because they burned my computer and did the tune and didn't tell me that my boost a pump wasn't working. I drove around the whole time with less fuel. Thank god I didn't ruin my engine, I got lucky. Finally I went to AED dyno shop because I knew something wasn't right. They did the tune correctly so my mustang went from 351hp to 401hp. And I love it and nothing is wrong with it anymore

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1403126587.739884.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	159524
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
All this talk about super chargers is making me itchy to get one. I've looked at a lot of threads on here and other forums about the tork tech kit one recently.
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Problem is, for the price of a supercharger and then modding the car to take the power and then the value of the car itself. Often when you add all that up its more economical to sell what you have and buy a Termi or a Coyote or a GTO and definitely a nice F body. Getting into a "built" modular you are almost always going to go over the cost of a car that is already fast as is which is fine for someone who doesn't want a car payment and to do it piecemeal. This hobby is not exactly one that is fiscally responsible lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Know a guy with a kenne bell 2v. Lost to my buddy's 06 gto with exhaust and tune. They ran 3 times and the mustang lost 3 times. Then on the final run the 2v motor went boom lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah a bolt on GTO with a tune is what like 400 something to the wheels? From what I've read the LS2 cam actually leaves a lot on the table as well but I'll defer to ppl who actually do the LSx thing on that.

This is not to say a Modular can't be built to be insane. There are plenty of them, but it isn't cheap.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

He was pissed none the less. If you plan on doing it plan on a built motor. Unless your happy with 330-350 at the tires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I just put 2.1 cuz I love my mustang it's not the fastest car out there but hey it's better then noting. If ur planning on racing then it's better to build a engine and then get supercharger or turbo. My car makes 401hp in the wheels which is good for 2v and m planning on building another engine for racing only so it all depend on you what u want to do with the car. For me I love it cuz it still faster then some cars on the street it doesn't bother me if I lose or win it's just for fun
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Building a mod motor is expensive. Trust me. If you plan on supercharging a stock GT then look ahead and at least have basic suspension upgrades and get ready to work on your fuel system.. Unless you're keeping a stock lower end and only want like 340-400rwhp. Even if that's the case the 42lb injectors everyone loves with supercharger kits are pretty much maxed out at around 380rwhp and anything more is over their duty cycle.

If I could say one thing... Overbuild the rest of your car before you put power in the motor. And also think about swapping to a 26 spline input shaft and 26 spline clutch while you're at it... Those 10 splines are notorious for blowing apart.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are going to injector the car for a blower get #60s. Most ppl stop at 400whp with the stock motor. And then promptly lose to a cam only bolt on F body. I mean, with the right setup 400whp is not slow by any means but you will not be dominating anything either.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Building a mod motor is expensive. Trust me. If you plan on supercharging a stock GT then look ahead and at least have basic suspension upgrades and get ready to work on your fuel system.. Unless you're keeping a stock lower end and only want like 340-400rwhp. Even if that's the case the 42lb injectors everyone loves with supercharger kits are pretty much maxed out at around 380rwhp and anything more is over their duty cycle.

If I could say one thing... Overbuild the rest of your car before you put power in the motor. And also think about swapping to a 26 spline input shaft and 26 spline clutch while you're at it... Those 10 splines are notorious for blowing apart.

He has a point( overbuild the rest of the car before you put power in the motor) thats where I made a mistake thinking I need the power in a motor but now I can't keep the car to the ground but m changing that by getting new lower/ upper control arms, shocks, subframe, etc... But the point is build the rest of the car first and u won't regret later on
Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenfan04 View Post
He has a point( overbuild the rest of the car before you put power in the motor) thats where I made a mistake thinking I need the power in a motor but now I can't keep the car to the ground but m changing that by getting new lower/ upper control arms, shocks, subframe, etc... But the point is build the rest of the car first and u won't regret later on
Leave the stock uppers alone. Or if you have the $$$ and want the best get a Max Motorsports torque arm/panhard bar setup. Your launches will=teh sex.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Leave the stock uppers alone. Or if you have the $$$ and want the best get a Max Motorsports torque arm/panhard bar setup. Your launches will=teh sex.

+111111

Everything about this post is perfect.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
YES on the Torque Arm.... I can attest to that, I have it on my car and love it!!!!! She just squats and goes even with ****ty Sumitomos.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I swear sometimes I'm on a ls1 forum and not a mustang forum. There's so much **** talk on mustangs and praise for ls1/2's that I get confused thinking I signed up for the wrong forum.

I don't get why people don't just buy a damn ls1 and go to a ls1 forum to put their own balls on a pedestal. Jesus

/rant

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You can't really talk about making a mod motor fast without talking about how an LS can be as fast for cheaper.

It's just how it is. Obviously I have mad love for mod motors because look at my build thread so far. Haha. But I also have mad respect for the LS motors.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
You can't really talk about making a mod motor fast without talking about how an LS can be as fast for cheaper.

It's just how it is. Obviously I have mad love for mod motors because look at my build thread so far. Haha. But I also have mad respect for the LS motors.

I understand that. But I've seen more **** talk on mustangs, on a mustang forum, then I have anywhere else lol. An I've never seen more praise for the ls1/2... We all get they are good motors. I think if you've been on the forums 5 minutes you will see a post that has praise for the ls1. We get it. This is suppose to be a place for praise and tech help for mustangs.. Not to kiss ls1/2's ***.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I understand that. But I've seen more **** talk on mustangs, on a mustang forum, then I have anywhere else lol. An I've never seen more praise for the ls1/2... We all get they are good motors. I think if you've been on the forums 5 minutes you will see a post that has praise for the ls1. We get it. This is suppose to be a place for praise and tech help for mustangs.. Not to kiss ls1/2's ***.
Turn the main down a tad skidrow. The LS1 is a great basis for comparison and a good enough reason to give someone to think twice about building up a modular and run some numbers on how much it is actually going to cost vs considering another platform or a Terminator or a Coyote.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Turn the main down a tad skidrow. The LS1 is a great basis for comparison and a good enough reason to give someone to think twice about building up a modular and run some numbers on how much it is actually going to cost vs considering another platform or a Terminator or a Coyote.

I am typically pretty calm, but it eventually gets annoying. I mean, we all own mustangs for a reason, right? If the fbody is god, then why doesn't everyone on here have one? Lol it's not like they are expensive. I get they can stomp a mustang racing. It seems to be said in every other thread. I just wish people would quit dogging our cars, and enjoy being with fellow mustang lovers. If people wanna bash them then those people should go to a ls1 forum. They will be happier because they'll be surrounded by people like themselves.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT