fuel smell when i turn ac on - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
fuel smell when i turn ac on

I have a 98 gt. Today got in my car and when i turned ac on i smell fuel coming threw vents any suggestions
Clean98 Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If it is indeed fuel that you are smelling, coming from the vents, I suggest that you figure out what is going on IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
Id check under the hood, near the back of the engine, where the fuel lines are located, for any leaks.
There are not any fuel lines that are inside of the car or in the A/C or ventilation system. The engine coolant DOES run through the HVAC box, though, and if the heater core begins to leak there can be a very strong coolant odor coming from the vents.
So that's another possibility.
If you think that you smell gasoline, get the car checked out before you drive it anymore.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply. I checked all the lines and have no gas leaks. I must of smelled freon from it. My heater core is not leaking so not sure why i smelled that ive driving the car around today to do some errands and it didnt have a smell coming out of it. But i did notice next to the ac lines that there seemed to be little white specs of something on it. Any idea and any idea why it dont smell anymore??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Good!
The white specks are normal.
I don't know what you were smelling but I get a very infrequent, random, exhaust odor inside of my car that I can't explain. You may have been experiencing something similar and it coincidentally occurred as you were turning on the A/C.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Yeah it's never happened to me before so It kind of freaked me out. It hasn't happened since that day I posted it I live in Florida as well so it gets really hot so that's the only thing I could think of I was driving for a long period of time with the AC cranking. Now that you mention exhaust fumes it's funny you say that because when I got in the car I smelt it too I never really thought of that but that's a good thing its most likely was. Thank you for quick response have a good one
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you happened to be driving by a gas station or a car running pig rich right when you turned your AC on it might have just been a coincidence. Better safe than sorry tho, good you checked.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
+1 for random smells. I sometimes get a hint of ATF when driving. Airways freaks me it as I think fluid is lacking from the shifter. I have checked but nothing

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT