HID Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

HID Help

I plan on getting HIDs on my 04 GT. My only question is will I need an HID harness? I feel like my fog lights won't be able to supply the initial surge needed

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

When I got my, It came with everything.
I think every HID comes with everything u need
Old 06-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenfan04 View Post
When I got my, It came with everything.
I think every HID comes with everything u need

where did you buy yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

From the shop in center valley CA, I got mine for $25 it's 6000
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

that's really cheap!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, u could find good deals on eBay
Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

that's really cheap!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its cheap because its low quality. The cheapest I have seen for a GOOD kit is $85 and that was on sale. Also, if you are putting HIDs in your stock housings I hope a cop pulls you over and issues you a fix it ticket and a summons. I am really REALLY sick and tired of being blinded by people coming the other way with HIDs in reflector housings as you will see from my other recent posts on the subject.

I suggest anyone thinking of doing HIDs read this. I especially agree with the last line of the original post in the thread.

I will end this post with the statement that there are very good halogens out there these days that will actually allow you to see better than with a HID in a factory housing scattering light all over the place. Philips Xtreme or Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstars are the two best ones out there currently unless you get a projector that uses a 9005/9006 dual bulb setup. If that is the case you can run Philips HIR bulbs which are Halogens that are 75% of an OEM HID as far as brightness goes and what I run in my hi-beams. They are actually brighter than the chinese HIDs I see all over the place.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
I got mine for $30 Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403494276253.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	159873 it's a 35w hi/low 6K kit
Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's not low quality I had them about year now and my bf has some once over two years and had no problem. There is no problem for on coming traffic mine doesn't blind on coming traffic at all. It depend how u install them
Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its cheap because its low quality. The cheapest I have seen for a GOOD kit is $85 and that was on sale. Also, if you are putting HIDs in your stock housings I hope a cop pulls you over and issues you a fix it ticket and a summons. I am really REALLY sick and tired of being blinded by people coming the other way with HIDs in reflector housings as you will see from my other recent posts on the subject.

I suggest anyone thinking of doing HIDs read this. I especially agree with the last line of the original post in the thread.

I will end this post with the statement that there are very good halogens out there these days that will actually allow you to see better than with a HID in a factory housing scattering light all over the place. Philips Xtreme or Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstars are the two best ones out there currently unless you get a projector that uses a 9005/9006 dual bulb setup. If that is the case you can run Philips HIR bulbs which are Halogens that are 75% of an OEM HID as far as brightness goes and what I run in my hi-beams. They are actually brighter than the chinese HIDs I see all over the place.

what's a good foglight bulb that is bright white ?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
I got mine for $30 Attachment 159873 it's a 35w hi/low 6K kit
Its pictures like this that make me very angry. This is basically what I saw the time some jerk was coming around the corner at night over the winter and completely blinded me when I was driving in the rain with my kid in the back. Thanks, thanks alot. That looks like garbage and you have 0 cutoff or control of where that light goes.

Quote:
It's not low quality I had them about year now and my bf has some once over two years and had no problem. There is no problem for on coming traffic mine doesn't blind on coming traffic at all. It depend how u install them
No it doesn't you CANNOT properly install HIDs in a stock housing, period. Whether you think you do or do not blind traffic is irrelevant. You do, and people like me thank you wholeheartedly when we see stars or have to slow down and pull onto the shoulder because someone had to look all cool with bright blue lights spraying everywhere.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.petr0 View Post
what's a good foglight bulb that is bright white ?
I already listed two bulb types in that post that you can look into. Also, beware "bright white" halogens as most use a blue film on the bulb to achieve that white light. This reduces overall lumen output and I will also mention the fact that, for a foglight, you want a YELLOW light as that is the light that cuts through mist/fog the best. Anything else is just for show and not functionality. I run Nokya Hyper Yellow halogens in my Envoy foglights and they are plenty bright with a nice yellow light.

And if you do a little research, you will find that many luxury cars will come with OEM 4300-4700k HIDs and yellow halogens in the fogs because the manufacturers are aware of the fact that yellow is the optimal color for fogs.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The last post (lucky number #13) says it all. HID's in a non projection headlight assembly is not only going to reduce the amount of light, but make it unsafe to those who get blinded by this oncoming light.

I sure wish the police had more time to ticket those that do this.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I already listed two bulb types in that post that you can look into. Also, beware "bright white" halogens as most use a blue film on the bulb to achieve that white light. This reduces overall lumen output and I will also mention the fact that, for a foglight, you want a YELLOW light as that is the light that cuts through mist/fog the best. Anything else is just for show and not functionality. I run Nokya Hyper Yellow halogens in my Envoy foglights and they are plenty bright with a nice yellow light.

And if you do a little research, you will find that many luxury cars will come with OEM 4300-4700k HIDs and yellow halogens in the fogs because the manufacturers are aware of the fact that yellow is the optimal color for fogs.

I'm looking for more of a "show" type of foglight. I would prefer them to match my headlights if at all possible

04 GT
40th Anniversary
CAI
Flowmaster American Thunder
3.73 Gear
Alternative Performance 93 Race
Old 06-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The last post (lucky number #13) says it all. HID's in a none projection headlight assembly is not only going to reduce the amount of light, but make it unsafe to those who get blinded by this oncoming light.

I sure wish the police had more time to ticket those that do this.

They are too busy chatting it up and eating donuts at their local convenience store.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

I honestly don't see the big ****en deal with hids and going blind. Here in Phoenix everyone and their mother has hids. I have yet to fall off a cliff cause of incoming traffic. I have driven down a mountain with a narrow road with yes incoming traffic that had hids and I'm still here. Plus I got them to look cool since a major city has lights everywher
Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I honestly don't see the big ****en deal with hids and going blind. Here in Phoenix everyone and their mother has hids. I have yet to fall off a cliff cause of incoming traffic. I have driven down a mountain with a narrow road with yes incoming traffic that had hids and I'm still here. Plus I got them to look cool since a major city has lights everywher
The big deal is that while you may be able to handle those lights I'm your eyes, others cannot. And just because everyone and their mother drives their car off a bridge, does that mean that we should too? No. But oh, at least you look cool with cheap blue lights, right?
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Some people have a higher light sensitivity. Just because you don't doesn't mean ppl who have had eye surgery or are just pre-disposed to being more sensitive should have to deal with someone trying to run the brightest *** $30 HID kit they can. Have fun in a lowered car when a F-250 with a 5K kit in reflectors comes flying around the corner and you aren't expecting it and that is just one example. Happened to me, I saw after images which I really don't need because someone is being a ricer. That was the worst experience I've had with ppl running HID kits, I had to pull over and my kid was in the car with me.

So thanks to all of you who just HAVE to run bright blue/pink/hyper white HIDs in reflectors. I routinely might as well be getting hi-beams in my face by oncoming traffic because someone is running them in reflectors. As always, YMMV but it is a big issue and one that needs to be addressed IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
The big deal is that while you may be able to handle those lights I'm your eyes, others cannot. And just because everyone and their mother drives their car off a bridge, does that mean that we should too? No. But oh, at least you look cool with cheap blue lights, right?
Exactly. Either put your HIDs in projectors that actually provide a clean cutoff (even if its not optimal at least you can control it) or do a HID retrofit.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

It's a never ending battle. I won't go back to ugly yellow light so I'll stick with my cheap kit that's more white than blue and like I said everyone has hids here so I have had a lifted trucks with hids in headlights and fog lights
Old 06-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
It's a never ending battle. I won't go back to ugly yellow light so I'll stick with my cheap kit that's more white than blue and like I said everyone has hids here so I have had a lifted trucks with hids in headlights and fog lights
I'm glad you think its ok to blind oncoming traffic especially with lifted trucks. There are Halogens out there that are not yellow btw. Also, your eyes work better in yellow light than they do in white/blue/other colors which is why OEM kits are at the lower range of 4K. Manufacturers know this.

And not everyone has HIDs.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Regular

I'll stick with my cheap kit than spending a lot for some retrofit kit or projectors from eBay
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Facepalm...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Facepalm...
I'll blind you next
Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

HID Help

Quote:
I'll blind you next

I personally don't care that much.. I will just turn my brights on so I can see the road. I haven't had eye surgery either though... So for your comment I say that you are a d0uche sir. Que tenga un buien dia.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
HID Help

Quote:
I'll blind you next

Must be nice to put others in danger. Like Scotty already listed the facts but here they are again:

1. HIDs in stock housings look bad, all it is, is a blue blur.
2. You have worse visibility than stock
3. You put every other person on the road in danger.

To you it may not seem bad, but like Scotty I have been in situations where I almost crashed the car because someone with bad HIDs (like yours) blinded me from oncoming traffic. It was coming around a bend uphill with no other lights around, and someone came aiming downhill blasting their lights everywhere. I couldn't see anything and almost went over the side.

Now if you still think it is ok to put people's lives in danger for "looks" then I beg you to do more research into all of it.

I once also thought about getting those HIDs because I thought they looked cool also. But it's better to do it right the first time and look good, while staying safe than cheaping out.

Look up The HID Guy. Your opinion will be changed.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
****** projectors
I guarantee I'm not the only one who finds that comment offensive and unneeded. Your post has been reported.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Offensive word(s) removed.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Didn't mean to offend any one sorry about that.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Must be nice to put others in danger. Like Scotty already listed the facts but here they are again:

1. HIDs in stock housings look bad, all it is, is a blue blur.
2. You have worse visibility than stock
3. You put every other person on the road in danger.

To you it may not seem bad, but like Scotty I have been in situations where I almost crashed the car because someone with bad HIDs (like yours) blinded me from oncoming traffic. It was coming around a bend uphill with no other lights around, and someone came aiming downhill blasting their lights everywhere. I couldn't see anything and almost went over the side.

Now if you still think it is ok to put people's lives in danger for "looks" then I beg you to do more research into all of it.

I once also thought about getting those HIDs because I thought they looked cool also. But it's better to do it right the first time and look good, while staying safe than cheaping out.

Look up The HID Guy. Your opinion will be changed.
but I didn't get them to see better. why don't you go put your catalytic converter back I'm having trouble breathing
Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
but I didn't get them to see better. why don't you go put your catalytic converter back I'm having trouble breathing

... I feel like you copied someone's post...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 06-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
HID Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
... I feel like you copied someone's post...

+1

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I have good aftermarket cats on my car. If you didn't get them to see better than why did you get them?

I really don't understand why ppl get so defensive when someone points out their useless mod (that they even claim they did not get for functionality) is dangerous and said person has personal experience with being put in danger by said item.

I await (not eagerly mind you) when there is eventually a court case where someone died because they could not see where they were going because someone thought they had to be cool and put bright blue lights in the car. Almost happened to me, and my child. Think about what you are doing and that you are not the only person in the world.

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT