Power shifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

Power shifting

Does manual shifting an automatic harm anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How do you power shift in a auto???

Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm not sure i've ever heard of powershifting an auto? Do you mean manually shifting them through the gears or something?

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your computer can shift just as good as you or better... Don't f*** up your tranny prematurely

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
K_B
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was wondering cause I don't wanna **** that up

K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Bad idea, the way the stock shifter is setup it is VERY easy to slide through reverse into neutral if you are trying to fast shift. Have fun when that happens...

If you want to manually shift, get a manual valve body and then do all your shifting yourself. If not, get a good tune to firm up the shift points and do the j-mod. You'll smile ear to ear.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I could be wrong or worse way to shift but I been racing with auto about two months now I been power-shifting 1st and 2nd and it's lunch way better then just putting in D and lunch so far everything is good and m running 391hp to the wheels with stock transmission yes bad idea on stock but yeah so far it's good

Don't Judge Me
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleenfan04 View Post
I could be wrong or worse way to shift but I been racing with auto about two months now I been power-shifting 1st and 2nd and it's lunch way better then just putting in D and lunch so far everything is good and m running 391hp to the wheels with stock transmission yes bad idea on stock but yeah so far it's good

Don't Judge Me
With a good tune and a j-mod your trans will be shifting way better than trying to do a manual shift job with the sloppy stock shifter. And more precisely and your 1/4 mile consistency will dramatically improve.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I went to couple transmission shops to get j-mod the only I got was what is j-mod? Lol they were trying to sell me shift kit cuz they didn't know what is j-mod. I went to every shop where I live at and no one I mean no knows what is j-mod?

Don't Judge Me
Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Then do a shift kit if you can't do the j-mod yourself.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I heard j-mod is better tho

Don't Judge Me
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I heard j-mod is better tho

Don't Judge Me
Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

How do you power shift an automatic first of all? LOL

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

They're talking about just pushing the button and smacking the shifter from 1-2 at 6k or whatever. Watch a video of someone manually shifting an automatic accidentally going into reverse on the 2-3 shift at high speed... not pretty... the stock shifter does not have a lockout against this and it is very risky. This is a reason that some ppl give for the popularity of a reverse manual valve body vs a forward manual valve body if you have a legit manual valve body. You are always shifting "away from danger". What those ppl don't mention is that if you have a catastrophic failure while down in 3rd you are going to have a fun time getting back to neutral whereas in a traditional forward pattern you can go from 3 right to neutral.

Anyway, off topic. The fact is that you should really just let the computer do the shifting if you don't have a built trans or at least one with a manual valve body. A good budget solution is a silverfox manual valve body in a stock 4R75w, a bigass cooler, a Freakshow stall converter and your choice of ratchet shifter. I mean its going to be in the $1800-2k range doing it yourself but that's not actually all that much money when you are talking about an auto that can take a good amount of power. Plates also exist for 01-04 consoles that move the auto shifters back to where the cupholders are and put a delete plate or gauge plate in the stock shifter location. Can't do that with a stick.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Just drop in a B&M hammer shifter. It has the reverse lockout and will let you shift your heart out.
Matched up with a j-mod and a stall and you'll never want to drive a stock automatic in anything again.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Just drop in a B&M hammer shifter. It has the reverse lockout and will let you shift your heart out.
Matched up with a j-mod and a stall and you'll never want to drive a stock automatic in anything again.
Eff that, do this

Yes that is an auto, no you can't do it with a manual before anyone asks or I would have a loooooong time ago. And yes you can buy that plate still, its $160 or something for a basic delete plate and shifter plate. It cost more depending on if you want switch holes or 2 gauges in the delete plate etc...

Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

^^^WTF is all that sh*t!?

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

That would be a B&M Pro stick relocated to where all shifters should have been in these cars in the first place. Lots of ppl with manual valve bodies run this setup.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm...interesting. This may have to be done to the 6.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Eff that, do this

Yes that is an auto, no you can't do it with a manual before anyone asks or I would have a loooooong time ago. And yes you can buy that plate still, its $160 or something for a basic delete plate and shifter plate. It cost more depending on if you want switch holes or 2 gauges in the delete plate etc...

Love it that's all I could say love it

Don't Judge Me
Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

If this 5 speed I put in can't be fixed easy I am going to park the car till next spring and finally auto swap it and do this same setup. I've got a clean 01-04 console on the shelf in the garage because this plate setup only works for the 01-04 console. Also you generally have to rig up some sort of indication system if you want a visual aid for what gear you are in or if OD or lockup is engaged or not. Or you can just get a feel for it.

That would be the only reason to do the B&M Hammer honestly, that and to retain cupholders if you were so inclined.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I think that shifter would be too far back for a manual. I could see moving it back a couple of inches, not eight.
And where does a person place the various beverages that are required for driving?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went to couple transmission shops to get j-mod the only I got was what is j-mod? Lol they were trying to sell me shift kit cuz they didn't know what is j-mod. I went to every shop where I live at and no one I mean no knows what is j-mod?

Don't Judge Me
I think there are some videos on the doing the J-mod.
Aren't there Scotty?

If you can install a blower on your car, I'll bet you can figure out how to do the J-mod Saleen...
Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I never work on a transmission at all even some of the class I took at school I never work on transmission. To install the blower it was easy cuz it came with pic what u have to do which make life so damn easy lol plus
To do j-mod I think u have to take out the transmission which I have on tools for. I think I probably go with shift kit for now

Don't Judge Me
Old 06-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
I never work on a transmission at all even some of the class I took at school I never work on transmission. To install the blower it was easy cuz it came with pic what u have to do which make life so damn easy lol plus
To do j-mod I think u have to take out the transmission which I have on tools for. I think I probably go with shift kit for now

Don't Judge Me
You just have to take the valve body out of the transmission. It's literally just drain the oil, remove the trans oil pan and unbolt the valve body.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm aboot to learn to do transmission work. If this input shaft is indeed bad from this rebuilder I don't trust their asses to fix it right and pay $200 to ship it up to them. I'll pay $250 for a bearing/seal kit and crack it open myself and do it all. Pretty much the last thing I need to learn to do myself besides welding and me not learning to weld is just me being lazy.

As for the j-mod

Yes if you can do a blower install you can do the j-mod.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I think that shifter would be too far back for a manual. I could see moving it back a couple of inches, not eight.
And where does a person place the various beverages that are required for driving?
Like this?

Beverage? Get something with a screw on cap and toss it on the passenger's seat. Or you could put a cupholder in where the delete plate goes I suppose. Honestly if you are worried about a cupholder you probably should not be doing a setup like that and just let the computer shift the car.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That would be pretty good!
I don't really have any complaints about shifter placement though.

But neither my 44oz Arnold Palmers OR morning coffee come with screw caps...
Old 06-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
That would be pretty good!
I don't really have any complaints about shifter placement though.

But neither my 44oz Arnold Palmers OR morning coffee come with screw caps...
Lol which is exactly why I have an 01 console waiting to go in. I am going to see if I can get this goddamn 3650 to quiet down and stop squealing at least. If it makes some clunking noises till it warms up that is fine but its getting embarrassing to be screaming along for a good few minutes now until it quiets down. The pilot is definitely making noise now as there is a squeak when I push in the clutch and it goes away when its let back out so 2 weekends from now its getting dropped back out for a new pilot (again) OEM TOB and I'll triple check the clutch alignment again.

If not... probably going to yank it and pop it open and learn to take it apart myself. Or just go auto. The B&M Hammer actually winds up in an OK spot to slap it forward.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ohhh I was thinking u have to take out the transmission but never mind. I think something like that I wouldn't miss with it cuz my whole car depend on transmission lol but then yes I want to lol is any1 here has j-mod? Did they do did by themself? How long did it take?

Don't Judge Me
Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

It takes as long as it does in the vid plus like 10 minutes to drill all the holes. That guy was DIY. It actually improves the life of the transmission as well. However you have a 4R75w which has a little better valve body and there is debate if you even need to do the drilling or just do the removals and call it good.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I have 03 gt but I love 04 saleen that where I got my username lol 03 gt has 4R70w I think

Don't Judge Me
Old 07-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Does manual shifting an automatic harm anything?

Get a Sct xf3 flash tuner on American muscle that will make it feel like you have a 5spd

2003 full Bolt on GT
Basshunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT