OLD GAS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
OLD GAS?

I have the two mustangs, the one in question is a 2002 and has been sitting for about 4 months. Last I can remember it was near out of fuel. Is this okay to start or should I add some Lucas fuel stabilizer in? I was thinking of throwing in 10 dollars in premium to mix with the old gas and then just let it run for about a half hour to burn all the old gas out. What should I be doing? or am I over thinking it.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Fill up a 5 gallon gas can with fresh gas and dump it in there, should be fine after that honestly. In the future I would make sure you put some stabil in it if you are going to let it sit that long unless you didn't plan on it. I leave about 1/4 tank in my car when it goes away for the winter and I put the stabil in it a few days prior so it can get all good and mixed up and also into the lines/injectors vs just in the tank.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure but change fuel filter

Don't Judge Me
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's best to store your car with a completely topped off fuel tank. You want as little air as possible so that there is nowhere for condensation to form.
Use fuel stabilizer and just deal with the old gas...
And, like Saleen said, change the filter once you've run that tank of gas empty.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

+1 to a full tank for storage ...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Car wasn't in storage. I did not plan to just let it sit, have a truck and two cars and one was just deprived from my attention for a few months and wasn't sure if I should run it as is or poor fresh fuel in. How long does it take for gas to go bad? Most stuff I read online says it could be months old before even getting to the gas station you buy it from
Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You are forgiven then...

I don't know about the gas. Ive heard so many different numbers over the years, 3 months, 6 months, a year, and everything in between.
Years ago, I had an old Honda mini trail that started on the third kick with what I know was 10+ year old gasoline from when it was put in storage. So it will, at least, start an engine at that age.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I put a big container of premium fuel in and ran it, took twice to keep it going with a little pedal action. Car feels like complete **** to drive lmao, somethings squeeking and steering feels rough. Probably because it sat so long, after a good hour drive or so should be okay
Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You are forgiven then...

I don't know about the gas. Ive heard so many different numbers over the years, 3 months, 6 months, a year, and everything in between.
Years ago, I had an old Honda mini trail that started on the third kick with what I know was 10+ year old gasoline from when it was put in storage. So it will, at least, start an engine at that age.
I've got that beat. In the mid 90s, my grandmother finally let my Father take his deceased brother's 1979 Trans Am special edition out of storage that she had put it in in 1979. He got it in 1979 and died that year. Car had 3,000 something miles on it, original tires and nearly a full tank of circa 1979 fuel. No **** that thing fired right up with a new battery and the old gas. Probably not the best idea in the world but my father was like "lets just see if it runs" and then "ok... well lets just run this tank out of it" and that was that. This was 1996 I believe.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT