Shocks info - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Shocks info

So I had my mustang looked over last night and I am going to need new rear shocks. What kind of shocks should I get. Would like I get something better than oem replacement but not too expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rollo1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Bilsteins are top notch and come with a lifetime warranty. Not super cheap but you get what you pay for. My car came with Tokico Illuminas on it from the previous owner and when they go I'll be replacing with Bilsteins. However, these Tokicos have been a pretty good shock/strut setup honestly.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
AM has a sale on the eibach shocks and struts package deal for $469
Eibach Pro-Damper Mustang Shock & Struts ( V6, 79-04 V8 excl. IRS cobra) 3514.84 (79-04 V8; 94-04 V6; Excludes 99-04 Cobra) - Free Shipping
That + the forum discount and free shipping. Cant go wrong and since your only looking for a " better than oem replacement but not too expensive " this should be suitable. Yes, your only asking about rear shocks but its probably best to change the struts at the same time.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Koni STR.T shocks are good and Also the tokico HP shocks aren't bad either. If your not going lower than either of these would be a better than OEM shock.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Their very reasonably priced as well

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Right now I'm really short on money so I was just going to try and just get the shocks for now and work on the rest later. I still need to reweild a new radiator bracket to the frame and already have a guy to do it for 150.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
You can always get kybs, they make good motor cross suspension. I will be using them on my stang.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I put kyb on all 4 corners on my 2000 gt they seem a little better than stock

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
I put kyb on all 4 corners on my 2000 gt they seem a little better than stock

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

You get what you pay for, they are cheaper and will not make a night and day difference. If you want a good price and quality then i feel these are the way to go. Don't get me wrong they are an improvement over stock but if he is just doing his rear shocks and that's it he won't really see a big difference.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Shocks info

Either Bilstein HDs or KONI yellows. I would run either of them.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I saw some on American muscle for like 79 each. So after I fix a sensor and radiator bracket I will prob get those

Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

KYB is garbage. Agree with Soccer, Koni or Bilstein. You do get what you pay for. As I said the only reason mine aren't is because the PO did them and they have not blown yet. If/when they go out or I upgrade it will be with Bilsteins probably.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well if Kyb is garbage then why does am sell them? I'm not trying to start a fight or anything like that, I was just wandering if a company wants our business than they would make sure they sold products that were reliable. The reason I got KYB is my factory shocks were bad and the car had 190000 miles on it. I couldn't afford the better shocks so after reading the reviews and stuff about Kyb shock on am I bought them. Obviously they were a great improvement over the old ones and I didn't expect anything but a stock feel. Now I'm wandering if I put parts on my car that will go bad soon.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Well if Kyb is garbage then why does am sell them? I'm not trying to start a fight or anything like that, I was just wandering if a company wants our business than they would make sure they sold products that were reliable. The reason I got KYB is my factory shocks were bad and the car had 190000 miles on it. I couldn't afford the better shocks so after reading the reviews and stuff about Kyb shock on am I bought them. Obviously they were a great improvement over the old ones and I didn't expect anything but a stock feel. Now I'm wandering if I put parts on my car that will go bad soon.

They will sell because they are cheap. This is like asking why there is a "budget" option for anything. Also I could point you to a number of garbage products on the AM site, the Dorman intake and the SR CC plates are just a few off the top of my head.

With that said, AM is a great vendor as far as selection and you'll get your parts effing fast when you order them but you still have to do research and watch what you buy. Just because something is on AM doesn't mean it's the best thing ever. Don't even get me started on some of their pre-packaged wheel/tire combos that are very... not optimal.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
For most applications, people will be fine running whatever budget shocks they can find on AM or ebay for that matter. For serious performance applications, like road courses, autocross, and the like, I have a short list of manufacturers that do consistently good work and I wouldn't deviate from that. The short list would be Koni, Bilstein, or if you a grip of money to toss at the problem, Penske.

Koni's are nice in that they have some adjustability so when you put them on a shock dyno you can match them up before you install them. The downside is that they are not user serviceable so you will have to send them in. Bilsteins are user serviceable and you can match the valving to your application fairly easily.

If you are looking to use any shocks in a performance application, and want to look outside of this list, I suggest you get a shock dyno output and look and the shock to shock differences for compression and rebound particularly in the 3in/second and 10in/second ranges the results will surprise you.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

^^ +1 very well said
Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I just use my car as a dd. as long as the Kyb I got last a while I'm happy with the ride. Thanks for the info guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT