Tubro or supercharged - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
Tubro or supercharged

What should I go with and do I have to upgrade my engine before I put any in

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kennesaw
Region: Georgia
Posts: 106
well the turbo is gonna kick in after a certain rpm (turbo lag).. the supercharger is gonna always be there from low rpms to high rpms.. so from acceleration the supercharger is better but as the rpms start the rise the turbo charger has the advantage i believe.. but beef up the suspension so you can put the power to the wheels and build up the bottom end if u plan to run a high amount of boost


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
well the turbo is gonna kick in after a certain rpm (turbo lag).. the supercharger is gonna always be there from low rpms to high rpms.. so from acceleration the supercharger is better but as the rpms start the rise the turbo charger has the advantage i believe.. but beef up the suspension so you can put the power to the wheels and build up the bottom end if u plan to run a high amount of boost


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Right about the suspension, wrong about the blowers. Superchargers depend on what type you pick. A positive displacement blower will bring on the power early but won't pull as hard up top as a centrifugal or a turbo will. A centrifugal supercharger is basically a belt driven turbo and will come on in the higher RPMs and keep on pulling. Superchargers take power to make power though, you have to deal with belt slip but they are simple. A properly selected turbo setup, on the other hand, will come into boost pretty early, not run out of steam up top and uses very little power to make its power seeing as it is just wasted exhaust gas. Also no belt slip. They are a more complicated install though but with so many kits out nowadays its not nearly as bad as it once was.

IMHO, PD blower for a manual street car, centrifugal blower for a stick shift weekend warrior or 1/4 car and a turbo setup for any automatic. Autos are turbos are like peas and carrots.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kennesaw
Region: Georgia
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Right about the suspension, wrong about the blowers. Superchargers depend on what type you pick. A positive displacement blower will bring on the power early but won't pull as hard up top as a centrifugal or a turbo will. A centrifugal supercharger is basically a belt driven turbo and will come on in the higher RPMs and keep on pulling. Superchargers take power to make power though, you have to deal with belt slip but they are simple. A properly selected turbo setup, on the other hand, will come into boost pretty early, not run out of steam up top and uses very little power to make its power seeing as it is just wasted exhaust gas. Also no belt slip. They are a more complicated install though but with so many kits out nowadays its not nearly as bad as it once was.



IMHO, PD blower for a manual street car, centrifugal blower for a stick shift weekend warrior or 1/4 car and a turbo setup for any automatic. Autos are turbos are like peas and carrots.

do me a favor scotty, just for me, change your name to scottydoesknow


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
Can I run a stock engine or will it harm it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
4.6 internals are good to around 400whp, after that is when you want to look into a forged rotating assembly.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
OK well I got a CAI and a thorttle body and and exchuast and a tune what would I be around would u say

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank64 View Post
OK well I got a CAI and a thorttle body and and exchuast and a tune what would I be around would u say

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
240whp if you're lucky
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
So a supercharger wouldn't hurt

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,599
If you have a good tune it won't hurt your engine. However, if you are still on the stock suspension you'll never see the benefits of the added power because you'll be unable to effectively put the power to the ground. At least a basic lowering/control arms and wheel/tire setup is required to utilize even bolt on power.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
I got a bama tune I'm on the proformance one at all times

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,599
You'll need a new tune if you get a supercharger. Bama doesn't tune for superchargers.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
O ok

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,599
Yeah you also can't just run any old tune on a supercharger. You need to take it to a tuner and have the A/F dialed in and get it really spot on or you'll blow something up. Its not really all that hard, I mean you install the supercharger and then trailer/flatbed the car to the tuner who will load a basic tune and then dial it in.

If you don't buy the full kit you'll also need to upgrade the fuel system.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ryank64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 85
O OK thanks a lot man your been a big help

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ryank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin tubro questions? RedSleeper General Mustang Discussion 16 07-16-2013 10:35 PM
Did ford make a 1988 mustang tubro model Maichail General Mustang Discussion 5 03-27-2010 08:18 PM
94-98 V6's that want to get supercharged, and 99+'s later tire Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 07-27-2004 08:04 PM
Going supercharged? will it happen? Looking Good! MaestroSC Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 21 12-13-2003 11:11 AM
supercharged v6? stangracer Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 16 11-03-2003 09:45 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:45 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.