How to: Simply Reinforce and Repair Door Panel Tabs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
How to: Simply Reinforce and Repair Door Panel Tabs

Simple, Cheap and Effective Repair and Reinforcement of Door Panel Tabs

So when I first purchased my car over 4 years ago, the door panels were very loose because many of the tabs that hold them on broke off. I came up with an extremely simple and effective way to repair and reinforce them.

This isn't going to be much of a write-up because of how simple it is.

What you need:
-JB Weld SteelStik Epoxy Putty
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-steelstik/
(Two sticks should be enough for every tab on each door panel)

If you look at the tabs on the inside of your door panel, you will notice they have plastic ribs. This is very convenient because it makes reinforcing them easy.

All you have to do it cut off some of the putty and knead it together until it is all the same color. Take small bits and place it in between these ribs on the tabs. If you need to. You can get something narrow to press the putty in further. The more you fill the ribs, the sturdier it will be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404448796.919080.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	784.1 KB
ID:	160761

You can also use this method if the door tab broke off, and you have the broken off tab.

First locate where the tab broke off. Every tab is a slightly different width or length so just find the one that matches up with your broken off tab. Test fit the tab on the broken off portion to make sure it fits.

Do the exact same thing as above, except it is going to be a bit trickier because you have to hold the broken off tab in place while applying the putty. Once you have the putty In between the ribs of the tab, just push the tab against the panel so you know it is properly in place, and hold it. After a few minutes it will set and you can leave it to cure.

I used a bit more putty on the broken tab to ensure it is sturdy. Once it has cured, it is actually stronger than a non reinforced tab. If you are reattaching a broken off tab, make sure you wait an hour before reinstalling your door panel. The epoxy needs time to cure.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404449030.003554.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	160762

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404449147.506549.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	785.7 KB
ID:	160763

I know this seems like a really cheesy way to fix the door panel tabs, but it works extremely well. I have had all my broken tabs attached like this for 4 years with none of them breaking off again.

I hope this helps people repair their door panels, and I'd recommend everyone do this to reinforce their current door panels.

You can easily prevent your tabs from breaking by doing this.

Thanks,
-DutchManDann

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Nice! I remember when I broke one of my tabs removing the shifter bezel(automatic) and it wouldnt stop rattling.

For future reference, is the putty available at Autozone/Oriellys? Or is special order off the internet?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It seems to be widely available, at least in my area. I've found it at pretty much any hardware store and usually at auto stores as well. Even if you're not using it for fixing your door panels, epoxy has like a million applications lol

Here's the exact product I used off the manufacturer's website:
SteelStik | Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT