Top Tranny bolt help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Top Tranny bolt help

03 Gt dropping the tranny to change the clutch but we got stuck on the top driver side bell housing bolt. It was all fun and games until I realized the socket will no longer fit onto the bolt head because it is damaged. I don't know what to do. I really don't have the time to pull the motor. The more I try the more I want to slap a 4 sale sign on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mokus03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Best bet is some type of turbo/EZ-Off socket. Did you round the head off completely? Maybe try getting a chrome Snap - On 6 point socket and give that a shot.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #3

Not rounded... Hard to explain but with the u joint and extensions we were yanking on it and bent the bolt head so the socket no longer fits over. I might end up pulling the motor for some rebuild action anyway and I'll try these thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Heeeyyy! Oh yeah, worst nightmare-not. This is where you need some patience and skill. First slow done man, way down-don't need the for sale sign.

First back off the bolt; quit trying. Spray some PB Blaster on it(no not WD 40). Next take a chill. Come back in 10 mins. If you rounded out the bolt a fad you don't have a handy dandy stripped bolt socket grabber socket, no sweat. Have a file handy? If so great. If not get one to reshape the bolt to a new size.

Here's the deal. It's highly recommended that you pull the top two bolts on the tranny to avoid this very same problem; then pull the rest. Sounds like the weight of Tranny is laying heavy on the bolt.

squirt the PBB on both ends to ensure penetration. Next, Square off the busted ends of the bolt head. Fit a smaller socket on it. Use a hammer to tap it to fit. Tilt the tranny-adjust jack accordingly, and attempt to loosen as you go. Problem is not a seized bolt-it's rare but a binding bolt due to wrong order of removal. Dropped mine about 15 times now. Take your time. When you do get it loose. Leave the left side bolt just below the mating long bolt. Replace with a new one. It's less than 5 bucks at the dealer but they may want you to buy a set of 4 runs pretty cheap.

Remember, reface the bolt, then tilt the tranny to reduce jam on the bolt. Should be a breeze. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #5

LAS97GT THANKS A LOT MAN haha yeah I've calmed down since. Been back 3 days in a row trying different methods. Trying not to pull the motor for time but I will definitely take a step back and look closely at these options I'll get it done thanks again

Old 07-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Man, it's the only way. When you get in a rush, you make costly mistakes. Also, remember that pros get the job done alone, usually without help. This means knowing all the short cuts. Just slow down bro. Chalk this on up to lesson learned. Next time remove the top bolts first. Never use locktite on tranny bolts either. I suspect that the first owner did Something shady that your paying for. Stay the course and don't lose faith man. You'll be teaching others before you know it.

Worse case scenario since am certain the car is on your driveway on jack stands- re-insert two tranny bolts closest to the top two bolts. Tighten em down. Keep em there as you attack the bad one. Relieves stress on the lone bolt. When you bolt that baby back up use a good one.
Bet you don't have a lot of tilt on the tranny. Don't forget to remove the shifter and any other obstructions.

Have fun dude. I did.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well did you get the bolt out or somehow reduce the problem? I'm curious how you did it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Las 97gt
1997 Modified Black GT Vert,
Old 08-27-2014, 01:40 AM   #8

Ah sorry I never posted an update. Yeah, we were able to drop the rear of the tranny enough to get in with a small saw. Just cut the head and once the trans was down the rest of the bolt came right out with some vice grips. just went ahead and replace the bolt. Smooth sailing from there on out. Cars running better than it ever has since I took ownership that's for sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT