Looking into LT headers!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Looking into LT headers!!

So I have a 98' mustang GT and I'm looking I into buying some LT headers but some the mechanic in the mufflers shop told me that I "shouldn't do that and that I should get short tube because long tubes require motor mounts".. Can someone please tell me that a lie ???

Juh_Jayson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Region: California
Never heard of that being needed, but just so happens to be something you should consider. Also.. Your car came with shirt tubes from the factory

I say do it! Full exhaust 2v sound great!

MyLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
If you live in an area that tests for emissions, you better make sure that they will be legal. In many places, long tube headers are not allowed.
Long tubes are a royal pain in the *** to install.
Shorties offer NO performance gain over the stock exhaust manifolds, they will, however, change the exhaust note a bit.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Region: New Jersey
Your mechanic is an idiot. Or he just doesn't want to do the work because they are a pain in the *** to install, require dropping the K. Also, for a good set that fits right you are looking at $1k and that is just for the headers themselves and the midpipe. The cheap ones you see like the Pypes/Pacesetters are junk, the BBK ones have a big kink in one of the primaries to clear the steering shaft so that leaves the SLP as your best "good" one and the one I would recommend.

Also, for a NPI 98GT you are not going to see much at all from a longtube install and as was mentioned above, they might not be legal depending on where you are located. First thing I would do for a NPI car is look into a PI swap if you don't have that already. Then worry about bolt ons/suspension and look into longtubes as one of the last things you do.

In all honesty, the factory manifolds on a 4.6L are not restrictive, at least not enough for them to be worth swapping out IMO. It isn't like the old pushrods where the factory headers were just garbage and required a R2 as soon as possible.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Thanks alot!! ^^ sound like you know your stuff ! I guess I'll just look into that PI swap... I really just wanted them because of that nice not it gives .. Lol any advice on that PI swap?
Juh_Jayson7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT