What mods should I install next in order? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #1

Region: Kansas
What mods should I install next in order?

I have a automatic 2004 mustang gt. What should I get done next? I know I want to start with the more cheaper mods for now. Nothing over 500 and no nos. I already installed a bigger throttle body/plenum, cold air intake, tune, flowmaster catback, and 3.73 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
callofdutycarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
off road Pypes off road H-pipe. one of my favorites! I am doing Aluminum driveshaft next. Are you interested in appearance mods?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

Mostly just performance right now. Here there I had something new for appearance but right now looking for torque. Idc about beating someone on the highway going over 100 mph. More of a 0-60 times person. I like the takeoff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutycarm View Post
Mostly just performance right now. Here there I had something new for appearance but right now looking for torque. Idc about beating someone on the highway going over 100 mph. More of a 0-60 times person. I like the takeoff

Removing the cats and or long tube headers will help and sound mean.The aluminum drive shaft will help.but slightly over the $500. More powerful coils will help like the Acel.

Do you have any suspension work done? New control arms and things like that don't add HP but will definitely affect the launch
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

Suspension will probably be what I add next

Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Suspension will probably be what I add next

Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutycarm View Post
I have a automatic 2004 mustang gt. What should I get done next? I know I want to start with the more cheaper mods for now. Nothing over 500 and no nos. I already installed a bigger throttle body/plenum, cold air intake, tune, flowmaster catback, and 3.73 gears.

I would definitive recommend taking a look into an Upper and Lower Control Arm Kit to help get you off the line better. They're going to work hand in hand with the gears and should get you moving more effectively. If you're still looking for better starts I would look at a different set of rear tires. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Don't replace the stock uppers, you'll induce suspension bind and rear end hop, replacing the lowers is good. Suspension and a j-mod to the 4R are next and then replace the stock converter with a good aftermarket one. The 2004 automatic trans is the strongest transmission to come in any Mustang up until the 2011 transmissions released but your motor will not see 500hp safely, not without a build. 380-400 to the wheels is about as much as you want to go through the auto. That would be more like 400-425 through a stick, but HP numbers mean squat next to 1/4 times, too many ppl get caught up in a dyno slip and then get their doors blown off by a car making substantially less power.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Like Scotty said, don't replace the uppers. Convert over to a 3 link set up using a Torque Arm. Much better.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Removing the cats and or long tube headers will help and sound mean.The aluminum drive shaft will help.but slightly over the $500. More powerful coils will help like the Acel.

Do you have any suspension work done? New control arms and things like that don't add HP but will definitely affect the launch

On a 99-04? Not close. That's 05+. They are $300-450 on 99-04.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post

Missed this post. Headers are the very last thing you should do on a 2V, a better mid pipe is advisable but it doesn't need to be offroad, a good catted one will open up just as much power and will keep you legal if you live in an area that will get you smacked by cops who actually check. Aluminum driveshaft is a waste of money at this point.

The comment about Accel coils is completely incorrect. The best coils for the modular are OEM, period. Aftermarket "blaster" or "high performance" coils are no better than OEM and are often weaker. Longevity wise nothing is even in the same universe as the OEM coils. OEM is more expensive, but you can rebuild the OEM coils for $30 provided the plastic housing is still good. If not, go grab an intact one from the JY for $5 and rebuild that.

Definitely agree about the suspension like I said before though. And the Coyote guys experience just how drastic good suspension work can be. Shore up the stock stuff a bit with the BMR control arms/panhard/relocation brackets and a good set of springs/shocks/struts and you'll pickup a ****ton of time. Not as crazy on a lower powered 2V but still highly effective. Subframes should be on the list too if they are not done already. I recommend the Steedas because they include extra bracing plates that the others don't.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT