Problem with 99 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Problem with 99 gt

Im havin trouble wit my 99 gt convertible everymornin i check the coolant oil n everything before drivin but i changed my intake manifold gaskets bout maybe 6 days ago since i had a leak. So out of nowhere my car starts runnin kinda crappy as if something was clougged up took out 2 cats one from each side n still nothin since i thought maybe the cats might be clougged up but still actin the same n everymornin i gotta keep addin water since i dont have antifreeze at the moment help plz=(
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
Where was this leak that you originally repaired?

The reason that I ask is, it is normally the entire intake manifold that needs replaced when you get a coolant leak at the intake.
If you're losing coolant, and there are no leaks visible on the outside of the engine, the coolant is either being drawn into a cylinder or it is going into the engine crankcase. Check your dipstick for any signs of a "milky" liquid.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Running straight water into any motor is also a big no no

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Checked everything no water on plugs no diffrent color oil on dipstick either no puddles or leakage on floor only thing i found was a very small radiator crack that recently i noticed=/
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
Do you think that crack may be the cause of the coolant loss?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Running straight water into any motor is also a big no no

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Why? All ppl in Florida run is straight water. If its warm, there is no problem doing it but you need to make damn sure you do a full drain/refill with a good mix when/if it gets cold.

At any rate, the OP needs to find the leak and pull codes to see what is going on. If crappy intake manifold gaskets were used that could be a problem. Or if the intake was not properly torqued in the correct sequence. Or if the 99 PI plastic intake cracked at the crossover or warped under the tstat housing. Could be a number of things.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
parkerz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 321
Well if you like corrosion go ahead and run straight water... I'm in florida and always run 50/50 still. It also aids in cooling the engine as well. Google it.


Sent from the back seat
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Why? All ppl in Florida run is straight water. If its warm, there is no problem doing it but you need to make damn sure you do a full drain/refill with a good mix when/if it gets cold.

At any rate, the OP needs to find the leak and pull codes to see what is going on. If crappy intake manifold gaskets were used that could be a problem. Or if the intake was not properly torqued in the correct sequence. Or if the 99 PI plastic intake cracked at the crossover or warped under the tstat housing. Could be a number of things.
Aside from the freeze damage risk that you take by running straight water... ALUMINUM HATES WATER!!!
Back in the days when engines and cooling systems were, mostly, cast iron and copper, you could get away with running straight water. Still, it wasn't recommended and you were going to have a lot of rusty water in a very short time.
You can't do it in modern engines. There is way too much aluminum. The minerals in tap water will find the weak spots in the aluminum and begin to corrode it immediately. It's also very hard on the gaskets to run only water.
You should NEVER use anything but the proper mix of coolant and DISTILLED WATER in a modern cooling system. If you ever have to top it off in a filling station with tap water, in a emergency, you need to flush the system after the repairs are completed and refill with the proper mix of coolant and DISTILLED WATER.

^ That's one of the lessons that I learned the hard way.

Also, coolant raises the boiling temperature of straight water, as the name "coolant" may imply, so it really is just as necessary in hot weather as it is in the cold weather.
I'm living in an area now that gets pretty hot, (I think I'm starting to get brain damage! ) I don't think that my truck would make it around here, especially towing anything, without the proper mix of coolant, given the hot weather and hilly terrain.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,579
Hmmm, learn something new every day. I have never lived in an area where I would even think that would be ok because of the freeze damage so I never really thought about it. I always just mix up 50/50 and go.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Aside from the freeze damage risk that you take by running straight water... ALUMINUM HATES WATER!!!
Back in the days when engines and cooling systems were, mostly, cast iron and copper, you could get away with running straight water. Still, it wasn't recommended and you were going to have a lot of rusty water in a very short time.
You can't do it in modern engines. There is way too much aluminum. The minerals in tap water will find the weak spots in the aluminum and begin to corrode it immediately. It's also very hard on the gaskets to run only water.
You should NEVER use anything but the proper mix of coolant and DISTILLED WATER in a modern cooling system. If you ever have to top it off in a filling station with tap water, in a emergency, you need to flush the system after the repairs are completed and refill with the proper mix of coolant and DISTILLED WATER.

^ That's one of the lessons that I learned the hard way.

Also, coolant raises the boiling temperature of straight water, as the name "coolant" may imply, so it really is just as necessary in hot weather as it is in the cold weather.
I'm living in an area now that gets pretty hot, (I think I'm starting to get brain damage! ) I don't think that my truck would make it around here, especially towing anything, without the proper mix of coolant, given the hot weather and hilly terrain.
Correct-a-mundo, I used to work for the two fellas that created red line oil when they opened their first warehouse, (damn I shoulda kept that jib,lol) dropping engine temps was a big concern of theirs which is why they also created the redline oil temp drop additive

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
So yall think maybe it should be my head gaskets? Or should i do a whole head gaskets only or do the complete job?? I rele miss my car so much i wamt it running again=(


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Is it not a cracked intake? Every new edge has this problem at one point.
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
No intake is crack free i did the intake manifold gaskets already since it had a small leak n yu could c it kn the block but it dont leak anymore im thinkin prolly my head gaskets r cracked but it hasnt over heated not once at all?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego23 View Post
No intake is crack free i did the intake manifold gaskets already since it had a small leak n yu could c it kn the block but it dont leak anymore im thinkin prolly my head gaskets r cracked but it hasnt over heated not once at all?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
If it is your head gasket then you should have a drop in compression in at least one cylinder that's near the problem, or milky oil either way I would start with a compression test

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Ahh any chance yud kno price on this kind of work first time this happens n worried hopefully is nothing big=/


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
It could be the head gaskets but let's not skip over the cracked radiator, Diego...
If you suspect the head gaskets, I'd do a cylinder leak-down test and/or a cooling system pressure test to determine if it is indeed the head gasket or not, before you tear the engine apart.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
I understand im just rele worried my first car n its the car ive always wNted n worried cuz i dont kno what to do


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,406
I know. Car problems suck!

A mechanic should only charge for about an hour of time to do a diagnostic check.
It will be money well spent if they determine that it's not the head gasket and just a leak. The car running bad could be unrelated. Maybe a bad coil or something like that.
Don't worry.
You'll get it fixed.

How much coolant have you had to add to the radiator since you changed the manifold gasket?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
diego23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 43
Every morning it sucks cuz sometimes when i dont have coolant i have to add water yu kno=/


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
diego23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big problem-easy find, small problem-hard to find Dnraiders General Mustang Discussion 0 08-30-2011 12:10 PM
Squeeling problem Sil\/erSpeed Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 08-17-2003 05:24 PM
News update on engine problem Danger Dude Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 14 08-11-2003 02:54 PM
Major Wiseco Piston PROBLEM! *DUW** plstktnkr2 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 07-21-2003 03:58 PM

» Members Mustangs

Sonic

Scream

Noname

b2673ad
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



06:50 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.