GT vs Convertible Springs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
GT vs Convertible Springs?

Hey anyone use the ford racing "C" springs? How much Stiffer are they,
davidr_1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I believe that those are the springs that my Bullitt came with from the factory.
It rides kinda choppy...
I have my suspension set up pretty stiff and use some aggressive tires so my car is probably not the best example though.
I think that the C's are a good spring rate for cornering.
Ive never ridden in or driven one of these cars that had the stock springs so I cant make any comparison between the two.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, I had my 96 set up with eibach and AGX KYB's, that set used to much shock to get the flat cornering i wanted, this 99 i'm going to try the stiffer 'C' and not go so low and a softer kyb gr2 shock and strut. I'm anxious to see how it works, I figure if its not stiff enough or corner flat enough I still have room to mod with anti rolls and stiffer struts.
i'm just fishing for feed back from someone who might've ridden on both of the or know more about the eibach spring rates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to improve the handling I recommend the C`s. The ride isn't bone-jarring or anything and if you use adjustable shocks and struts... Problem solved.
I just never adjust my shocks and keep a lot of air in my tires.
As a matter of fact, I'm building another Bullitt to race specifically in the ESP class of autocross and I'm going to leave the original springs in the car. The Bullitt that I've been racing is actually a very successful car with that spring setup. The only thing that I've considered changing is to go maybe a hundred or so pounds HIGHER with the front springs.The way that I'm building the new car, I might not need to though.
As far as springs rates go, I'm guessing that pretty much all of the brands, Ford, Eibach, Acme spring co., you name it, are all getting their springs from the same spring manufacturers, so spring rates, comparatively, rate per rate, they should be the same.
You just need to figure out what spring rates suit your particular driving style and go from there.
I think that the FRPP "C" springs are a good place to start, as a baseline.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
If you want to improve the handling I recommend the C`s. The ride isn't bone-jarring or anything and if you use adjustable shocks and struts... Problem solved.
I just never adjust my shocks and keep a lot of air in my tires.
As a matter of fact, I'm building another Bullitt to race specifically in the ESP class of autocross and I'm going to leave the original springs in the car. The Bullitt that I've been racing is actually a very successful car with that spring setup. The only thing that I've considered changing is to go maybe a hundred or so pounds HIGHER with the front springs.The way that I'm building the new car, I might not need to though.
As far as springs rates go, I'm guessing that pretty much all of the brands, Ford, Eibach, Acme spring co., you name it, are all getting their springs from the same spring manufacturers, so spring rates, comparatively, rate per rate, they should be the same.
You just need to figure out what spring rates suit your particular driving style and go from there.
I think that the FRPP "C" springs are a good place to start, as a baseline.
handling is pretty important to me, I live in the santa cruz mountains and love love love my drive off the mountain in the morning So you think a regular shock is not going to be enough for and aggressive ride huh,, lol, after chatting this out with you i think i'm going to agree. all in or get out,, so next question wich strut/shock do you favor? I did KYB AGX on last one and it was ok, i'm in the business so I can get those pretty cheap. I rode in a 96 a few weeks back that had a Koni coil over set up and felt pretty good on my short little test drive
Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, 17 can be a fun drive if there isn't too much traffic...
lol
I lived in Monterey county my whole life. I just recently moved to Northern CA.

Im running Tokico Illumina's on one of my cars. The one that I'm building is probably going to get Koni yellows. When I bought my car it had some Monroe's on it and they weren't a very good match for the springs, albeit, they were getting pretty worn out. They did ride nice though.
The KYB's are a good "middle of the road" shock. I've been using them for years on various vehicles.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I've been on 17 for over 30 years, i've lived up here over 5 years now and travel it EVERYDAY. Old Santa Cruz or 17 in a stang is just fun!

I'm thinkin Koni adjustables this time, yep, gonna have to start shopping now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT