cobra brake swap. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
cobra brake swap.

Do I need new brackets or just the calipers and rotors/pads that fit.?
anyone know of where I should pick the calipers up? rockauto?
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you are getting all the parts separately like that then yea you will need new brackets along with the rotors, pads, lines and calipers.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
The calipers you can get from any parts store, the brackets are the tough part because nobody produces them. I bought mine for $350 off Ebay and that came with calipers, brackets, lines, rotors, and pads. But it needed new pads and the rotors needed resurfaced.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You need:
Calipers
Brackets
Pads
Lines
Rotors.

I bought mine as a kit (fronts only) from BuyFordRacing, a few years ago.
I bought the Bullitt Anniversary model in red with the running pony logo instead of the Cobra version.

It's the same thing AFAIK except the thread size for the hose is different so make sure you get the correct one. The instructions in the kit made special mention of this. My kit came with stainless steel hoses as well as Brembo rotors and back then was about $350.00.

It's made a huge difference IMHO in the stopping and feel of the brakes. Has a much more solid feel now and of course looks great.

Look for "loaded brakes" as those usually come with pads, brackets and calipers so that will get you started.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Fronts:

Calipers
Caliper brackets
Pads
Rotors

Rears:

Axle brackets (have to pull the axles to install these)
Caliper brackets
Rotors
Pads

Calipers are the same on the rears. Makes a huge difference, even over the 99-04 updated GT brakes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have an 02 GT with brakes off of an 03 cobra. What would cause the clips that hold the pads in the caliper to keep breaking? I have to pull the caliper and use pliers to pull clip out of caliper. I've done this 3 times this summer. To cheap of pads ? Traction control actuating brakes when giving her hell? (All though I'd assume TC only affects rear wheels and not front) I hate the rattle sound I get when the clips break and I'm on a less than smooth road.
JWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

On the fronts? On both sides? You are talking about the metal pieces that seat into the two caliper pistons or something else? I have never had any sort of issue with pads breaking clips at all. What brand are you using?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't run into that issue either, mine get weak and squeak while I'm driving. I just bend them back every few weeks.

JWorm have you tried buying one of the parts store clip kits? Or do you just buy new pads every time?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you buy a good setup, you will not have these issues. This honestly sounds like a potential runout issue with the rotor as excessive runout will cause the rotor to push on the pads HARD unevenly and can break things.

A good brake setup will not squeak, and will not break anything. I use Raybestos rotors from Rockauto, Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads and I use caliper grease to keep the pads from squeaking. My car stops on a dime and is dead silent.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
My stock Bullitt rotors will be up for sale shortly if you are interested.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you buy a good setup, you will not have these issues. This honestly sounds like a potential runout issue with the rotor as excessive runout will cause the rotor to push on the pads HARD unevenly and can break things.

A good brake setup will not squeak, and will not break anything. I use Raybestos rotors from Rockauto, Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads and I use caliper grease to keep the pads from squeaking. My car stops on a dime and is dead silent.
See my pads aren't making the brake dust squeak, they squeak because they're contacting the rotor while driving and the noise goes away when I apply the brakes. Hawk HPS pads with Powerslot rotors. It's a common problem with Cobra brakes
Old 08-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I've just been buying Autozone/Durast pads. I know they aren't the best pads. But i have no squeeks coming from the brakes. And it's just the fronts. And yes the clips I'm talking about are the ones that snap into the caliper pistons. And my rotors aren't warped. Stops smooth as can be.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
See my pads aren't making the brake dust squeak, they squeak because they're contacting the rotor while driving and the noise goes away when I apply the brakes. Hawk HPS pads with Powerslot rotors. It's a common problem with Cobra brakes
I have never ever had this issue from owning multiple Mustangs with Cobra brakes. Probably because I use caliper grease on the contact points. When I got my 98 the rear brakes squeaked terribly, every time I hit a bump they would make noise. Re-did the brakes with good ceramic pads that came with anti-rattle clips and also used the caliper grease back there and dead silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWorm View Post
I've just been buying Autozone/Durast pads. I know they aren't the best pads. But i have no squeeks coming from the brakes. And it's just the fronts. And yes the clips I'm talking about are the ones that snap into the caliper pistons. And my rotors aren't warped. Stops smooth as can be.
Did you check the runout when you installed the rotors? I mean you can do a quickie job visually and pretty much see if they are moving or not. I've had cars that stop smooth too but the rotors still weren't quite trued up which is about the last time I ever used Napa rotors...

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I use good caliper greece. And Install the anti rattle clips. After what everyone has been saying I think I might have to chalk it up as autozone brake pads.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I have never ever had this issue from owning multiple Mustangs with Cobra brakes. Probably because I use caliper grease on the contact points. When I got my 98 the rear brakes squeaked terribly, every time I hit a bump they would make noise. Re-did the brakes with good ceramic pads that came with anti-rattle clips and also used the caliper grease back there and dead silent.
I didn't grease anti-rattle clips where they contact the bracket because I didn't think it was necessary, this is similar to what I'm experiencing http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=698824
Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I always use the grease, my brakes are always quiet.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It's probably your pads as I had a similar problem with slight rattle and squeak when I made the mistake of using CarQuest pads. Even though they were the premium, top of the line model they sucked.

I replaced them with Raybestos and haven't had a problem since.
I always use the anti squeal stuff and of course clean and lube the pins with high temp brake grease. Also make sure the clips are snug. Sometimes you have to bend them a little so the pad sits tight and doesn't move.

I've never had a clip break on me though.
That's a new one.
Good luck!
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have autozone break pads on wife's dd and they are very noisy. Will be changing out soon.

"When a man opens a car door for his wife, it is either a new car or a new wife!"
JHghers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Centric ceramic "Posi-Quiet" pads on RockAuto Parts Catalog

Best pads you'll use for a street car. 0 dust, dead silent, they bite like crazy. Of course, they will only do so much if you have crappy parts store rotors. Duracrap/Wearever/Napa are all the same cheap low quality rotors that will warp on you pretty quick. Raybestos, Centric and Powerstop are all really good rotors and all available on rockauto as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT