Convertible top - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Convertible top

Well I put my top down on my 04 mustang n I cant get it up. I dont wven hear it trying when I push button...is there another way I can do it manually.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
evilyn52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilyn52 View Post
Well I put my top down on my 04 mustang n I cant get it up. I dont wven hear it trying when I push button...is there another way I can do it manually.

How long have you been trying for?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Tangtang2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

A day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
This is what I don't like about my Mustang vs my T/A. Ford missed the boat on this one. My T/A has a knob for manual operation. I did a Google search for you and found the text below. It sounds like it makes sense, you just need to find the bolt to remove:

"This may be a little late, but I just thought of it and it's a simple fix. No need to remove the seat or anything. Just remove the bolt from the cylinder shaft to the mechanism. A T40 torx bit and 1/4" drive required. It is accessable from the inside from each side of the top storage well. Tie the cylinder shaft to the retainer around the top base with a black zip tie. That's it, enjoy the top down driving.
Wish I thought of this sooner."

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
FLUIDS! i bought a gt convertible from a lady and she said that the convertible top needed to add fluid into its reservoir every once and awhile tog et it to work.. its regular automatic transmission fluid that goes into a cylinder located behind your back seat (remove the back with a few bolts and its right in front of you) i didnt really believe it but it does actually work. the only problem is that means you have a leak somewhere. mine was in one of my hydrolic cylinders so i just replaced both of them and now its perfectly fine.

summary: remove the back seat and pull the black plug on the right side of the cylinder located in the middle behind the seat. (careful, the plug is a pain in the *** to get back in. i just lubed it up with the tranny fluid and used a flat surface to force it in) fill the fluids and then check your cylinders on either side (still behind the seat sort of) for any flyuid around there till you can find the leak. then replace. hope this helps cause it worked for me
zoneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

Ok thank u..

Old 08-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

keep us posted. i picked up my cylinders for $200 for the set (usually $120-140 each) GENTLY used (i stress that because you dont want to get used ones and then they go back a week later) off craiglist. the install is super easy. just keep filling the fluid and pushing the raise top button until the cylinders line up to screw in (you'll see what i mean)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoneo View Post
FLUIDS! i bought a gt convertible from a lady and she said that the convertible top needed to add fluid into its reservoir every once and awhile tog et it to work.. its regular automatic transmission fluid that goes into a cylinder located behind your back seat (remove the back with a few bolts and its right in front of you) i didnt really believe it but it does actually work. the only problem is that means you have a leak somewhere. mine was in one of my hydrolic cylinders so i just replaced both of them and now its perfectly fine.

summary: remove the back seat and pull the black plug on the right side of the cylinder located in the middle behind the seat. (careful, the plug is a pain in the *** to get back in. i just lubed it up with the tranny fluid and used a flat surface to force it in) fill the fluids and then check your cylinders on either side (still behind the seat sort of) for any flyuid around there till you can find the leak. then replace. hope this helps cause it worked for me

Just curious, if he is low on fluids, wouldn't he be able to raise and lower it manually because there would be no pressure built up to cause resistance? I'm not sure if he ever just tried moving it by hand.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

you can absolutely move it by hand, thats how i had to do it when my fluids were low. but if the fluids were low you also wouldnt hear the motor at all.. as for the pressure, i imagine the air pressure is still pretty high even with a fluid leak.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoneo View Post
you can absolutely move it by hand, thats how i had to do it when my fluids were low. but if the fluids were low you also wouldnt hear the motor at all.. as for the pressure, i imagine the air pressure is still pretty high even with a fluid leak.

He really didn't say if he tried moving it by hand. If he can't, then maybe it is an electrical problem because there must be enough fluid in there to cause resistance since you were able to move your's when it was low. He should clarify that.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i second that notion.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
He really didn't say if he tried moving it by hand. If he can't, then maybe it is an electrical problem because there must be enough fluid in there to cause resistance since you were able to move your's when it was low. He should clarify that.

Just quessing but He may be a She,
Davesorl04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesorl04gt View Post
Just quessing but He may be a She,

You are correct! It is a she. Sorry about that!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You are correct! It is a she. Sorry about that!

Not a problem. By the way, you have great taste in cars. Love those Firebird's too. My first car was a 69 Firebird. Wish I had the money and storage to have collected all of the muscle cars I could wile I was young. You could get cars like that for $500.00 to $1500.00 all day long.
Davesorl04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesorl04gt View Post
Not a problem. By the way, you have great taste in cars. Love those Firebird's too. My first car was a 69 Firebird. Wish I had the money and storage to have collected all of the muscle cars I could wile I was young. You could get cars like that for $500.00 to $1500.00 all day long.

Thank you! I hear ya. We had cars in high school where that same car today in the same shape could cost tens of thousands!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Mine had the same problem. Went down very fast, but didn't come up except manually lol. Look up on YouTube how to change the fluid. Use ATF dextron-III friendly I think it is.. It says it right on the pump. Simple fix that took maybe 25 minutes. I changed it twice because after the first time I changed it it was still filthy and grey. Now my top works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT