Dash kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Dash kit

I found a dash kit I am looking at getting for my car. I wanted to know your opinions on the looks or if any if use guys have purchased one like this it's the remin dash kit. I would order from AM but they don't carry the red and black real carbon fiber I am going with.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407707583.081761.jpg
Views:	1393
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	163201Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407707589.117679.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	163202Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407707594.231442.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	163203

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
That actually looks cool I'd want to see it in person though, don't know if pictures would do it justice or not. The previous owner of mine decided to put wood grain trim all over the inside. But it's starting to get a little seasoned...

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanadams22 View Post
I found a dash kit I am looking at getting for my car. I wanted to know your opinions on the looks or if any if use guys have purchased one like this it's the remin dash kit. I would order from AM but they don't carry the red and black real carbon fiber I am going with.Attachment 163201Attachment 163202Attachment 163203

Well I can tell you right now, having looked at that. It's not "real" carbon fiber. Not a chance. It's similar to the plastic stuff AM has. I had that kit on mine for a while, and it was OK.

BUT, if you're going to take the leap, take some advice from someone who did it, then ripped it all out.

1) Have a heat gun on hand to manipulate the parts and get the adhesive sticky.
2) Get adhesive promoter to spread on the area you're applying to. AFTER you clean the entire interior. I mean VERY clean. Otherwise it will start to peel off where it's not adhering properly.
3) Take your time. Take your time. And one more for good measure. Once they go down, especially with the adhesive promoter, they're not coming off without a fight and it will probably ruin that piece.
4) If you ever decide you want to remove it, prepare for a battle. Get a LOT of Goo gone because it WILL leave tracts of residue everywhere and they do not come off easily.

For those reasons, I ended up going with the vinyl alternative. Has actual texture like carbon fiber would, but if I don't like it later, it's vinyl. I can peel it right off without a big fight. Looks more like the real thing anyway as the kit you're looking at has a clear plastic shell on the pieces, so it has no texture to it.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Well I can tell you right now, having looked at that. It's not "real" carbon fiber. Not a chance. It's similar to the plastic stuff AM has. I had that kit on mine for a while, and it was OK.

BUT, if you're going to take the leap, take some advice from someone who did it, then ripped it all out.

1) Have a heat gun on hand to manipulate the parts and get the adhesive sticky.

2) Get adhesive promoter to spread on the area you're applying to. AFTER you clean the entire interior. I mean VERY clean. Otherwise it will start to peel off where it's not adhering properly.

3) Take your time. Take your time. And one more for good measure. Once they go down, especially with the adhesive promoter, they're not coming off without a fight and it will probably ruin that piece.

4) If you ever decide you want to remove it, prepare for a battle. Get a LOT of Goo gone because it WILL leave tracts of residue everywhere and they do not come off easily.

For those reasons, I ended up going with the vinyl alternative. Has actual texture like carbon fiber would, but if I don't like it later, it's vinyl. I can peel it right off without a big fight. Looks more like the real thing anyway as the kit you're looking at has a clear plastic shell on the pieces, so it has no texture to it.

Ok thanks I will definitely use a heat gun I would do vinyl but I suck at vinyl I always screw it all up lol.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
That actually looks cool I'd want to see it in person though, don't know if pictures would do it justice or not. The previous owner of mine decided to put wood grain trim all over the inside. But it's starting to get a little seasoned...

Yea hopefully it doesn't come in and look like crap. I will be ordering it by tomorrow and I will post up some pics when I'm done with it.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Rice
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Dash kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Rice

Carbon fiber isn't ricey ricers have just given it a bad rep by putting it on everything. That would be the only thing that is carbon fiber in my car.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its not just that, its the fact that it's all stick on stuff. Always looks tacky, at least IMO.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Keep the authenticity of the car and stay away from those kits. They always end up looking horrible anyways. Just my 2 cents.
Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Now, on the other hand, if you like the look of carbon fiber. There are multiple how-tos out there on how to do a legit wrap of interior pieces vs a sticker.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
should look good man, post pics when your all done.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Now, on the other hand, if you like the look of carbon fiber. There are multiple how-tos out there on how to do a legit wrap of interior pieces vs a sticker.
I ended doing this very thing. MUCH happier with it. It has the texture, not overly shiny, and I can peel it off with no fuss if I sell the car or decide I don't like it. Not to mention adding onto areas that don't come in the kit with the excess.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post

Why would they do that..?

BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT