Dash kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
jonathanadams22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 362
Dash kit

I found a dash kit I am looking at getting for my car. I wanted to know your opinions on the looks or if any if use guys have purchased one like this it's the remin dash kit. I would order from AM but they don't carry the red and black real carbon fiber I am going with.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407707583.081761.jpg
Views:	1393
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	163201Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407707589.117679.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	163202Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407707594.231442.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	163203


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
The_Chech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 976
That actually looks cool I'd want to see it in person though, don't know if pictures would do it justice or not. The previous owner of mine decided to put wood grain trim all over the inside. But it's starting to get a little seasoned...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________


Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanadams22 View Post
I found a dash kit I am looking at getting for my car. I wanted to know your opinions on the looks or if any if use guys have purchased one like this it's the remin dash kit. I would order from AM but they don't carry the red and black real carbon fiber I am going with.Attachment 163201Attachment 163202Attachment 163203


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Well I can tell you right now, having looked at that. It's not "real" carbon fiber. Not a chance. It's similar to the plastic stuff AM has. I had that kit on mine for a while, and it was OK.

BUT, if you're going to take the leap, take some advice from someone who did it, then ripped it all out.

1) Have a heat gun on hand to manipulate the parts and get the adhesive sticky.
2) Get adhesive promoter to spread on the area you're applying to. AFTER you clean the entire interior. I mean VERY clean. Otherwise it will start to peel off where it's not adhering properly.
3) Take your time. Take your time. And one more for good measure. Once they go down, especially with the adhesive promoter, they're not coming off without a fight and it will probably ruin that piece.
4) If you ever decide you want to remove it, prepare for a battle. Get a LOT of Goo gone because it WILL leave tracts of residue everywhere and they do not come off easily.

For those reasons, I ended up going with the vinyl alternative. Has actual texture like carbon fiber would, but if I don't like it later, it's vinyl. I can peel it right off without a big fight. Looks more like the real thing anyway as the kit you're looking at has a clear plastic shell on the pieces, so it has no texture to it.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
jonathanadams22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Well I can tell you right now, having looked at that. It's not "real" carbon fiber. Not a chance. It's similar to the plastic stuff AM has. I had that kit on mine for a while, and it was OK.



BUT, if you're going to take the leap, take some advice from someone who did it, then ripped it all out.



1) Have a heat gun on hand to manipulate the parts and get the adhesive sticky.

2) Get adhesive promoter to spread on the area you're applying to. AFTER you clean the entire interior. I mean VERY clean. Otherwise it will start to peel off where it's not adhering properly.

3) Take your time. Take your time. And one more for good measure. Once they go down, especially with the adhesive promoter, they're not coming off without a fight and it will probably ruin that piece.

4) If you ever decide you want to remove it, prepare for a battle. Get a LOT of Goo gone because it WILL leave tracts of residue everywhere and they do not come off easily.



For those reasons, I ended up going with the vinyl alternative. Has actual texture like carbon fiber would, but if I don't like it later, it's vinyl. I can peel it right off without a big fight. Looks more like the real thing anyway as the kit you're looking at has a clear plastic shell on the pieces, so it has no texture to it.

Ok thanks I will definitely use a heat gun I would do vinyl but I suck at vinyl I always screw it all up lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
jonathanadams22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
That actually looks cool I'd want to see it in person though, don't know if pictures would do it justice or not. The previous owner of mine decided to put wood grain trim all over the inside. But it's starting to get a little seasoned...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Yea hopefully it doesn't come in and look like crap. I will be ordering it by tomorrow and I will post up some pics when I'm done with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,581
Rice
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
jonathanadams22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 362
Dash kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Rice

Carbon fiber isn't ricey ricers have just given it a bad rep by putting it on everything. That would be the only thing that is carbon fiber in my car.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,581
Its not just that, its the fact that it's all stick on stuff. Always looks tacky, at least IMO.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Greenville
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 22
Keep the authenticity of the car and stay away from those kits. They always end up looking horrible anyways. Just my 2 cents.
Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,581
Now, on the other hand, if you like the look of carbon fiber. There are multiple how-tos out there on how to do a legit wrap of interior pieces vs a sticker.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Parniak
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 618
should look good man, post pics when your all done.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Now, on the other hand, if you like the look of carbon fiber. There are multiple how-tos out there on how to do a legit wrap of interior pieces vs a sticker.
I ended doing this very thing. MUCH happier with it. It has the texture, not overly shiny, and I can peel it off with no fuss if I sell the car or decide I don't like it. Not to mention adding onto areas that don't come in the kit with the excess.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlueSkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Baton Rouge
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
That actually looks cool I'd want to see it in person though, don't know if pictures would do it justice or not. The previous owner of mine decided to put wood grain trim all over the inside. But it's starting to get a little seasoned...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Why would they do that..?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plasti dip dash/ remove airbag cover dash panel austin0324baird Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing 4 05-26-2014 11:59 PM
Bullitt dash kit Spad 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 6 08-16-2011 06:46 PM
Carbon fiber dash kit? GTdevildriver 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 08-08-2011 02:56 AM
dash install kit 00vee63ate Mustang Audio & Video 6 05-16-2011 02:00 PM
I need a link for a dash kit PenguinFan Mustang Audio & Video 10 07-22-2009 04:45 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.