Exhaust with X pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Exhaust with X pipe

Hey I just had the bbk X pipe put on my 99 and it sounds like obnoxious crap. Is this because the stock mufflers are crap or is it because it's an X not an H pipe? Anyone else been thru this? I have an appointment to put on a pair of dual chamber flow masters tomorrow but don't want to do that if it's the X PIPE causing this noise. Sounds like a damn flex pipe low rider Chevy, not there's anything wrong with that, just not the sound I'm looking for on my GT. Feed back tonight would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
davidr_1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Dump the x and go with a Mac pro chamber is my advice.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Here's what my old GT sounded like. Had UPR O/r X pipe with super 44s.

And then here's my old setup. Had Catted Bassani X pipe with flowmaster 40s

Edited: also BBK is a chambered style X pipe. Same as the Bassani I have. I'd go with a True X pipe like magnaflow or UPR etc.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would suggest not using Flowmasters with an X-pipe!.. Go with a Flow Through design muffler and not a Chambered style one like FlowMaster!..

Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I would suggest not using Flowmasters with an X-pipe!.. Go with a Flow Through design muffler and not a Chambered style one like FlowMaster!..

Some people like the sound of flows and x pipe and I'm one of those. But with my new gt I plan to try something different. Everyone around here (trucks, cars, suvs) all running flowmasters and I would like to stray away from sounding the same. I plan to pick up some Borla soon and switch out the Bassani for a Magnaflow Tru-X. Probably going to keep it catted though.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the video, that's what mine sounds like now, very similar anyway, and under load it sounds like a damn rod slappin. There's another stang drives by my shop all the time sounds the same way. It's obnoxious

Old 08-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr_1961 View Post
Thanks for the video, that's what mine sounds like now, very similar anyway, and under load it sounds like a damn rod slappin. There's another stang drives by my shop all the time sounds the same way. It's obnoxious

Switch the X pipe with either the prochamber or an h pipe.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
Switch the X pipe with either the prochamber or an h pipe.
I just listened to a few on YT, I think i like the H pipe better, 200 bucks poof! Ima go with the flows tomorrow cause i love the sound ,, but i'm also prolly gonna put my H back on even with cats, just for the sound
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

H pipe sounds best with flows

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so I put the flows on it, it was still obnoxious IMO, so I put the stock H back on with the cats for now, now its got that great tone I was looking for,, not sure its as loud as I want it but I'll digest this for a minute and see what I feel like in a week or so. I have come to beleive i do NOT like the X pipes sound, its cool for those who do, just not for me
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You had off road or catted x?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSlashDashX View Post
You had off road or catted x?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
off road
Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If you are looking for that old school throaty sound, then the H-Pipe is the way to go. X-Pipes tend to give that loud raspy sound like a glasspack. It is annoying as you mentioned. I have FlowMasters on now, but that is only because they were a gift. I intend to take them off soon and install Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. They are not as loud as a flowmaster, but throaty enough to turn heads when you pass by. I have had them on my Bronco's and my Stangs in the past. Great muffler, just my opinion though. Hope it works out for you. I supplied a link to them if you want to take a look at them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...2hkr/overview/

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
If you are looking for that old school throaty sound, then the H-Pipe is the way to go. X-Pipes tend to give that loud raspy sound like a glasspack. It is annoying as you mentioned. I have FlowMasters on now, but that is only because they were a gift. I intend to take them off soon and install Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. They are not as loud as a flowmaster, but throaty enough to turn heads when you pass by. I have had them on my Bronco's and my Stangs in the past. Great muffler, just my opinion though. Hope it works out for you. I supplied a link to them if you want to take a look at them.

yeah I agree about the sound of of an X, you described it pretty well, just not my tone,, on my 96 i ran o/r with 44's turned down and it had a great old school sound, but this gen has the cut outs in the rear bumper so turning down is not a great option, I love the sound of the 44's, i think an o/r H is probably in my future, i just had to act quick cause my neighbors were throwing some looks yesterday on my drive up the drive way, i live in a very ,, ummm, quiet neighborhood
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Well like I said, take a peak at the link I provided and the reviews to comfirm my words on the sound of a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler and look at the pic on the description of the inners of the muffler. It is a nice sounding muffler. I'm 45 and and that "Hey look at me, or I want to be noticed personality " is long gone, the teen years,uugghh!

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Well like I said, take a peak at the link I provided and the reviews to comfirm my words on the sound of a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler and look at the pic on the description of the inners of the muffler. It is a nice sounding muffler. I'm 45 and and that "Hey look at me, or I want to be noticed personality " is long gone, the teen years,uugghh!
lol,, I hear ya man,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust

« Rim size | Wining »