help with waterpump pulley - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
help with waterpump pulley

i am wanting to buy this pulley for my car a 2000 mustang gt but since it will take at least 5-7 days to ship i went to my local ford dealer. well they can get it but the guy was trying to tell me that this part number is for a automatic car and me having a manual it won't work . for one i don't see how having a auto or manual has anything to do with your water pump pulley but i just wanted to make sure . was that guy full of crap & a idiot or do i need a different pulley i would think it would say auto or manual ?
Ford F3LY-8509-A Mustang Water Pump Pulley OEM 4.6L 1996-2001
dcm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I do not know or heard anything about a manual and auto trans pulley difference for the waterpump. But there is two different waterpumps, a short snout pump and a long snout pump, and the pulleys are different for both applications due to the correct recess dimensions needed for the belt to ride properly on the pulley. That P/N you provided is a correct pulley though. Pulleys changed altogether mid 01 for our applications, so make sure what ever pulley you get it is for early 01 and below year model.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The pulleys didn't changed that I know of. The engine block are the same except for the PI heads in 1999. I did a head swap to 2012, 04 production heads and used my 97 pulley to boot, so, your dealer mech has his stuff mixed up. I strongly suggest you go after market and wait the the time.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Just get a set of underdrive pullies and call it a day. As far as the stockers, they should be the same.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
The pulleys didn't changed that I know of. The engine block are the same except for the PI heads in 1999. I did a head swap to 2012, 04 production heads and used my 97 pulley to boot, so, your dealer mech has his stuff mixed up. I strongly suggest you go after market and wait the the time.
The pulleys did change in mid 01, which in reality is around 01/2001 due to model year production starts the year prior. But mid-way through the production run for the 2001 model year Ford changed the design of the water pump on the 4.6L engine. The older style pump produced from 1996 to mid 2001 had a longer shaft. In January of 2001 the design of the pump was changed to a shorter shaft. This necessitated a change in the design of the water pump pulley.

The old water pump pulley had a convex or "bowed-out" face, the new design has a concave or pressed in face. There is no exact change over date for the pump and pulley. It is important to visually inspect your car to see which design you have. That is also when they changed the shifter also as that is when the change of the tranny from the T-45 to the Tremec 3650 was installed by Ford. There were a few other suttle changes as well too. But anytime you go shopping on-line or store, they will always see 2 seperate part numbers due to the mid year change. Steeda, American Muscle and the like all show the same as 96-mid 01 and mid 01 -04.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys for the responses i have the old style water pump the bowed out pulley it has underdrive pulleys on it already not a fan of them and just want to go back to stock pulleys . I think i am gonna order the one from cj pony parts . can i just change the water pump pulley back to stock if the alternator and crank pulley are underdrives ? or would i need all stock pulleys . i had to change the thermostat and radiator cap but its been fine for a week now keeping normal temp the other day it did get a lil hot sitting in traffic but cooled down when i got going and again fine since then.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you just change out the waterpump pulley and leave the other under drive pulleys on, it may work depending on how much adjustment you have on the tensioner, or you may have to get a different belt. I would just change out all the pulleys as I am not a fan of the pulleys either. Just not enough gain in HP to keep them.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. You can do a combination of pulleys to suit your needs.
When Ford built the 01 Bullitt's, they used UDP's on everything except they left the crank pulley the stock diameter.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

99 grump gt ,
thanks yea if i could find them i would .well im putting a stock harmonic balancer back on it .so that just leaves the alternator pulley left and its the one i can't find anywhere guess ill have to look at pick n pull .

straybullitt,
wow i didn't know that good to know though thanks for the help
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
The pulleys did change in mid 01, which in reality is around 01/2001 due to model year production starts the year prior. But mid-way through the production run for the 2001 model year Ford changed the design of the water pump on the 4.6L engine. The older style pump produced from 1996 to mid 2001 had a longer shaft. In January of 2001 the design of the pump was changed to a shorter shaft. This necessitated a change in the design of the water pump pulley.

The old water pump pulley had a convex or "bowed-out" face, the new design has a concave or pressed in face. There is no exact change over date for the pump and pulley. It is important to visually inspect your car to see which design you have. That is also when they changed the shifter also as that is when the change of the tranny from the T-45 to the Tremec 3650 was installed by Ford. There were a few other suttle changes as well too. But anytime you go shopping on-line or store, they will always see 2 seperate part numbers due to the mid year change. Steeda, American Muscle and the like all show the same as 96-mid 01 and mid 01 -04.

Yeah, your right. Didn't think of it till now. Thanks! I remember that.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Las 97gt
1997 Modified Black GT Vert,
Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, your right. Didn't think of it till now. Thanks! I remember that.

Las 97gt
That is why we help each other out as a band of brothers in the STANG world!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
grumpy is correct . no specific change over date, they ( ford ) kept using parts till they ran out, my 02 had the early pulleys , build date on engine is 12/01.. I bought underdrives for the later design, before I looked at mine . I just changed water pump instead of reordering pulleys, I have had no problems with overheating or charging ,(sitting in mustang week traffic with AC on was pretty good test)
2stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
If you just change out the waterpump pulley and leave the other under drive pulleys on, it may work depending on how much adjustment you have on the tensioner, or you may have to get a different belt. I would just change out all the pulleys as I am not a fan of the pulleys either. Just not enough gain in HP to keep them.
bingo ! lol so i installed the stock water pump pulley this morning and just my luck the belt was 1-2 inches to long .. so for now i put the underdrive pulley back on till i can buy a new belt or i will just wait till i have all the pulleys before i change it that way im not buying belts left and right but ever since i changed the cap and thermostat its been fine coolant light has stayed off and the cap is doing good .
Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yay! A good ending. Stands 4 life. Of course I dream of a Viper every now and then.

Las 97gt
Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yay! A good ending. Stands 4 life. Of course I dream of a Viper every now and then.

Las 97gt
I have that same dream on occasion !
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm88 View Post
bingo ! lol so i installed the stock water pump pulley this morning and just my luck the belt was 1-2 inches to long .. so for now i put the underdrive pulley back on till i can buy a new belt or i will just wait till i have all the pulleys before i change it that way im not buying belts left and right but ever since i changed the cap and thermostat its been fine coolant light has stayed off and the cap is doing good .
if the issue has gone, then you might as well keep the UDP on. But if you desire to change them, might as well do all. Like I said before, there is not much to achieve by having the UDP's in the first place accept looks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT