what bulbs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
what bulbs

okay, cant see anything when on the highway at night. lights are adjusted properly and even with the high beams on its still not great.

They are smoked headlights from AM and still have the AM bulbs that are probably crap.

what are the best bulbs to get without doing hid
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Bulbs are not crap; they simply are trying to punch light through a smoked lense.

You can try a set of Sylvania silverstar lights; they are brighter than stock as far as light output. These along with the smoked lenses may get you close to the stock brightness you once had.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

Region: Kentucky
I had the same problem I went to walmart and got the Sylvania silverstar they wasn't cheap 44 dollars for 2 bulbs but it did help out a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Tipton103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408031737.866814.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	163470Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408031760.762231.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	163471

These two combined together equal excellent visibility
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Attachment 163470Attachment 163471

Lol Scotty rant incoming

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Lol Scotty rant incoming

Don't worry, I got this one....

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

what bulbs

Quote:
Attachment 163470Attachment 163471

If you put a correct bulb in that housing you will have even better. Right now you are scattering light all over the road so 1 it is not aimed at the right spot for visibility and 2 you are blinding everyone else on the road creating a hazard. Ever think about the guy oncoming from you that can't see now? HIDs are designed to be projected using a special housing, stock halogen housing scatters the light all over the road. Also the bluish isn't that good either, white light is the best for visibility, after around 5500k the visibility starts to drop drastically.

Please do everyone a favor and get a retrofitted housing if you want an HID

HID end all thread
Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Lol Scotty rant incoming

Hids ftw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408043400269.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	163474  
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Hids ftw
You're a danger to everyone else on the road and I hope a cop gives you a fix it ticket. Something along these lines almost ran me off the road with my kid in the car because I literally could not see ANYTHING.

As Soccer said, HIDs are meant for PROJECTOR housings, putting them in stock housings is dangerous, illegal and thoughtless. Just because you want to be like the JDM crowd with the colorful lights isn't more important than other ppl's safety.

Sorry if I come off like an ***, this is a hot button topic to me as I think it would be for anyone who almost had an accident with their kid in the car because of something like this.

For anyone else who isn't quite sure what I'm getting at, read this.

I'll end with recommending something for the OP since the OP asked what bulbs to run. First off, get rid of the smoked lights, they drastically reduce output and are a big part of your problem. Second, don't get Silverstars, the Sylvanias use a coating on the bulb to achieve their white light which actually reduces overall lumen output over a good brand new stock yellow bulb.

You can see this below:

^DO NOT GET THOSE^

The reason ppl think the Sylvanias are brighter is because the bulbs they had in there were probably some cheap replacement bulbs instead of a good OEM Philips bulb and also all the hype from the Sylvania marketing campaign.

So OP, if you want a brighter bulb, get yourself a Philips Xtreme bulb or have a HID retrofit done to your car. On the cheap you can also put a HID in an aftermarket projector. For the 94-98 cars the DEPOs work fairly well with HIDs and VERY well with HIRs but you can only run HIRs in a 9005/9006 bulb socket. For the 99-04 there are the Raxioms... but they are kind of ricey I'm sorry. Hopefully this has been an informative rant and we can keep another Stanger from going down the green/blue/purple/omg dropping acid HID bulbs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
This is why in my original post I asked what bulbs to get without going HID because I get blinded at some point every time during a highway drive. Before it used to just be idiots leaving the high beams on but now everyone has HID's and if it was legal to shoot them out real quick as they approach. That gun shot would probably be safer imo. (well for me)
Thanks looks like I will try out the Philips Xtreme bulb
since I see them at the counter of every parts store I should have them installed shortly and I will give an update on this thread.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If you put a correct bulb in that housing you will have even better. Right now you are scattering light all over the road so 1 it is not aimed at the right spot for visibility and 2 you are blinding everyone else on the road creating a hazard. Ever think about the guy oncoming from you that can't see now? HIDs are designed to be projected using a special housing, stock halogen housing scatters the light all over the road. Also the bluish isn't that good either, white light is the best for visibility, after around 5500k the visibility starts to drop drastically.

Please do everyone a favor and get a retrofitted housing if you want an HID

That isnt the best pic of them on. That was taken by my friend with an iphone 4 in pouring down rain. And what are retro fit housing? I have the perfect set of lenses right now so i dont want to screw up my car with some riced out lenses
Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Retrofit is to bake open your housings and install a set of OEM or OEM style HID projectors in them and then re-bake them closed. Only correct way to do it. If you don't have projectors, you should not have HIDs, period.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Called it

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
That isnt the best pic of them on. That was taken by my friend with an iphone 4 in pouring down rain. And what are retro fit housing? I have the perfect set of lenses right now so i dont want to screw up my car with some riced out lenses
I'll break this down:

Halogen Housings: Typically your stock style, uses a halogen bulb and lots of small reflectors within said housing to project usable light. This work well with halogen bulbs because they're relatively low intensity and are more on the yellow-white color spectrum.

HID/ Projector Housings: These use a projector. It's a small round device within the housing with a lens that focuses the very high intensity light output of HIDs into a solid beam that can be aimed and adjusted as needed to produce usable light.

Now, when you use HIDs in a reflector housing, that super high intensity light just bounces all over those reflectors causing a scatter effect. This blinds other drivers because it's not focused in one direction or another. Also, causes your usable light output to be complete garbage because it's not focused.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Enough said

If the one on the left is you, I hope your ballasts blow up and short out your entire electrical system.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Everyone notice how one of those cars gives off a huge *** glare and the other doesn't????

HID end all thread
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Everyone notice how one of those cars gives off a huge *** glare and the other doesn't????

Totally the white one. That dull yellow haze is eye-searing.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Totally the white one. That dull yellow haze is eye-searing.
I personally hate people with smoked anything cause ugh it's like bro your brakes aren't red enough but my white headlights are too much for you
I hated that yellow look so I went with what a couple of dollars could get me.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
If I was you I would invest in a bumper that supports fog lights and put hids in those. Then put some more fog lights between the snake in your grill and your headlights, also hids. If you still cant see you can get some roof top lights like they have on trucks, hids of course. Still cant see??? Some police search lights, the ones above the mirror? Oh yea dont forget the hids! Now you can see everything!
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
I personally hate people with smoked anything cause ugh it's like bro your brakes aren't red enough but my white headlights are too much for you
I hated that yellow look so I went with what a couple of dollars could get me.
Smoked brake lights aren't going to blind anyone and cause a potential accident. Yes there are illegal too in most states, totally different animal.

Stop trying to justify your garbage ricer lights that blind other drivers so you can look all JDM or whatever. If you want a pure white light there are Halogen options out there for less than a set of cheap chinese HIDs. A good set of HIDs will be $85-$150 shipped for just the lo-beams. A $30 DDM/VVME/Kensun kit is vastly inferior to anything good like a Morimotor/XenonDepot kit.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Smoked brake lights aren't going to blind anyone and cause a potential accident. Yes there are illegal too in most states, totally different animal.

Stop trying to justify your garbage ricer lights that blind other drivers so you can look all JDM or whatever. If you want a pure white light there are Halogen options out there for less than a set of cheap chinese HIDs. A good set of HIDs will be $85-$150 shipped for just the lo-beams. A $30 DDM/VVME/Kensun kit is vastly inferior to anything good like a Morimotor/XenonDepot kit.
It's jdm yo and yes smoked can cause accident. I'll make sure to drive with my hids and hi beams on just for you
. . . . Takashi
Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

It's ok I blast every hid ricer I see with my HIR hi beams. Blacked out tails can cause an accident not a mild smoke. I have neither.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

It's OK if you don't. If it's not for you just ignore it
Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The hid's came on my car so i didnt know. Ima try to get some new head lights now.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The hid's came on my car so i didnt know. Ima try to get some new head lights now.
That or retrofit your current ones. Not sure how much HID Projector headlights are for your New Edge, but the retrofit might be cheaper. Plus you can add a bit of custom style to em if you want.

The important part is the projectors themselves.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT