Slow take off 1997 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Slow take off 1997 gt

Hello there.My 1997 gt v8 manual
Is a fun car to drive in the freeway
But on red lights it feels like it has slow take off speed.the Rpms get high fast and the car doesn't feel quick at take off.is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
9stan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
96-98 cars are slugs without a top end swap from a 99-04 and even then they aren't the fastest things in the world. So yes, it is normal. Gears/exhaust and a PI intake swap will help. A full PI top end will add another 40-50hp to the car and no tune is required.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9stan5 View Post
Hello there.My 1997 gt v8 manual
Is a fun car to drive in the freeway
But on red lights it feels like it has slow take off speed.the Rpms get high fast and the car doesn't feel quick at take off.is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Have you noticed a change recently on take-off based on previous experience with this car and that is why you are asking or is this issue always been this way since you have had it and you are just inquiring about it?

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Get a set of 410 gears, short throw shifter, exhaust, decent tire set up, lowering springs, good shock/strut set up and it will help. The suspension isn't totally necessary on a 96-98 unless you are making a good amount of power over stock but helps the looks a ton and makes it fun in the corners. I've done these mods and it helped the sluggish feel quite a bit. It will never feel Awesome or by any means be a super fast car, but it is what it is, and do those mods and you will enjoy them I'm sure of it. I have done this and it made for a much more enjoyable experience. The gears were the best thing I did by far. I've reached the conclusion that I could do a PI swap and sink a bunch of money into it or better yet save my pennies and buy a already built car (as you get a great deal if It's already done, verse buying and doing all the work yourself - if It's done right of course). Or buy a newer GT at some point etc and enjoy what I have for a couple more years.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Once again, read my post previously. It is easy for other members to tell you what is best for you and your car, in my opinion lets stick with the question at hand, then let the OP ask for the upgrades, remember it is his wallet not yours. So OP answer the question I asked previously, if I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like something happened recently to make you think it is getting sluggish, or you are new to the car and are realizing it is lazy at take off.. Thanks

Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
This is an open forum. People are going to give their opinions. Because something is suggested doesn't mean the OP has to do it. No one is forcing him to open his wallet.

Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
This is an open forum. People are going to give their opinions. Because something is suggested doesn't mean the OP has to do it. No one is forcing him to open his wallet.

Been around the block for many moons bud. But threads usually get jumbled up with do this and do that instead of reading the question and helping with what the OP is needing. It is not a pissing contest, just a comment.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Have you noticed a change recently on take-off based on previous experience with this car and that is why you are asking or is this issue always been this way since you have had it and you are just inquiring about it?
If you noticed it has become more sluggish I might consider changing the oil filter and using some of that stuff that cleans the fuel system and injectors and stuff.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Slow take off 1997 gt

I've driven the car for about a year now.ive just started realizing this.ive done the basic tune ups nothing special.i was just thinking that the car runs better on higher Rpms
I also have to cats missing.
9stan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed the same thing when I bought my car. I had been driving big block (460) powered trucks for 25 years prior to owning my Mustang. The way that the two engines make power is COMPLETELY different.
The 4.6 litre in my Mustang is just starting to make good power at about the same RPM's that the 460 in my truck is starting to fall off the power band.
It took some getting used to at first but, basically, you have to wind the crap out these little sewing machine engines to be able to get any power out of them.
If you have the desire to get some more power out of your engine, reliably, I recommend doing the PI swap.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT