Mechanic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mechanic

Hey guys I just wanted to see if you guys thought this is normal I brought my car to a mechanic to install a new throw out bearing and install my nitrous kit he keeps saying that the nitrous kit is far more complicated to install than AM Says its a NX. He has had it for a month now. I went over to his house yesterday and all he had done this week was unbolt the seat. I wanted to know if you guys think it should be taking this long to get a throw out bearing replaced and NX kit installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jonathanadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Not at all someone is pulling you around

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

It's probably only difficult because he doesn't know how to do it
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geok.91 View Post

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

That's what I thought I am thinking about going and just getting it from him he said he would have it ready by next week. Which is also what he has said 2 weeks in a row. He also screwed up a part I had to replace and he said he still has to charge me the day and a half of labor on the part I had to replace. I am getting pretty upset about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It, literally, takes 30 seconds to remove the rear seat.

You should have had that car back 27 days ago. Mechanics that work out of their house suck ***. They don't get anything done because there are too many distractions.

Get the car out of there and take it to a legitimate mechanic.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He says he has done a few kits before but that this kit is much harder to install and that AM Isn't telling the truth about the difficult and time to install. And he is going to charge me around $700 dollars too.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It, literally, takes 30 seconds to remove the rear seat.

You should have had that car back 27 days ago. Mechanics that work out of their house suck ***. They don't get anything done because there are too many distractions.

Get the car out of there and take it to a legitimate mechanic.

Thanks for the help I am going to try and go get it soon what really pisses me off is when I call to go being him the parts he had broken he acts like he's been working on it all day by putting it up on the ramps and on jack stands. He also wanted to know where to mount the window switch Monday and I went to drop off a part yesterday and he didn't even put the Velcro up its pathetic.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanadams22 View Post
He says he has done a few kits before but that this kit is much harder to install and that AM Isn't telling the truth about the difficult and time to install. And he is going to charge me around $700 dollars too.

Go get the car IMMEDIATELY!!!
Don't pay him a dime and tell him if he wants his money, he can take you to small claims court.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't pay him a dime and tell him if he wants his money, he can take you to small claims court.

Thanks man I will do that I am gonna go by his house today he told me he is out of town doing work today but I am still gonna go buy there

Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man I will do that I am gonna go by his house today he told me he is out of town doing work today but I am still gonna go buy there

Awesome!
Go while he isn't there and take your car. That will make it easy.
Just leave him a note saying that you took the car and have found someone else to complete the job.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Awesome!

Go while he isn't there and take your car. That will make it easy.

Just leave him a note saying that you took the car and have found someone else to complete the job.

Lol I will do that he told me where he keeps the keys

Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Mechanics usually only know how to take a part off and put a new part on.
He probably knows just about as much as you when it comes to installing the nitrous kit.
When people bring after market parts and accessories to a basic shop mechanic 9/10 times that guy has never had to deal with that but will accept the job.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

[ QUOTE=TurboCobra;2066220]Mechanics usually only know how to take a part off and put a new part on.
He probably knows just about as much as you when it comes to installing the nitrous kit.
When people bring after market parts and accessories to a basic shop mechanic 9/10 times that guy has never had to deal with that but will accept the job.[/QUOTE]

Yep I agree he didn't even know how to put on the throttle body plate he was trying to put it between the CAI instead of underneath the throttle body and he told me I had to buy the nozzle so I went over later that day and saw what he was doing so I showed him how to do it. But I had to ship back the nozzle he told me to order.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

get the car back and do it yourself. I am sure between you and the 5 people who give advice on this web site it can be done
Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
get the car back and do it yourself. I am sure between you and the 5 people who give advice on this web site it can be done

Yea it doesn't seem to hard to do thank you guys for the help it has really been useful

Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Please do that he shouldn't get e cent from you
Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Please do that he shouldn't get e cent from you

lol I am doing that I drove by the re today to get it and he has the exhaust pipe down so I can't drive it or else I would have got it today.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol I am doing that I drove by the re today to get it and he has the exhaust pipe down so I can't drive it or else I would have got it today.

I think he's working 1 bolt a day I wonder how long it took him to take off your exhaust
Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think he's working 1 bolt a day I wonder how long it took him to take off your exhaust

Lol he has had it off for 3 weeks and he broke a weld now it has an exhaust leak

Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Now i would get it towed from there to the next shop and give him the bill for everything he messed up take pictures
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now i would get it towed from there to the next shop and give him the bill for everything he messed up take pictures

Yea it really sucks that now it has an exhaust leak he said he had to break the weld to drop the tranny to replace the TOB. And on top of that the time he is taking to install the nitrous kit I installed the bottle ran the line to the engine and mounted the solenoids and all he has done is wire each solenoid and mount the relay. Not wire it up either he still hasn't done that.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea it really sucks that now it has an exhaust leak he said he had to break the weld to drop the tranny to replace the TOB. And on top of that the time he is taking to install the nitrous kit I installed the bottle ran the line to the engine and mounted the solenoids and all he has done is wire each solenoid and mount the relay. Not wire it up either he still hasn't done that.

And he wants to charge you 700 for just hooking up nos or for throw out bearing as well
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And he wants to charge you 700 for just hooking up nos or for throw out bearing as well

$700 for the nitrous and $250 for throw out bearing.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
$700 for the nitrous and $250 for throw out bearing.

What?! Screw that guy and the horse he rode in on. As the others have said, tow it away ASAP and hand HIM a bill.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The nitrous is a weekend project for a novice so you be the judge if that part is worth it.

I will say though, $250 labor to do a throw out bearing is a rockin' good deal.

It's too bad that Mr Backyard Mechanic is so goddamned slow.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
What?! Screw that guy and the horse he rode in on. As the others have said, tow it away ASAP and hand HIM a bill.

Lol I'm going back over there tomorrow I paid him 2 weeks ago for the TOB so I'm planning on either getting it towed or see if the exhaust is back on tomorrow. It sucks getting screwed over like that cause I haven't been able to drive my car for a month now and I getting it basically the same as I brought it except the TOB.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The nitrous is a weekend project for a novice so you be the judge if that part is worth it.

I will say though, $250 labor to do a throw out bearing is a rockin' good deal.

It's too bad that Mr Backyard Mechanic is so goddamned slow.

Yea that was a pretty good deal on the TOB the reason I brought the nitrous to him to do I because a month ago I didn't have time but I am going to spend all day on it this weekend.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I would hate to have someone install nitrous for me haha all that means is there test drive is going to be beating the **** outa your car I bet.. to make sure its working properly of course.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Mechanic

Quote:
I would hate to have someone install nitrous for me haha all that means is there test drive is going to be beating the **** outa your car I bet.. to make sure its working properly of course.

Lol of course he would tear the crap out of it considering he drives a 50 year old truck that has a peice of wood screwed onto the Frame to use as the bed and every time I go over says how I should get rid of my gt because it's a ford.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Lol of course he would tear the crap out of it considering he drives a 50 year old truck that has a peice of wood screwed onto the Frame to use as the bed and every time I go over says how I should get rid of my gt because it's a ford.

Why did you give this guy the job in the first place? Why didn't you just take it to a shop, I would have grabbed it in 3 days if nothing had been done
Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Why did you give this guy the job in the first place? Why didn't you just take it to a shop, I would have grabbed it in 3 days if nothing had been done

Because I have had him do some of the other work on my car such as ac compressor and the radiator fan and the whole front suspension and priced me pretty fairly on it and got it done quick, but with this I didn't expect it to me a month to get all this done. I think it's just because he accepted the job not knowing what he was doing and is charging me for the labor of him spending an extra couple of hours on stuff trying to figure it out.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

id rather pay extra and take it to a shop and if the difference was too expensive all that means is I could do it myself and if I screw up the 1000 I save I can use to fix something I break
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
id rather pay extra and take it to a shop and if the difference was too expensive all that means is I could do it myself and if I screw up the 1000 I save I can use to fix something I break

Yep I should have made sure he knew what he was doing. It sucks that I have left it with him so long. I was planning on taking it to a custom auto shop for the nitrous and have him do the TOB, but I figured since he already had the car there i should just let him do the nitrous.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

If he does finish the nitrous I would probally not hit that red button but I like my life idk about you lol
Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If he does finish the nitrous I would probally not hit that red button but I like my life idk about you lol

Haha yea if he does finish it by tomorrow, which is highly doubtful considering he's had it for a month and has only wired the ground and power wire, I will pay someone to look over what he's done to make sure it is right. No more backyard mechanics for me!!!'n

Old 08-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT