Clutch done today. I'm swearing off trans pulls for awhile... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Clutch done today. I'm swearing off trans pulls for awhile...

Trans dropped to do the clutch, tob and new flywheel today (pilot has 100 miles on it from last time I pulled the trans and is a FRPP and looked fine so I left it in). Car pulled in at noon and drove out at 3:30... getting better at the mod cars. But this is the third time in 3 months and if I see my flywheel or clutch again it'll be too soon haha.

With that said, my old setup was shot. Hotspots all over the flywheel and pressure plate, the tob that was in there was making a ton of noise and now that I have a fresh clutch the car feels a zillion times better. Went with the 11" Exedy Mach 400 and a takeoff flywheel from a Coyote crate motor.

That Exedy 400 clutch is kickass btw, very grabby and no chatter or anything. Supplied tob is high quality and silent. Clutch engages almost immediately which is how I like it and pedal feel is stock. I highly recommend going to an 11" setup for those who have earlier modulars with the 10.5" clutch.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
3 1/2 hours... Not bad!

Can you fit mine into your schedule for next month?

What happens if you were to tear your car apart, while it's on the hobby shop lift, and, for whatever reason, you couldn't put it back together for a couple of days? Do they let you keep the car there and they continue to charge the rental fee? Or are you out on your *** and calling a tow truck?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
3 1/2 hours... Not bad!

Can you fit mine into your schedule for next month?

What happens if you were to tear your car apart, while it's on the hobby shop lift, and, for whatever reason, you couldn't put it back together for a couple of days? Do they let you keep the car there and they continue to charge the rental fee? Or are you out on your *** and calling a tow truck?
Lol, you know... someone at work with an 03 Mach knows I can do these things really fast and keeps dropping hints. He's a cool guy and I'd have no problem showing him the ropes on these stupid things. Although his is a DD and I'm not sure his hardware will come out as easy as mine did. I mean 3.5 hours is with a second set of hands helping out but mainly there for the trans installation and a bolt here and there.

As for the base, if you have your car on the lift and don't finish at closing, you can often leave it on the lift as long as you are back the next morning right at opening. If not, I have seen tow trucks called on ppl who leave their **** on the lift and don't show up after a few hours.

What has happened to me before, is I've had to push the car out of the shop and leave it parked there until parts come in. You can pay a nightly fee to have your car behind a fence or you can push it into the lot and leave it there if you want.

Today, I ran into the "we have no lifts" right at opening at the Air Force shop because of asshats leaving their cars on them from last night. I drove 20 minutes to the other side of the base to the run down Navy auto shop and they had a lift opening at noon and were nice as hell and even cooked my father and I a few burgers when they were grilling. Will definitely be going there again to do any lift related work, they're much nicer and actually closer to my house...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
It was always nice to have the auto shops on base. All the tools you will ever need, just sign them out if not in the tool cabinet bolted to the wall in front of your bay. I had on many occasions had to pull it off the lift and push it outside till next day or when the parts came in. Also anyone at that time that when I was in the service could order parts locally and they would bring them to you at the auto shop while you worked on your vehicle. Those were the days, oil sumps to rid your old oil, anything and everything a mechanic ever needed to do any job.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

The AF auto shop has a wide selection of tools and whatnot as well as a new shop with multiple lifts and all sorts of gizmos, but the ppl who work there are total ******-canoes. The Navy side has a single working lift, a tempermental drive on lift and some sockets and wrenches strewn here and there. But the guys who work there are cool as hell. I have all my own tools and all I really ever need at the auto shops are air tools which the Navy side has.

I much prefer the Navy side and will be going there anytime I do lift work from now on. Which hopefully isn't for a long time.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I so wish we had something like this in Indiana

No other man-made device since the shields and lances of ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile.
JHghers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
The hobby shop on my base is getting to be pretty bad, they have all the equipment i need, sure, but it's all extremely worn and used. There's not a whole lot of replacing worn tools. I end up checking out tools off of the flightline just to work on my car.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lmao, don't ever get caught checking tools out of CTK and using them on your car. Unless its the Commander or Cheif's car lol.

I just bought this. Its always on sale for $159 and I got a few other tools on the cheap from HF and have slowly added to it like more extensions and a big breaker bar etc... Yeah HF stuff is cheap chinese stuff but its lifetime warranty and its held up great. Only thing I've broken is a 3/8 universal and they replaced it no questions asked. Best thing about that kit is the case it comes in and it fits easily in any trunk.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Thanks for the info on your experience with the new clutch. Ive been eyeballing doing this, most likely next spring. Info like this is great. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Haha There's absolutely no way i could! we long term most tools here so as long as it shows up by the time it gets turned in, your golden. Lol plus it's a 1 day turnaround. I don't keep them for longer than that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT