Buying an automatic GT? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
People who don't recognize that autos are faster in the quarter are braindead.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
The human factor dictates that an auto is faster. It is the driver experience and abilities behind the wheel. I seen PPL with automatics tricked to the hilt, but get to the line and know nothing when it comes to gear shifting and RPM torgue curves, and rev the **** out of an auto way past its max torque curve and late shift and lose their *** to the other guy. You have to know the tranny's capabilities before you can maximize its potential. That is why they have that dummy light on big tachs today to assist in the shift points.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
The human factor dictates that an auto is faster. It is the driver experience and abilities behind the wheel. I seen PPL with automatics tricked to the hilt, but get to the line and know nothing when it comes to gear shifting and RPM torgue curves, and rev the **** out of an auto way past its max torque curve and late shift and lose their *** to the other guy. You have to know the tranny's capabilities before you can maximize its potential. That is why they have that dummy light on big tachs today to assist in the shift points.
Yes and no. The auto comes off the line harder due to the mechanics of the converter. A stick just can't match the torque multiplication the converter provides on the initial hit. Not to mention anything with a blower is going to be able to load up with a transbrake. Even if a perfect manual driver was able to shift as fast as an auto (they aren't) they'll still be playing catchup because the 60 ft time of the automatic will be better.

As far as badly setup autos... yeah that happens but I'm talking about one that has the right suspension, the shift points properly set and a good all around setup. Someone can shift badly or have a crappy stick setup too so that's kind of a case by case basis.

Or you can go full manual valve body and have the best of both worlds. Although you'll never be as consistent as a computer.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes and no. The auto comes off the line harder due to the mechanics of the converter. A stick just can't match the torque multiplication the converter provides on the initial hit. Not to mention anything with a blower is going to be able to load up with a transbrake. Even if a perfect manual driver was able to shift as fast as an auto (they aren't) they'll still be playing catchup because the 60 ft time of the automatic will be better.

As far as badly setup autos... yeah that happens but I'm talking about one that has the right suspension, the shift points properly set and a good all around setup. Someone can shift badly or have a crappy stick setup too so that's kind of a case by case basis.

Or you can go full manual valve body and have the best of both worlds. Although you'll never be as consistent as a computer.

Care to share some information on converter torque multiplication? I'm interested in how that works.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Care to share some information on converter torque multiplication? I'm interested in how that works.

On the initial hit, most converters do 2.5:1 or better. Whatever your engine is putting down, that initial surge to the converter will be 2.5x that so do the math. Again, that is just on the initial hit.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Buying an automatic GT?

Quote:
On the initial hit, most converters do 2.5:1 or better. Whatever your engine is putting down, that initial surge to the converter will be 2.5x that so do the math. Again, that is just on the initial hit.

That is interesting, but I was a bit more interested in the mechanics of how.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Torque Converters for Drag Racing - Ultimate Converter Concepts

Good layman's read and I'm too lazy to type a lot right now lol.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

'Preciate it!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was not disagreeing with you, I was pointing out the human factor, and that just cause it is a automatic that it would be a sure win-win. I do not care if it was a manual or auto, the person behind the wheel will ultimately be the deciding factor. Alot of idiots out there that think they are gods answer to dragging, but know nothing about their setup or how the setup works. But like I said, I was not disagreeing with you.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

There are a ton of ppl who think there is nothing to it. Lots of GT500 owners that can't even break into the 10s and have 0 clue why their bolt on/tuned 550rwhp+ "monster" is so slow.

Ugh I really need to get into a Coyote... 2 years Scott... 2 years...

Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ugh I really need to get into a Coyote... 2 years Scott... 2 years...

What is with the 2 year thing? Your planned out time frame to purchase said car?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I would never, ever own an automatic mustang. Guess I am a poser!

For me it's not about being fast. If I wanted to be the fastest, there's a '69 GTO in the garage that runs high 8s. I bought the M6 because I think it fits the car. I have fun going out and just knocking gears on the street. But hey, if I did care about being as fast as humanly possible, I'd probably do exactly what Rapinator does and spray the **** out of my car.

Were not talking about the opinion of which is more preferable to you. They're talking about the true statement of autos being faster than sticks if correctly modded because of the human factor

Old 08-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensV6 View Post
Were not talking about the opinion of which is more preferable to you. They're talking about the true statement of autos being faster than sticks if correctly modded because of the human factor

Right, I am aware of what was being discussed. And I was talking about preference. Because that's how an Internet forum works--you don't have to adhere strictly to the topic as long as what you have to say is somehow related.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I live next to the Hamptons Long Island. Fast is relative. I see more Ferrari and Lamborghini in a day than most people see in a lifetime. I've even seen 2 Veyron s. Its all relative and my car will almost always be the slumdog. 😀

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Don't have to. A little cash, a junk yard and a pair of great heads. HP is expensive at about 50 bones per HP depending on where you live. In my case, no 50 or 500 runs off and leave me without a tussle. Just the sound of my tail pipe discourages em. Lol. Hah!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Las 97gt
1997 Modified Black GT Vert,
Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Right, I am aware of what was being discussed. And I was talking about preference. Because that's how an Internet forum works--you don't have to adhere strictly to the topic as long as what you have to say is somehow related.

Right, and I am aware of how an Internet forum works as well, so I was correcting your irrelevant statement of what you care to drive. Nobody asked what you care to drive, they were talking about numbers.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
What is with the 2 year thing? Your planned out time frame to purchase said car?
That will be when the current car payments fall off and right after we plan on getting into a bigger house. Once both are done I should also have just put on E-6 (or I should get my *** kicked if not) and swinging a $400/mo payment for a 11/12 garage queen low mileage GT at $22k will be no problem and not risk having issues with a mortgage approval or anything.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That will be when the current car payments fall off and right after we plan on getting into a bigger house. Once both are done I should also have just put on E-6 (or I should get my *** kicked if not) and swinging a $400/mo payment for a 11/12 garage queen low mileage GT at $22k will be no problem and not risk having issues with a mortgage approval or anything.
Sounds like a plan for sure. How long you been in the service? I left as a SFC / E-7, and the competition is tight in alot of MOS positions. So your NCOER's and DA Photo and board scores need to be top notch, not to mention PT scores and education. Good luck and hope it all falls into place for you. Where are you settling when you plan to buy the house?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

Been in 10 years, its getting harder and harder to make E-6, last year was 18% selection, my scores went up this year and I missed by the same amount because selection is 15%, they aren't ****ing around I guess. I have 5 more years to make it before higher tenure but I'm confident I'll do it next year or the year after. More studying, more time in, getting a dec written etc... I own a house now but am planning on renting it out soon as long as the mortgage company is ok with it and probably putting in orders for somewhere and buying out there. Most likely WA State at Lewis/McChord.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Heck, with it I'm retiring! Have to-it's outright cut throat. Gave up my diamond as an E8 and said screw it-after 24 years of the same dang thing I can say so easily. But like most enlisted folks (work for a living) in the service today I stuck it out this far because I had a family to raise and still have one kid to go. Figure a retirement pay check and another job oughta make ends meet better without the unnecessary pain.

Las 97gt
Old 08-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all for your service !
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Heck, with it I'm retiring! Have to-it's outright cut throat. Gave up my diamond as an E8 and said screw it-after 24 years of the same dang thing I can say so easily. But like most enlisted folks (work for a living) in the service today I stuck it out this far because I had a family to raise and still have one kid to go. Figure a retirement pay check and another job oughta make ends meet better without the unnecessary pain.

Las 97gt
+1 on retirement. Only thing is I find my self bored to death some days. I literally go out and find things to do. I even reverted to getting in the stang and taking 100 mile trips to ease the boredom. It is funny how we found enjoyment with a regiment day in and day out. And then the day comes and you sit in the livingroom the first day and say what am I going to do today. And I been saying that everyday since. That is why I am glad I got the stang to keep me occupied and I found a new love for golfing too. Hell, I never thought marriage was tuff after 20 years, now that I am home everyday, I seem to wonder am I still married to the same woman. Babe can you do this, can you do that. And the conversations I seem to not remember as much until now. Talking and conversing seems to annoy me now with all this time to sit and I guess she thinks with all this time on my hands means talking more?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Question

Kind of ironic with this post, on a few levels.

I am stationed overseas and just purchased my 01 GT. Feel like I got a pretty good deal? $5k, 101k miles, auto, lowered w/ flowmaster exhaust.

I had to put about $850 in it to get it back to par, that I can think of.

I'm interested in the upgrade of the tranny, among other things. I have found a piece for the trans, Automatic Street Shift Kit.

Also, torque converter. What kinds of gains should I expect, not necessarily HP, just what happens when upgraded.

I have no upgrades as of yet. Trying to work cheap fun for the time. Life just got kind of expensive. Last minute travel home is pricey!
AFcompo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #58
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just do the J-mod instead of a shift kit in the 4R trans. Look it up on google and youtube. Its better than any shift kit for the stock valve body. As for converters, stay away from the B&M cheap ones. You want to look at Circle D, Dirty Dog, Freakshow and PI. The gold standard converter is a triple disc PI Stallion.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Just do the J-mod instead of a shift kit in the 4R trans. Look it up on google and youtube. Its better than any shift kit for the stock valve body. As for converters, stay away from the B&M cheap ones. You want to look at Circle D, Dirty Dog, Freakshow and PI. The gold standard converter is a triple disc PI Stallion.
So, I purchase the converter. Is it a plug-n-play mod, or does it require tuning? I guess I can go do research, I speak fluent "google"!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

Plug and play as in drop your transmission, change the converters and then bolt it all back up so yeah I guess...

Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plug and play as in drop your transmission, change the converters and then bolt it all back up so yeah I guess...
Interesting. I will look into that. I just don't know which direction to start. Just go with the typical starter bolt-ons? or do the Tranny first? I really just want a car that is a DD, but I can have as much fun in as I want. I won't worry about 1/4 times, which I've never ever done. I want it to shift hard/quick and stop as fast as I need. And look sexy doing it.

I'm in Italy right now, so the winding roads, and roaring motor are good for now, but I'm looking to get all "intimate" with the lady-beast!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

Do bolt ons first.

Military in Aviano? I was just there last year.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. I'm here for a short time longer. When did you leave?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

I mean I passed through. We got stuck because your tower closed Saturday night and did not re-open till Monday so we could not take off. Then it snowed mon-wed and your de-icers are only for fighters so... $500 perdiem and a trip to Venice on Sunday ftw!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Haha, wow. I was working that night. I follow all local flights. We usually discuss how it's painful for the crews to have to stay an extra night in Aviano.

I went skiing that next morning up in Piancavallo... the local ski area. I had fun!

Did you enjoy Venice? Had you been before.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

That was February 2013, we actually were in Venice for Carnivale. That was pretty nuts. It was like something around the 12th-20th... somewhere in there. We all loved it, got there at 8AM local time and stayed till well after dark and froze our asses off but totally worth it. Spent a lot of money that day on just food and drinks and wtf having to pay 3 euros to pee?! Never had to pay $5USD to take a leak before lol.

Also, not sure what the hell was up with Gagnam Style being played what seemed like nonstop while we were there. I know it was the popular song at the time but Jesus Christ...

Old 09-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like a good time! They definitely jacked up the prices for the festival! It's normally 1 euro. I have found that typically paying for he toilets in Europe means the toilets are pretty nice!

Just watch out for the Germans, they don't like to flush.... or aim the poo into the toilet!

BLEGH!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, these toilets were pretty terribad but when you have to go... And I have not run into any shizer incidents myself. Maybe if you were in a bad german strip club (or a good one if you are into that sort of thing). lol

Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #69
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryan7 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a 2002 mustang gt with 82,000 miles. I currently own a 01 v6. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the gt auto and gt 5 speed? I would rather have a 5 speed, but if there isn't a huge difference in acceleration then I might settle for this one. Thanks in advance Attachment 164139Attachment 164140
If you decide to go with a manual GT, make sure you find one for sale that has recently had the clutch and throw out bearing replaced. it seems so many people buy a used manual car and the first thing they have to do is replace the clutch lol. That is a pretty damn expensive thing to have to do right after you just bought it and would suck mightily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I believe manuals are a little faster stock. But with a tune and jmod, the auto will be a lot more consistent. I love manual, it's a lot more fun. But totally up to you... It sucks in traffic that's for sure
True, the 5 speed might be faster on paper, but consider that the peeps getting those fast times are likely pros and really know how to feather the clutch and slam gears. I would suspect that for most, the auto will get better times at the track. That being said, driving a muscle car with a stick if super fun right?! lol
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #70
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
If you decide to go with a manual GT, make sure you find one for sale that has recently had the clutch and throw out bearing replaced. it seems so many people buy a used manual car and the first thing they have to do is replace the clutch lol. That is a pretty damn expensive thing to have to do right after you just bought it and would suck mightily.

True, the 5 speed might be faster on paper, but consider that the peeps getting those fast times are likely pros and really know how to feather the clutch and slam gears. I would suspect that for most, the auto will get better times at the track. That being said, driving a muscle car with a stick if super fun right?! lol

Lol, I even had to do mine but I was planning on doing the trans anyway. Its not expensive if you have a lift and know what you are doing. I pay $5/hr in lift fees and it takes under 4 hours.

As for shifting yes, the stock times are done by professionals at the 1/4 track and the older autos were not as good as the newer ones. As for the average Joe driving who thinks he/she is a great stick shift driver. I guarantee the shift times are well off what a legit stick shift driver can accomplish and the consistency will not be there at all. Myself included, I can bang gears but nothing close to someone who has a ton of seat time. I'm happy enough just to be able to bark 2nd consistently now that I've got the new trans sorted out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT