Buying an automatic GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Buying an automatic GT?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a 2002 mustang gt with 82,000 miles. I currently own a 01 v6. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the gt auto and gt 5 speed? I would rather have a 5 speed, but if there isn't a huge difference in acceleration then I might settle for this one. Thanks in advance Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408814367.310687.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	164139Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408814378.068989.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	164140

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Iryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
At the end of the day it is all about your preference and driving conditions. For example; I live in a really rural area so I am not in stop and go traffic all of the time so I love my manual. But I have been in some gnarly traffic jams and it hasn't really bothered me! Id you enjoy a stick and can handle it in your driving conditions I say go stick!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Exactly! I live in PR, and the everyday traffic is aggrevating to say the least. Seems no one works and they are all out shopping 7 days a week. But if I were to count the cars in my wifes family they all have automatics because of the stop and go traffic everyday. But not I, I prefer a 5spd any day, just cause that is my preference. You can do more in my opinion with an automatic than you can a 5spd, modification aspect of it. So it is what you prefer. Now you did state that you prefer a 5 spd, so if that is true, then do not settle for anything less, or you will want to kick yourself in the nuts later wishing you had. But there is always the possibility of a trans swap down the road, but why pay all the extra money and time and effort to do that when you can just buy a 5 speed instead of an automatic. Just my 2 cents worth.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Exactly! I live in PR, and the everyday traffic is aggrevating to say the least. Seems no one works and they are all out shopping 7 days a week. But if I were to count the cars in my wifes family they all have automatics because of the stop and go traffic everyday. But not I, I prefer a 5spd any day, just cause that is my preference. You can do more in my opinion with an automatic than you can a 5spd, modification aspect of it. So it is what you prefer. Now you did state that you prefer a 5 spd, so if that is true, then do not settle for anything less, or you will want to kick yourself in the nuts later wishing you had. But there is always the possibility of a trans swap down the road, but why pay all the extra money and time and effort to do that when you can just buy a 5 speed instead of an automatic. Just my 2 cents worth.
I settled for a v6 auto for my first mustang. Regretted it about a week after buying it haha

Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was weaned on a manual but these days I prefer an auto. I'm a 54 yo old fart though lol !
FWIW a quality tune can really wake up the stock automatic. Much more than the same tune on a manual. Between that and the jMod it's like a completely different car. If you are dealing with city traffic, the manual grows old real fast IMHO. Only place I would consider a manual these days is one of the small sports cars like say a Miata or similar.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I believe manuals are a little faster stock. But with a tune and jmod, the auto will be a lot more consistent. I love manual, it's a lot more fun. But totally up to you... It sucks in traffic that's for sure

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm used to a manual, but currently have a v6 auto. It's pathetic. It's almost like ford took the mustang, put a diaper on it, and rocked it to sleep. I'd rather have a 5 speed gt but if this auto gt is nice enough I think it'll be fine. Low miles are hard to come by for a fair price around here.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
What are they asking for it?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

5800, with 82,000 miles. I've also found a 5 speed that looks nice for 4900 with 120,000 miles.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Grab it. I paid 8k(w/ttl) or mine with 116k, and that was a good deal. Grab the auto put a tune on it, and jmod it. You'll have fun.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I paid 8k with 90k miles, but I think manuals are .6 seconds faster than the autos stock. I don't mind driving stand in hard traffic. Autos are really boring, I've had 3 and 2 manuals. I prefer standard any day. I would just wait til you find a manual since you'll probably regret the auto since you already said you want a manual.
Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you think you will be happy with the auto after a tune and j mod i would go for it. Offer them 5k and run with it. Sounds like a good deal if it all checks out well.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

120k isnt bad either if it has been taken care off. Buy both, and decide what you like better, lol. Jk.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Auto is better. Not stock for stock right off the bat but with the same mods and a converter/tune the automatic will be faster, more consistent and you'll never miss a shift. I am regretting not converting my 98 to the 4R75w I had last year and just replacing my 5 speed with another rebuilt 5 speed. My next Mustang will be an Automatic.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Auto is better. Not stock for stock right off the bat but with the same mods and a converter/tune the automatic will be faster, more consistent and you'll never miss a shift. I am regretting not converting my 98 to the 4R75w I had last year and just replacing my 5 speed with another rebuilt 5 speed. My next Mustang will be an Automatic.

Interesting, I've never heard anyone say that automatics are faster, do you have proof to back this up?

TruBluStang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBluStang03 View Post
Interesting, I've never heard anyone say that automatics are faster, do you have proof to back this up?

Usually off the line the manual cars are quicker at reaction time, but after that, a well tuned auto will make its way to the finish line first. But there are way too many factors to be calculated in every instance.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
EE

TruBluStang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We've had a thread on this before.. If you get a perfect human driver, I think we came to the conclusion that manuals are faster. But no1 is a perfect driver, and so that's his main point to them being faster. They don't miss, they shift in stride every time, and the computer will not mess up.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
If you get a perfect human driver,

It always and foremost comes down to the human factor!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Like I and the others have said, and auto with a good tune and a jMod is a completely different beast from a stock tranny. To say it's like night and day is an understatement. For example, on my car, a 2003 GT auto, the shift points are raised higher and the tranny snaps right into gear. No more slush box feel. I can easily chirp the wheels 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd if I want to. I can also control, to some degree, the shift points with the throttle. So for example if I want to drive casually, I can just by letting up or pressing down on the throttle at certain RPM. This is something you need to learn by practicing.

The only theoretical downside I can see is maybe, and that's a maybe, having to go for drive shaft U-Joints once in a while if you drive the car VERY aggressively.
U-Joints are cheap compared to replacing auto tranny parts that wear out due to clutches slipping and smoothy going into gear, like on a stock tranny. Think of it like someone who doesn't know how to shift a manual and rides the clutch into gear.

Not good for the tranny or clutch at all.

Back in my 70's life I was a Dodge/Chevy fan and we used to put what was called a blocker rod in place of the accumulator spring. We learned that the police and taxis were all doing this to improve tranny life.
Same effect.
Crisp shifts and no slip.

Just my 2 cents.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Actually visit your local 1/4 mile track. All the proof you will need. The fastest cars will all be autos.

Quote:
We've had a thread on this before.. If you get a perfect human driver, I think we came to the conclusion that manuals are faster. But no1 is a perfect driver, and so that's his main point to them being faster. They don't miss, they shift in stride every time, and the computer will not mess up.

Nope, the auto will be faster regardless. They come off the line harder due to torque multiplication of the converter and no matter how good a manual driver is they aren't going to be able to shift as fast as the auto can.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually visit your local 1/4 mile track. All the proof you will need. The fastest cars will all be autos.

Nope, the auto will be faster regardless. They come off the line harder due to torque multiplication of the converter and no matter how good a manual driver is they aren't going to be able to shift as fast as the auto can.

Well, that's all irrelevant because there ISN'T a perfect driver, so you can't say that the auto would be faster against a perfect human. We are also talkin a modded and tuned auto, not just any auto.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Well, that's all irrelevant because there ISN'T a perfect driver, so you can't say that the auto would be faster against a perfect human. We are also talkin a modded and tuned auto, not just any auto.

Hypothetically, if there was a perfect driver, he or she would still lose. Yes I am talking about a modified transmission. I thought that was blatantly obvious lol.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Everyone makes fun of auto drivers saying they're not real mustangs. When really with the same mods an auto puts out better results lol

Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensV6 View Post
Everyone makes fun of auto drivers saying they're not real mustangs. When really with the same mods an auto puts out better results lol

I've said this many times and get responses like "lol you bought a sports car with 2 pedals fail!!!1111" or "automatic Mustangs are optional in pink and come with a purse" or something like that. What is great about those sorts of posts is it instantly let you know who the posers are and also who has ever been to a track in their lives.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have 03 gt auto and I love it, it's faster at track for most car and on the street. I love it.

built not bought
saleenfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've said this many times and get responses like "lol you bought a sports car with 2 pedals fail!!!1111" or "automatic Mustangs are optional in pink and come with a purse" or something like that. What is great about those sorts of posts is it instantly let you know who the posers are and also who has ever been to a track in their lives.

Agreed lol. Or I love it when someone says "if I had a mustang it would have to be a stick" I just reply and say yeah but you don't have one lol. I'm 19 and I paid for mine cause I've been working forever for one and it's funny being able to piss off prep boy driving daddy's truck lol!! Not to mention I've modded quite a bit so it's a quick little v6 I have fun with it. Wish I had a GT but like I said I had to pay for mine and I didn't have quite enough lol

Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensV6 View Post
Agreed lol. Or I love it when someone says "if I had a mustang it would have to be a stick" I just reply and say yeah but you don't have one lol. I'm 19 and I paid for mine cause I've been working forever for one and it's funny being able to piss off prep boy driving daddy's truck lol!! Not to mention I've modded quite a bit so it's a quick little v6 I have fun with it. Wish I had a GT but like I said I had to pay for mine and I didn't have quite enough lol

Hey man. I'm sure those kids all "bought" their huge *** jacked up cummins!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Lol you're right man I forgot they probably saved up allowance for the lift kits as well!!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Buying an automatic GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryan7 View Post
5800, with 82,000 miles. I've also found a 5 speed that looks nice for 4900 with 120,000 miles.

I'd buy the 02 manual and use the rest you would save to either clean up the heads, or buy a new set from ford racing for say $800 bones. Doing so won't change the odometer but it will sure handle like new. Just a thought.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Congrats on earning your own ride man. Also, I get a lot of sneers cuz I own a ford and not a Chevy or GMC. Ford engines are made tough so you pay top dollar not to mention no gas guzzler tax either. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409102721.536988.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	779.0 KB
ID:	164462

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Las 97gt
1997 Modified Black GT Vert,
Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
I'd buy the 02 manual and use the rest you would save to either clean up the heads, or buy a new set from ford racing for say $800 bones. Doing so won't change the odometer but it will sure handle like new. Just a thought.
Why would you replace stock heads with stock heads? The FRPP heads are literally the exact same as the 02 heads except for 8 thread plug holes. This is meaningless unless you overtorque the plugs during a plug change.

Also how would cylinder heads alter the handling of the car?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would never, ever own an automatic mustang. Guess I am a poser!

For me it's not about being fast. If I wanted to be the fastest, there's a '69 GTO in the garage that runs high 8s. I bought the M6 because I think it fits the car. I have fun going out and just knocking gears on the street. But hey, if I did care about being as fast as humanly possible, I'd probably do exactly what Rapinator does and spray the **** out of my car.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I would never, ever own an automatic mustang. Guess I am a poser!

For me it's not about being fast. If I wanted to be the fastest, there's a '69 GTO in the garage that runs high 8s. I bought the M6 because I think it fits the car. I have fun going out and just knocking gears on the street. But hey, if I did care about being as fast as humanly possible, I'd probably do exactly what Rapinator does and spray the **** out of my car.

I'm not saying someone like YOU is a poser, I'm saying the ppl who don't think that an auto CAN be fast or that ppl who do buy autos are retarded are the posers. As I said in this thread and in others, get what YOU like. If you like banging gears or road racing get a stick. If you want max 1/4 results and don't mind the car shifting for you, get an auto.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying someone like YOU is a poser, I'm saying the ppl who don't think that an auto CAN be fast or that ppl who do buy autos are retarded are the posers. As I said in this thread and in others, get what YOU like. If you like banging gears or road racing get a stick. If you want max 1/4 results and don't mind the car shifting for you, get an auto.

Oh yeah, absolutely. People who don't recognize that autos are faster in the quarter are braindead.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT