Double-Din Install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
Double-Din Install

I have a double-din head unit from my old car that I would like to put in my 98 mustang. I've seen that other people have done it and I want to because I love my stereo. My friend has an 04 mustang I think with the same shaped stereo dash panel but his has a double din space and mine has 2 single din spaces (cassette and cd). Does anyone know if I could possibly swap my stereo dash panel for a newer models? would it mount properly? Or would I have to cut out sections of my own dash panel for it to work?
oceansniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
There interchangeable . Go to a scrap yard auto recycler junk yard find one with the double din slot and from there its an easy swap out.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Or the double dins are on E-Bay all the time in different interior colors, tan and black, or charcoal.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Not quite a direct snap in...

Double Din Radio Bezel Install

The biggest thing is you need to figure a way to support the bottom radio bolts because on the 01-04 dashes there are bolts for it behind the bezel. You can see in the linked thread this guy just ran screws through it. I've seen some ppl run pop rivets too and that looks better but most ppl figure out some sort of DIY bracing out of hardware store metal stock and hide it.

Then you need to run block offs in the switches for that 01-04 bezel since you won't be using them for anything unless you want to re-wire the fog/defrost in there and find some working switches out of the JY.

The block offs are here

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ol-Delete-Plug

Or... if you have some fiberglass skills, you can just do this

double din using 94-98 radio bezel start to finish

The custom one looks much nicer IMO but the 01-04 is much easier if you can find one used that is in good shape. You can get them for $130 new as well but they will have to be painted to match a 94-98 car. 99/00 will color match just fine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

Region: Missouri
Thanks! The custom job actually looks kind of doable and I still have plenty of filler from my last car haha. Once I get my top priorities fixed I will be installing this. I'll be sure to post pics too
oceansniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yeah the custom job is the best and it puts the radio up as high as possible which is optimal in these cars. The OEM one is too low IMO but it does make the swap a nearly direct bolt in. Like I said just have to go buy a piece of metal stock from home depot, cut a few pieces, measure/drill some holes and mount them.

I think once MirrorLink becomes commonplace on all double DINs and supported by all phones that is going to be the way to go. Throw the phone on the charger in the armrest and control everything from the headunit. I may look into that myself, my G2 supports MirrorLink.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT