Need advice on replacement tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Need advice on replacement tires

I have a 96 SVT Cobra. It currently has Firestone 245/40 RZ17 tires. Last weekend

On the way to a show I had a flat. I need to replace both rear tires because they are worn. The tires are Firestone Firehawk tires.

Calling around. They appear to be discontinued, hard to get.

Car is a fair weather car only, never sees rain or snow.

Looking for recommendation for tires. Was at a tire shop looking today. They had Hankook Ventus S1 Noble, Michellin Pilot, and Pirelli PZero Nero.

I'm looking for good performance on dry. We only use the car on weekends & sunny days.

So I don't drag race, not into Burnouts, I am into corners & performance.

What do you recommend, and have any experience with with Tire Rack?

Thanks, DaveClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409109637.160638.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	873.1 KB
ID:	164486

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I recently last christmas used Tire Rack and purchased a gift Certificate for the price of 4 new rims for my dads new 2014 Impala. The rimes were shipped to a local shop near my father in 1 day. Have no complaint with them based on that. Tires, on the other hand are a tuff question for which is best for you. I personally am about tread pattern and design, and mileage. My current set of tires are Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z tires, I have 315/35/17 on back and 275/40/17 up front. I have about 1000 miles on them and I think they are a great tire. But for the ones you mentioned, the only ones I have used were the Perelli P Zero Nero that were on my 2006 GT. I only used them for about 5k and then bought new Chip Foose staggered and Sumitomo's for those.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Stay away from the Pirelli's.

The Hankooks would be a good choice.
I heard that Mickey Thompson's are a good performance tire as well.
You might also look at what BFG has to offer.

Personally, I run Dunlop Direzza ZII's...

Check out Tire Rack.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I don't push it except on curves. I upgraded the suspension so I'd like to try my hand at auto cross. So handling is my top concern.

Another thing that's important is a road hazard warranty. Our area got hit hard in may with a hail storm. 10,000 roofs are being replaced. That's how I picked up a nail. Just in my immediate neighborhood there are at least 15-20 roofs & siding being replaced now.

Still open to more experience & suggestions.

Btw: I need to call my local shop who turned me onto the Hankooks. I gave him the wrong aspect ratio of 45, I need 40. I think when I spoke to someone else there yesterday 40 was an issue. All the had were Continental Contacts in that size.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well if you are going to do autocross you came to the right people (me and Straybullitt). We seem to be the more active autocrossers on the forum.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
How aggressive of a tire do you want? I loved my Hankook Ventus RS3s, they had great grip on track days and were pretty quiet. The only down side is that they're a 200 tread wear on the updated version
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have Kumho ECSTA 4X on my 03 GT. It's a good tire at a good price. This is my weekend car but it does get use during the week running errands. No drag strip but mild corner carving.

My 2011 Dodge Caravan has a different model Kumho (factory) and they are horrible tires because they pick up everything on the road. I've never had so many flat tires on a car in my life.

Just goes to show how the model tire within the brand can make a huge difference.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Stay away from the Pirelli's.
I have heard several people on this forum say that but have not convinced me. I have 54K miles on my P-Zeros with a lot of tread left. What is everyone's gripe anyway?
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Really happy with my Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires. As for Perreli P-Zero I had some on my 2011 GT and this 2013 GT and the werent great grip and they shredded through rubber like a hot knife through butter. I replaced both sets by 15,000 miles
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Only actual street tire worth a crap, is the mickey Thompson street comps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Follow up. 245/45/17 tires were OEM Fronts are 245/40/17. Will putting 245/45/17 on rear cause any issues? They are much easier to come by.
Thanks, Dave

At this point I just want to get her back on the road. But I don't want to buy something I'll regret later. I never want to step backwards, at least as good as the Firehawks or improve.

Any thoughts on Goodyear Razorbacks?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

245's won't be a problem. You can even put 255's on 8 inch rims. I like the sidewall angle of the 245's for autocrossing though.

I think those Eagle Razorbacks are what came on my Bullitt originally. I'll bet they're nice tires but I can see, just by looking at them, that they'll suck on the autocross track.
You didn't like the Dunlops?

If you want to have a sticky set of autocross capable tires, the UTQG (treadwear) number should be 200 or LESS.
For comparison, your Firestone Firehawks are 300+.

Here are a couple more to consider:
Kumho Ecsta XS
Toyo Proxes R1R
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't seen the Dunlops yet. What specs should I be looking at when comparing one tire to the next.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

When choosing a performance tire I compare the UTQG numbers and the price.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
When choosing a performance tire I compare the UTQG numbers and the price.
Me too....
Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Only actual street tire worth a crap, is the mickey Thompson street comps.

Hey now I've had great luck with all the BFGs I've bought including the current set I have.

With that said, when/if I eventually get a Coyote I'm putting the Street Comps on lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I dislike the street comps. I can spin them all the way up the road if I want, couldn't even do that with my worn out all seasons lol some twisty roads I like to drive on make me feel like my tires are plastic. I expected them to be sticky and hook like a mofo but doesn't work like that for me unfortunately.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
I dislike the street comps. I can spin them all the way up the road if I want, couldn't even do that with my worn out all seasons lol some twisty roads I like to drive on make me feel like my tires are plastic. I expected them to be sticky and hook like a mofo but doesn't work like that for me unfortunately.
Suspension is your problem. I make alot more power to the ground then you do.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Hey now I've had great luck with all the BFGs I've bought including the current set I have.

With that said, when/if I eventually get a Coyote I'm putting the Street Comps on lol.
True I like the BFGs also. The kdw2's

Old 08-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Suspension is everything.
Back when I had my old 03 cobra it was nothing more than. A dyno queen till suspension was looked at

Old 08-29-2014, 01:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Getting a pair of Hankook Ventus Noble in the morning. Drove myself crazy looking at specs vs affordable vs 90% of my real life driving.

When the money comes around I'll add a new pair to the front.

Really looked hard at eBay and Tire Rack vs local. Local offers pretty much free everything after you buy the tire. And a no questions Road Hazard Warranty for just $15 a tire.

If you go Internet, pay shipping in some cases, then mounting and balance which local was $22/per + disposal charge, and no availability of Road Hazard Warranty, the difference is very small.

A local chain, CJ's tire store is very competitive plus really stands behind their product. Plus with Internet & the holiday I couldn't get the tires until Tuesday or Wednesday. Local, I'll have them in the AM and be able to go to a Mustang Coral at Carlisle on Saturday.

Thanks for all your input. Dave

Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Follow up, I misposted, I have 275/40/Z17 tires. Having an impossible time finding them locally. One place could get Cooper or Uniroyal Tiger Paw. I'm definitely not interested in Uniroyal. So if I need to buy 4 new tires, what size are you running. I don't want staggered because I want to be able to rotate. I really like the stance of the 275.

Both Nitto and Sumitomo make an affordable 275-40-17. I read pretty good reviews of both actually, what's your thoughts on those. I was convinced on Hankook but I think in a 17 low profile they don't go any wider than 245. This has been so frustrating. I thought once I broke down and decided to buy new I'd make some calls and be on my way. It seems for the 275-40-17 my only hope may be the net. Either Tire rack or eBay. Tire rack often has the same tires on eBay buy it now for free shipping vs $13 a tire on their site. But when you buy on eBay I don't think you can buy a road hazard warranty. Thanks again for all of your help. Missing another show on a beautiful day, not a happy camper.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I like the Pirelli's except for the fact that they do not last long only have 40k miles and am on 3rd set. Would suggest something else.
cjd_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

How wide are your rims Spiney? 275's are too wide for 8 inch rims...
TireRack has some deals going on right now.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Disregard that.
I just looked at the pic of your car again. Those rims look like at least 9 inch.

TireRack has a $50 gift card rebate with the purchase of 4 Sumitomo's. One of their tires looks to be sticky as hell for around $100. I don't know anyone who has used them though so you would be "taking one for the team".
Old 08-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Rims are real Ford Racing 95 Cobra R 17x9"

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Getting a pair of Hankook Ventus Noble in the morning. Drove myself crazy looking at specs vs affordable vs 90% of my real life driving.

When the money comes around I'll add a new pair to the front.

Really looked hard at eBay and Tire Rack vs local. Local offers pretty much free everything after you buy the tire. And a no questions Road Hazard Warranty for just $15 a tire.

If you go Internet, pay shipping in some cases, then mounting and balance which local was $22/per + disposal charge, and no availability of Road Hazard Warranty, the difference is very small.

A local chain, CJ's tire store is very competitive plus really stands behind their product. Plus with Internet & the holiday I couldn't get the tires until Tuesday or Wednesday. Local, I'll have them in the AM and be able to go to a Mustang Coral at Carlisle on Saturday.

Thanks for all your input. Dave

I have a really good wheel/tire shop around me that is the same way. They will match any price after shipping and installation is factored in. They are really cool and most of the techs are domestic sports car guys that will let you in the shop to watch them work and bull**** with them. Much better to support a local business like this IMO.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:25 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I have heard several people on this forum say that but have not convinced me. I have 54K miles on my P-Zeros with a lot of tread left. What is everyone's gripe anyway?
Wow...54K miles...that's insane...you sir should be in the Mustang Tire duration hall of fame....not sure this is possible unless your not ever chirping the tires?

Spiney:

Did you ever look at Discouttiredirect.com? They don't have all the brands, but you should be able to find at least 15 tires in 275/40/17 size. As far as Nitto Tires go, I'm currently running their 315/35/17 555Rs (drag radials). For a tire that begins with 60% tread they have held up well on the street and the one drag strip trip I made in July (so far I have about 6-8K miles on them and I think I should be able to at least double that). In the future I think I'll go with the standard Nitto 555 street tire and buy a set of slicks/wheels for when I go to the track just for my street tires longevities sake.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a really good wheel/tire shop around me that is the same way. They will match any price after shipping and installation is factored in. They are really cool and most of the techs are domestic sports car guys that will let you in the shop to watch them work and bull**** with them. Much better to support a local business like this IMO.
Same here. A little independent shop that can usually get me any tire I want and will match the online places like Tire Rack etc. I like supporting local businesses when I can.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
Wow...54K miles...that's insane...you sir should be in the Mustang Tire duration hall of fame....not sure this is possible unless your not ever chirping the tires?

Spiney:

Did you ever look at Discouttiredirect.com? They don't have all the brands, but you should be able to find at least 15 tires in 275/40/17 size. As far as Nitto Tires go, I'm currently running their 315/35/17 555Rs (drag radials). For a tire that begins with 60% tread they have held up well on the street and the one drag strip trip I made in July (so far I have about 6-8K miles on them and I think I should be able to at least double that). In the future I think I'll go with the standard Nitto 555 street tire and buy a set of slicks/wheels for when I go to the track just for my street tires longevities sake.
I can't un-recommend the 555Rs enough... if that's even a word. They are super narrow for a 315 (more like a 285) and I could spin them in 2nd gear with a bolt on 2V. The regular 555s are a decent street tire but they run narrow too. For the price you pay for Nittos its completely not worth it. The BFGs I run are way better than any Nitto I've ran and much cheaper to boot.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
For the price you pay for Nittos its completely not worth it. The BFGs I run are way better than any Nitto I've ran and much cheaper to boot.
I completely agree with your accessment. I have had the 555's in the past. For the street duty I put my car through and the miles that I put on a car, it is not worth putting them on my car again. Before you know it you are replacing them and thinking to yourself was not too long ago I bought these. In my honest opinion they are just too damn soft of a compound for street use. I have had good luck BFG's even though I am not running them now. I also had good luck out of Sumo's, and a good many others. I do not in my older age burn out all the time, nor do I corner carve as much, though I do that more than burning the rubber at a take off. I do enjoy taking corner's at speed. But this is my 3rd set of Sumo's on two seperate applications and I get great mileage out of them. And handling is superb, even in wet conditions.

Remember the days of bias and 60's, 50's, 70's, things used to be so easy in those days. Just go to the local tire shop and get a set of 60's and be done with it. Burning the hell out of them and then going back for more.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

555's suck 555r's suck

Old 08-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Haha
That's right!
There was none of this internet BS like nowadays... You just went into Grand Auto, trusted, implicitly, what the "fresh out of high school" 18 year old tire salesman was telling you, and bought a set of Wide Oval 60's to mount up on your chrome "deep dish' rims with the "baby moon" hubcaps... Or if you were lucky enough, a set of Cragars.
And then, go home and polish up the chrome, Armour All the tires real good, and the car is ready for Saturday night cruisin'.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't un-recommend the 555Rs enough... if that's even a word. They are super narrow for a 315 (more like a 285) and I could spin them in 2nd gear with a bolt on 2V. The regular 555s are a decent street tire but they run narrow too. For the price you pay for Nittos its completely not worth it. The BFGs I run are way better than any Nitto I've ran and much cheaper to boot.
What BFGs? Street or DRs?

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If your into corners and autocross, and the car is only a dry weather car.... I would look into BF Goodrich G Force Rivals, or Toyo Proxes R888. The BFG is a 200 tread wear and the Toyo is a 100 tread wear, and I've heard amazing things about both. I'll probably be getting one of them next.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT