2001 Bullitt Build Thread - Page 12 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #386
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Dont forget Mercedes
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #387
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Of course Bmw guys will say that, and they're wrong. The cars are garbage there's no argument. They are poorly made and overpriced and overrated...
95 was the last good BMW after that they decided to ruin their cars...

Adventure till you drop

Seriously!? I'm all about American cars. I've never bought anything but American cars in fact, but I can't say I believe that statement for a minute. I believe the parts cost more for sure. But no way BMW has garbage cars lol.

@azurebluemach
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #388
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
It's because you don't work on them,
Here's an example...
Believe it or not everything that holds the engine together is aluminum. They did this to prevent electrolysis of the coolant. It is a smart move but very poorly executed. The engines aren't living long enough for electrolysis to even be an issue, everything is breaking before electrolysis could effect the engine.
Another example we had an 06 BMW come to our shop for an oil leak. After doing an inspection and diagnostics, we found where the leak was coming from. Now BMW released a technical service bulletin about a certain area on the engine. There's two metal plates and over time the plates will start to pull apart. And if oil is leaking form said area, this is was BMW said, the engine needs to be replaced. The car was well maintained and had low mileage and it still happened to the vehicle. One of the criteria for a technical service bulletin to be issued is an issue that has appeared an X number of times on production vehicles. It is similar to a recall. Now it took nearly 6 hours of labor to get to the location of the spot. After showing the information to the owner of the vehicle and showing the location with proof it had oil leaking there. This is stated from BMW the engine had to be replaced, 12 thousand dollars for an engine. After reassembling the car and having it towed to a BMW. BMW charged them over 4 grand and the car only lived for 1 year before engine was toast.
Another interesting note you might like is, BMW no longer offers wire diagrams or service bulletins for their cars to the public. BMW has the info programmed in their scan tools, that's one reason why we had to by a factory BMW scan tool, we couldn't fix them because we couldn't get the proper information, and BMW wanted close to 10 grand for a scan tool...
I'll say it again BMWs are garbage, their interior might be nice and they might look good but their powertrain and computer system are GARBAGE...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #389
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Hmmm, I always hear that "160k is just getting broken in for a BMW" but again, that's the internets.

It can all be solved by buying a real clean E36 M3 and swapping in a LS1. Although a clean one of those is about the same price as a FD RX7 roller for that sort of swap.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #390
Registered Member

Regular

Alright here you go. This is from a 06 BMW...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430275439.320551.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	181319
Which they started getting bad around the 95-2000 era, that area is kinda hit and miss, but newer it's more strike out...
80s BMWs are bullet proof, would like to have a M6 from the 80s

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #391
ME Bloodhound
Staff

IF I got a euro car it would be under warranty lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #392
Registered Member
Regular

The best way to "own" one of the fine European automobiles is to lease a brand new one and be able to write the payment off on your income tax. Short term and turn it in when the lease is up.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #393
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
It's because you don't work on them,
Here's an example...
Believe it or not everything that holds the engine together is aluminum. They did this to prevent electrolysis of the coolant. It is a smart move but very poorly executed. The engines aren't living long enough for electrolysis to even be an issue, everything is breaking before electrolysis could effect the engine.
Another example we had an 06 BMW come to our shop for an oil leak. After doing an inspection and diagnostics, we found where the leak was coming from. Now BMW released a technical service bulletin about a certain area on the engine. There's two metal plates and over time the plates will start to pull apart. And if oil is leaking form said area, this is was BMW said, the engine needs to be replaced. The car was well maintained and had low mileage and it still happened to the vehicle. One of the criteria for a technical service bulletin to be issued is an issue that has appeared an X number of times on production vehicles. It is similar to a recall. Now it took nearly 6 hours of labor to get to the location of the spot. After showing the information to the owner of the vehicle and showing the location with proof it had oil leaking there. This is stated from BMW the engine had to be replaced, 12 thousand dollars for an engine. After reassembling the car and having it towed to a BMW. BMW charged them over 4 grand and the car only lived for 1 year before engine was toast.
Another interesting note you might like is, BMW no longer offers wire diagrams or service bulletins for their cars to the public. BMW has the info programmed in their scan tools, that's one reason why we had to by a factory BMW scan tool, we couldn't fix them because we couldn't get the proper information, and BMW wanted close to 10 grand for a scan tool...
I'll say it again BMWs are garbage, their interior might be nice and they might look good but their powertrain and computer system are GARBAGE...

Adventure till you drop
Yeah, but really, there's stories like this for every manufacturer. I'm not trying to say they haven't practiced the old "cut costs" routine, but seems like they still make good reliable vehicles. Or at least as reliable as the top 5 manufacturers. I've talked to Ford service techs that think Ford's product sucks lol. I think it's just something that people who work on vehicles and you see how modern vehicles are engineered nowadays, it makes you question the quality. It's like that for most I'm sure.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #394
Registered Member

Regular

Good reliable cars are definitely not BMWs. Say what you want, I'm telling what they really are. I work on them on a daily basis, we know their flaws and their extremely low perks. They aren't as bad as VWs and land rovers, but they are close. Anyone who wants to buy a euro car will regret it sooner or later, all it takes is time...

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #395
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Good reliable cars are definitely not BMWs. Say what you want, I'm telling what they really are. I work on them on a daily basis, we know their flaws and their extremely low perks. They aren't as bad as VWs and land rovers, but they are close. Anyone who wants to buy a euro car will regret it sooner or later, all it takes is time...

Adventure till you drop

Lol I have heard that about VW's for sure.

@azurebluemach
Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #396
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Adventure till you drop

A buddy of mine has gone through several Euro cars!.. They constantly break down on him!.. Yet he insists on how Superior they are!.. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #397
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
A buddy of mine has gone through several Euro cars!.. They constantly break down on him!.. Yet he insists on how Superior they are!.. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I work on euro cars from owners to dealerships, they are extremely labor extensive. My Audi, I had to put an engine in it, took 30 hours to do, you have to take the entire front end off, minus the fenders. They are poorly built, all of them, parts are expensive and it takes a long time to do. We don't Micky mouse or halfass anything, no one wants to work on the European stuff, or fix it right. Buy domestic or Asian that's all, stay away from European cars at least the newer ones...

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #398
Registered Member
Regular

It doesn't matter what the country of origin is... If it has tits or tires, you are going to have trouble with it!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #399
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Nothing wrong with BMWs. Lots of the issues they and VW/Audi have are due to the owner neglecting them. Using inferior oil, not following the maintenance plans. People who typically have these cars are not DIY mechanics and will never turn a wrench on them. But recon and all his knowledge & wisdom knows more than the German engineers. Just because they are "harder to work on" doesn't make them poorly built. As stated before, anyone can sit here and point out problems and potential issues with any auto manufacturer.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #400
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Biggest issue with the SRT4 was the crowd that owned them back when they were newer. Biggest toolsheds on the planet from my experience.

Anyway, I still say Soccer should get something like a real clean E36 BMW 3 series. They run forever, they look great, interiors are good and they aren't exactly expensive these days. Even an E36 M3 that is in perfect working order with lower miles is going to be under $10k. I've even seen some E46s dipping down into the low $teen range but those are almost all with the SMG trans or need a lot of work.
Hey! I had a new 2004 srt4!! I was in my mid twenties and not part of that crowd. Anyway, it was an Awesome car, I miss it all the time. I beat a ton of un suspecting individuals in that car. I sold in it a day and a half to an ex mustang guy who wanted something fast but more economical, lol. Made some money back on it Also. I kind of want another one.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #401
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Now I kind of want a truck. Could trailer the Mustang. Lift it, and do stupid stuff in it.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #402
Staff
Regular
Staff

Soccer's future ride

http://images1.cannonads.com/nlarge/...o_21063114.jpg

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #403
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ehhh I'm not too redneck.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #404
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I could get in a little trouble with this though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	raptor.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	181398  

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #405
Registered Member
Regular

I remember when the Raptors first came out, people were taking them out and using them like actual pre-runner trucks, and the frames were bending in the middle from jumping them! Lol

They're cool trucks. Kind of heavy but they get some good power out of the old 6.2L when supercharged.
I understand that the 2017 Raptor is going to have a 3.5L EcoBoost engine with around 500 hp!

It would be awesome if they had one of THOSE at that EcoBoost Challenge!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #406
ME Bloodhound
Staff

A friend at school has a raptor. I got to ride in it before, stayed within the city so nothing too exciting but you can definitely tell it's got power..

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #407
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Found a few decent 04-08 F150s for not a bad price.... I know the engines are really similar to Mustangs. But what's on the higher miles side for the 5.4? That year range is the 3v I believe.

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #408
Registered Member

Regular

That kinda looks like a shelby raptor. Or a raptor with similar body mods.

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #409
Registered Member
Regular

My sister has a 2v Expedition that has more than 250k on it! The 3V's have the cam phasers which can cause some ticking.
I think that Recon had a Coyote come into his shop with 90k+ miles on it.

The California Highway Patrol generally keeps the trucks that they use for commercial enforcement until they have 150k miles.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #410
Registered Member

Regular

2001 Bullitt Build Thread

Getting close to 98K.
Still runs good.

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #411
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
If you want a good little truck you should look into an x-runner. Although your going to want to race it too prob. This is what I had before my GT

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430411377.356672.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	181425

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430411395.999949.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	181426

4.0 v6 VVTI with a 6speed manual. Super fun, practical, dependable
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #412
ME Bloodhound
Staff

With a truck it'll be more me wanting to lift it and put big tires on it and go through some terrain, also tow the Mustang with it. Never been a fan of foreign trucks. The interior just doesn't suit me.

HID end all thread
Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #413
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
My sister has a 2v Expedition that has more than 250k on it! The 3V's have the cam phasers which can cause some ticking.
I think that Recon had a Coyote come into his shop with 90k+ miles on it.

The California Highway Patrol generally keeps the trucks that they use for commercial enforcement until they have 150k miles.
I have a 2003 2V Expy. 120k on it and it drives like new. They do get like 14mpg although there are people on expeditionforum.com who claim 22-24 with a real light foot doing 65-70 on the highway.

Mods to hit that are just the gotts mod, y pipe/catback and a tuner with a mpg tune.

Another plus to the 2v Expy is the Lightning supercharger assy is a 95% direct bolt on. 😈

There is also the 03/04 Navi if you want a little nicer interior and the big 4V. Just saw one for sale around here with 56k miles for $12000. 03/04 Expys will be cheaper. They are practically giving these trucks away these days and they ride niiiiiiiice.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #414
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
My parents 2v expy has 288xxx.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #415
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Tow hook is here

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430521655.118293.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	181570

HID end all thread
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #416
Registered Member
Regular

Nice!
I never thought about getting one until until your car had it's little tantrum on the track.

Where does it attach?
And is the hook removable?
Old 05-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #417
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It can be attached a few different places. Some do the bumper support and drill through the bumper. Others do the radiator support so it can fit through the opening in the bumper without drilling. I'll probably put it in at the same time as a new bumper and splitter so I can figure out placement with that and the rods.

HID end all thread
Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #418
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Someone left this on the car

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430607381.635325.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	181644

HID end all thread
Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #419
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Someone left this on the car
Attachment 181644

Can't post that without the offer lol
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #420
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Can't post that without the offer lol

I was getting everyone's curiosity up first lol

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT