99-04 mach 1000 audio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
99-04 mach 1000 audio

Ok, so I just bought my 03 sonic blue gt yesterday. It has the Mach 1000 audio package, is there a way to still use it if I change my head unit?

sent from galacy s5.

2003 Sonic Blue gt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409320340409.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	164658   Click image for larger version

Name:	1409320361027.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	164659  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1409320379977.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	164660  
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Nate98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

Region: Connecticut
I have the Mach 1000 as well. Are you having problems with the stock head unit? I have the stock head unit still because I had another mustang with an aftermarket one and it looked so out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Evan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan02 View Post
I have the Mach 1000 as well. Are you having problems with the stock head unit? I have the stock head unit still because I had another mustang with an aftermarket one and it looked so out of place.

It won't play burnt cds but other wise works fine, I just wanted to go with a double din touch screen

sent from galacy s5.

2003 Sonic Blue gt
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes.. Especially if you pay someone to put it in, they should have zero problems. The biggest problem I've found is finding replacement speakers when u blow the ****ty stock ones. Ohm-age seems to be the issue. Mine are blow and sound like crap... But what's the point in replacing crap with crap. I even researched it but couldn't find much.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Putting in an aftermarket head unit should be easy...as long as you get the right wiring harness. I only have the mach 460 (it was pretty easy to find), but look around for a harness that is specifically for the mach 1000. I would try to ask a local audio place first and then Crutchfield.com. I think this is the one, but I would just take it out real quick to look at the wires and make an initial judgement.
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
They sell a special wiring harness at best buy. Buy that and you won't have any problems.
JWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, you can change the head unit out and still have the mach 1000 working.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys!

sent from galacy s5.

2003 Sonic Blue gt
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Nice car!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
Nice car!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks man

sent from galacy s5.

2003 Sonic Blue gt
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Go with Crutchfield. They provide you with wiring harness for free, instructions, and free lifetime support.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterzinyou View Post
Go with Crutchfield. They provide you with wiring harness for free, instructions, and free lifetime support.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This.

Also, who the hell still uses burnt CDs? Lol, get something with a front usb port and throw in a $25 thumb drive with a 64 gig capacity and roll.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This.

Also, who the hell still uses burnt CDs? Lol, get something with a front usb port and throw in a $25 thumb drive with a 64 gig capacity and roll.
Only because it's a stock radio I never buy cds I want a touch screen double din

sent from galacy s5.

2003 Sonic Blue gt
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just put in a good double DIN unit then, get one with a front or rear USB port. You can just put a thumb drive in the front or if its a rear port then run a usb extension cable from the rear into the glove box or console or whatever. IMO, rear usb is way cleaner but the front facing ones aren't too bad. Just don't want one sticking out where you'll bang into it going into 3rd.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Been there and done that... Bottom line you need the correct harness and I would suggest getting it from Crutchfield. This will however not solve all your problems. Even though this will allow an aftermarket head unit to work with the Mach 1000 system the sound quality will be marginal at best IMHO.. The problem is, the MACH system is designed to work with a MACH head unit and nothing else. Each output of that head unit is customized to the amps it is feeding and the amps are customized to the speakers they are feeding. What you will discover is that if you leave your head unit flat, it will sound like crap. You need to play with the EQ, the high/low pass filters (selecting tweeters, woofers etc) in order to make it sound reasonable. And even then it's not going to sound great. I speak from experience after replacing my head unit with a top of the line Kenwood and could never dial the sound in correctly. I finally gave up and re-installed the Mach 100 head unit, bought an iPod adapter (USA-SPEC) and got my quality sound back.

If you look in the hardcore audio groups you will discover that people looking to improve on the MACH 1000 sound usually rip the entire thing out and start from scratch.

The MACH 1000 system is really a decent sounding system. Unfortunately it's behind the times (no USB inputs etc) and it's designed to work well with itself and is very hostile toward adding aftermarket parts. Especially speakers because the impedance of the MACH speakers is a non-standard value etc....
Can it be made to work as is with aftermarket components?
Sure, but you may not like the results.

Just my opinion.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert03 View Post
Been there and done that... Bottom line you need the correct harness and I would suggest getting it from Crutchfield. This will however not solve all your problems. Even though this will allow an aftermarket head unit to work with the Mach 1000 system the sound quality will be marginal at best IMHO.. The problem is, the MACH system is designed to work with a MACH head unit and nothing else. Each output of that head unit is customized to the amps it is feeding and the amps are customized to the speakers they are feeding. What you will discover is that if you leave your head unit flat, it will sound like crap. You need to play with the EQ, the high/low pass filters (selecting tweeters, woofers etc) in order to make it sound reasonable. And even then it's not going to sound great. I speak from experience after replacing my head unit with a top of the line Kenwood and could never dial the sound in correctly. I finally gave up and re-installed the Mach 100 head unit, bought an iPod adapter (USA-SPEC) and got my quality sound back.

If you look in the hardcore audio groups you will discover that people looking to improve on the MACH 1000 sound usually rip the entire thing out and start from scratch.

The MACH 1000 system is really a decent sounding system. Unfortunately it's behind the times (no USB inputs etc) and it's designed to work well with itself and is very hostile toward adding aftermarket parts. Especially speakers because the impedance of the MACH speakers is a non-standard value etc....

Just my opinion.
what ipod adapter?

sent from galacy s5.

2003 Sonic Blue gt
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

This one:
USA SPEC iPodĀ® Interface for Ford Connects your iPod to select Ford factory radios at Crutchfield.com

However I would NOT recommend it because it's quirky. Sometimes it won't recognize the iPod Classic 160gb I have hooked up. I then have to power off/on the head unit.

I use it as a basic "shuffle and play all songs" unit and it works great like that.
If you are into custom playlists, displaying tags on the head unit etc then forget this one.

One thing though, it's the only unit I have found that uses the digital signal from the iPod.
It uses the connector on the bottom of the iPod so you are getting the best possible, in theory, sound quality.
The sound quality is excellent and you can use the EQ and other controls on the iPod to adjust the sound as well.
There are also inputs on the unit so you can use an AUX cable as well if you want.

Mine is an older unit so they have probably updated the firmware by now because a lot more phones/devices are supported compared to when I bought this a few years ago.

I also didn't pay $129.00 but something like $79 at the time so it was a better deal.

Make sure you plug your car into Crutchfield's site and make certain it's match and will work.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert03 View Post

Just my opinion.
I think I may save this or even sticky it at the top of the audio forum. Very good info and totally true. One of the best features of my 95 Cobra and now my 98GT is that they are NON Mach cars. If I had a car with a Mach unit in it I'd rip everything out or leave it in and figure out a way to run an aux input into it.

As for the current cars, when I start looking for a Coyote I bet I'm going to have a hell of a time finding a Premium or PP car without the Shaker in it. Maybe not.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

99-04 mach 1000 audio

Quote:
I think I may save this or even sticky it at the top of the audio forum. Very good info and totally true. One of the best features of my 95 Cobra and now my 98GT is that they are NON Mach cars. If I had a car with a Mach unit in it I'd rip everything out or leave it in and figure out a way to run an aux input into it.

As for the current cars, when I start looking for a Coyote I bet I'm going to have a hell of a time finding a Premium or PP car without the Shaker in it. Maybe not.

You will prolly have a hell of a time. Seems shaker sort of just comes with premium. Every premium v6 I looked at had shaker. But that's the good part it's better than the old crap that blows. Having a 8" sub in the bottom is sweet (I believe that's what it has?)

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, if it has SYNC and bluetooth I can link it to slacker radio or whatever and stream. I'll be happy with that. Would have to research on how to retrofit better speakers/amps in and if the stock wiring is ok in the shaker unlike how it is in the mach.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eh, if it has SYNC and bluetooth I can link it to slacker radio or whatever and stream. I'll be happy with that. Would have to research on how to retrofit better speakers/amps in and if the stock wiring is ok in the shaker unlike how it is in the mach.

Yeah I thought it was badass compared to the old Mach system. Sounded good an loud. The sync and bluetooth were very nice along with bein a nice touch. That's why I say I hate our interiors. Drove a 11 and hooked my phone up to it.. Got a taste of "luxury" at least compared to what I have lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Supporter
Staff

Region: California
I don't know about the Mach 1000 but i swapped an aftermarket touch screen unit into my Mach 460 system. I believe the piece that is essential is a 12v to 9v converter.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Lot's of great information on the Mach 460/1000 for 1999-2004 can be found here. The site this was originally posted on is long dead, but you can find it on Wayback Machine. No guarantees that all the hot links will also work though.

Mach 460 Information
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the 460. Bought the harness with the voltage converter for the amps. Installed pioneer touch screen. And the sound quality is much better. Exceptional highs. Amps work petfect. No distortion.
JWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have the 460 in my car and I had all the harnesses needed and when I plugged it in my amps wouldn't turn on and the tweeters were the only thing working then I found out that depending on your head unit you may need to run the amp power wire to the main radio power wire because for some reason the head unit would not turn them on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The reason for the voltage regulator is that the Mach 1000 amps use a non-standard 5Vdc for the amp turn on lead where aftermarket head units use 12Vdc to turn on the amps. The voltage regulator drops the voltage from 12Vdc to 5Vdc so you don't get a pop when you power the head unit on. The Mach460 is actually a different animal than the Mach1000 and thus installing an aftermarket head unit works much better in those cars.

Here is a nice Mustang Sound Community on Google.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...27569689411693
Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #27

I've got a stock 460 with no bass issues , crackled and poped a couple times and now nothing ,
Looked at every fuse in both fuse blocks , under dash and under hood
All look ok , got some amps from salvage and anouther radio from salvage and still no bass help !!
Love my 2004 pony but I want the stereo to work again .

john sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #28

I forgot it has radio but no bass

john sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Because you know its all about that bass no treble...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT