Got some things done finally!! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #71
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Folks, let me remind you of the rules that are found under "community rukles" at the bottom of this forum. Please pay particular attention to:

"Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable."
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Understood, and thanks for reopening the thread after you had closed it.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Got it bucko
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Poor Bucko...
His fingers must be sore from removing all of those posts.
We're lucky that he didn't just hit the "delete" button!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Took the time to see your progress @grumpy no idea why I didn't see it at first. Great job! Its coming out great. I'm not really into these years mustangs, maybe I've seen to many riced out that I don't like them. I like the way your going, liking that cobra spoiler change idea, can't wait to see the next changes on "Grumpy" and finished
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Just to give you all an idea of some of the old country winding roads and the severity of the downhill or uphill if that is the direction you are going, and the tightness of the roads, with severe winding bends, cars oncoming without notice here you go. This is only about 25% of the downhill ride, which is about 3.5 miles, the whole hill is about 10 miles, and your ears are popping when climbing it cause it is sooo high up. Tomorrow I am going to the top and film it all the way down. It is narrow, no room for error, or you go over the edge quick, happens all the time. The film is taken by my phone holding it in one hand while driving with my left hand. So it can get alitlle bumpy.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #77
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Why would anyone park on the side of that road?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Just to give you all an idea of some of the old country winding roads and the severity of the downhill or uphill if that is the direction you are going, and the tightness of the roads, with severe winding bends, cars oncoming without notice here you go. This is only about 25% of the downhill ride, which is about 3.5 miles, the whole hill is about 10 miles, and your ears are popping when climbing it cause it is sooo high up. Tomorrow I am going to the top and film it all the way down. It is narrow, no room for error, or you go over the edge quick, happens all the time. The film is taken by my phone holding it in one hand while driving with my left hand. So it can get alitlle bumpy.

Someones having fun video taking haha
Careful tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Not much space to park inside maybe? My guess, from what I was able to see. (Couldn't see the complete video, lagging internet.)
Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
That road would suck to drive on. Just watched a few seconds of it but looks like an accident waiting to happen.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #80
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
That road would suck to drive on. Just watched a few seconds of it but looks like an accident waiting to happen.
It would be an awesome road to drive empty though!

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

You would be suprised where ppl park in PR. These hillside roads are soo old and narrow, that you really need to peak around the corner as you are turning to make sure no one is coming the other direction and in your lane. But, it is not unusual to see a car left abandoned over a cliff as it missed the turn. But if by chance you do understeer and go out too wide, there is no room to recover. In high rain storms, it is almost unbearable to drive up them or down the hills as the rain water is just a flood running down hill. Mud slides, and rock slides are very common also. I love the drive thru the hills. It makes for a good auto-cross type of atmosphere, kinda like a Pikes Peak but in the countryside.. But tomorrow I am going back and taking it all the way to the top, and come down it filming all the way.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

I wish you would get a mount for your phone first Grumpy... So that we don't have to endure another "Do you guys think my car is totaled?" thread.
That looks like a fun drive! It's so nice and green there!

I'll have to do a vid for you guys one of these days. The road that I use to leave the extinct volcano that I'm living on, to the south, is very similar to that, only the surface is in better shape. It's one of the few roads in CA that they take excellent care of because it's so dangerous. It's very technical, like the one that you were on, and during certain times of the day (And night!) there is very little traffic so some very "spirited" runs are possible over the top and down the other side. Its about ten miles and takes me about ten minutes if I do it at a "race" pace and don't get caught behind any cars.
I need to get a mount for my phone first though, because all of you guys put together don't have enough money to pay me to do it with only one hand on the wheel!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Well I am back, I had to leave last week for a funeral up in Cincinnati, Ohio.

But, I drove my car this afternoon around town and had stopped off at the Home Depot (the car was parked for a week at the long term parking garage at the airport mind you). When I came back to my car I got in and started it up, it failed to start and it backfired on me. So I tried again to start and the same thing happened, it backfired and failed to start. The third time it did start and the CEL came on instantly. I carry my scanner in my glovebox at all times and I scanned the CEL and a PO340 came up. Faulty cam position sensor failure.

Now I am very familiar with this code as I have plenty of pals that have had it too in the past. Everytime they call me and ask about it the first thing that comes to mind is the alternator. So I went over to PEPBOYS and purchased a new lifetime warrantied alt and took it home and installed it right away. Sure enough, no more CEL. I hooked the meter up to the old alt while under load and it was reading only 12.22, should be up around 13-14.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I had a similar problem earlier this year. My battery was going dead after the car would sit for about a week, or maybe less. The problem didn't occur until I stopped driving the car everyday. But it had always acted strange when starting and, sometimes, was very difficult to start after sitting for a short time after driving, such as your stop at Home Depot. I finally tested the alternator and it was only putting out about 50 amps. I went ahead and replaced the battery and all of the cables along with the alternator. The car never showed a CEL though, and the gauge stays right where it was at with the old alternator. I don't DD the car anymore but it seems that the difficult "hot starts" have disappeared.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Got some things done finally!!

Random buttpost O_o

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Random buttpost O_o

Old 10-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #87
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I've heard bad alternators can cause weird cam position sensor CEL's too. If you have a fairly new battery, maybe check to see if the alternator is charging properly.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
IG: @azurebluemach
Old 10-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've heard bad alternators can cause weird cam position sensor CEL's too. If you have a fairly new battery, maybe check to see if the alternator is charging properly.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1

Yeah the alternator can cause alot of mayhem with your engine electricals such as the cam sensor, crank sensor, and even the evap system can trigger a CEL due to a faulty alt. The one thing that I hate though is how fast it happens. Be that said, there may have been small signs of this happening all the while I am not paying any attn to. So it wise to pay close attn to those little signs of electrical gremlins that you would normally never think twice about. And the alternator is usually the last thing on ones mind when sensors come into play. And alot of ppl just throw parts at a CEL problem without first checking the essentials first. It usually is as little of an issue such as electrical supply and demand.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah the alternator can cause alot of mayhem with your engine electricals such as the cam sensor, crank sensor, and even the evap system can trigger a CEL due to a faulty alt. The one thing that I hate though is how fast it happens. Be that said, there may have been small signs of this happening all the while I am not paying any attn to. So it wise to pay close attn to those little signs of electrical gremlins that you would normally never think twice about. And the alternator is usually the last thing on ones mind when sensors come into play. And alot of ppl just throw parts at a CEL problem without first checking the essentials first. It usually is as little of an issue such as electrical supply and demand.

Could it cause p1450? To think about it that is unable to bleed vacuum.. And my car sometimes has trouble starting. Especially right after turning her off. Plus it sounds like I got a super charger sometimes under my hood lol ( it whines)

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Could it cause p1450?

Do you have a tendency to fill up the tank with the car running?

Reason for the question is that if you allow the car to run idle while filling up the car the PCM will call for a EVAP purge to happen once a fill up is detected. If the car is running while a EVAP purge is going on, it will draw raw fuel into the canister which in return will cause the charcoal material inside the canister to form solid and not allow flow. And since the tank vents through the canister and CV solenoid will causes venting issues and the PO1450 CEL. If that is the case with yours, the only option at that point is to replace the canister.

Have you checked the flow capabilities of the EVAP canister and the CV solenoid? The CV solenoid should have a small rectangular filter inside it too.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #91
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I actually have a Buick Century that is throwing a CEL on evap. I think I'm gonna have the alternator checked. That's why forums are handy if you read all the posts lol. Never know, the alt has about 180k miles on it. Thanks!

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Got some things done finally!!

Quote:
Do you have a tendency to fill up the tank with the car running?

Reason for the question is that if you allow the car to run idle while filling up the car the PCM will call for a EVAP purge to happen once a fill up is detected. If the car is running while a EVAP purge is going on, it will draw raw fuel into the canister which in return will cause the charcoal material inside the canister to form solid and not allow flow. And since the tank vents through the canister and CV solenoid will causes venting issues and the PO1450 CEL. If that is the case with yours, the only option at that point is to replace the canister.

Have you checked the flow capabilities of the EVAP canister and the CV solenoid? The CV solenoid should have a small rectangular filter inside it too.

No I don't, that's illegal XD was just wondering if a bad alt could lead to this

I've read about it and it can be just cop webs stopping up stuff where the canister is. But I feel like it would be expensive for a mechanic to drop the tank and work on it so I haven't addressed it.

Yes I edit my posts a lot, auto correct likes to sabotage me!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT