Hi! 99-01 SVT cobra high beam problems (Australia) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #1

Region: Australia
Hi! 99-01 SVT cobra high beam problems (Australia)

High Beam doesn't work. Could someone please give some direction?
Fuses ok, globes ok, low beam and driving lights ok. High beam indicator light on dash works but not the High Beams.
When I flick to High Beams all forward lights go out.
It may be the Circuit breaker but I don't know exactly where it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've had the car from new and now there are a few gremlins playing around with it's systems. Passenger airbag ( code 33), ABS and traction control not working ... now the lights. None fixed.
ozcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't know about the airbag.
The ABS and Traction control could be a number of things. Mine doesn't work on one my cars either.
The immediate problem seems to be the headlights. There is just the one fuse for the high beams and that is in position #38 in the passenger compartment fuse box. You said that you checked it and that's probably not the problem anyway.
My experience with Ford vehicles is that the Headlamp switches are crap. The switch is very easy to access and it's worth having a look at. When you remove it, disconnect the electrical connector from it and carefully inspect all of the connector prongs for any signs of damage due to overheating. Often, the electrical connector will be so "melted" from the heat that the damage will be very obvious without even removing the connector.
I just replaced both the switch AND the connector in a truck that I recently purchased because of the same problem that you are experiencing. And that wasn't the first time that I've replaced Fords Headlamp switches.

That's my first suggestion for tracking the problem down if your positive about everything else all being in order...

The next possibility is the Multi-function switch located in the steering column.
Since the Headlamp switch is much easier to access, I'd check that first, though.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If the headlights are coming on but no highbeams, then I would not assume it is the headlight switch. The headlight switch only has 4 functions, 1st being off, 2nd being parking lights, 3rd being dim mode and finally the headlights. That switch opens the signal to the multi-function switch, then the multi-function switch sends a signal to the central junction box located in the engine bay fenderwell on driverside, which then feeds the current to the headlights. So if the low beams are coming on, then the headlight switch is working as it is supposed to, as the switch knows nothing about high beams or low beams, only to turn on. The multi-function switch on the other hand could well be the gremlin for the high beams. You might want to go and inspect the 3 connections to the multi-function switch, ie the turn signal lever base that mounts to the column. Most often the connections get corroded, burnt, or broken. The switch is usually able to be diagnosed just by inspection alone, but a multimeter will help if no apparent damage or no plugs are corroded. Also there is the fuse in the CJB to locate and see if it is bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2001-mustang-fuse-box-diagram4.gif
Views:	2694
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	164938

Name:	2001-mustang-fuse-box-diagram3.gif
Views:	2994
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	164939

Name:	2001-mustang-fuse-box-diagram1.gif
Views:	9495
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	164940

Name:	2001-mustang-fuse-box-diagram2.gif
Views:	5821
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	164941

Name:	cobra-headlights-wiring-diagram.jpg
Views:	7950
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	164942

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ABS and traction control in my experience is usually a bad module. On the picture shown below is for a GT, as you can see on the module face plate. On Cobras, bullitt's and GT's, it shows each specific model on the faceplate.

Name:	FordMustangABS.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	164943

There is a fuse located in the CJB for the ABS and traction control also that you can check. And also the airbag error 33 is usually a bad fuse in either the CJB or fuse box under dash. Locate the fuse in the diagrams I provided in the post previous.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You may be right Grumpy!
Now it is me who is referring back to obsolete technology... My truck doesn't have a multi-function switch!

Heres the strange thing about OZ's problem though, he mentions that when he turns the high beams on all of the forward lights turn off, yet the high beam indicator light on the instrument cluster DOES light up when the high beams are activated. If you look on that wiring diagram that you posted, you'll see that the high beam circuit must be energized beyond the high beam fuse for the indicator light on the cluster to light up. Other than burnt filaments in the bulbs, or a broken wire, there should be no reason for the high beams to not work.
Am I reading that correctly?
Oz didn't mention if the "flash to pass" feature is working or not.

Do you see why I said that you don't want to rely solely on my advice, OZ?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
he mentions that when he turns the high beams on all of the forward lights turn off, yet the high beam indicator light on the instrument cluster DOES light up when the high beams are activated.
Well the light indicator on instrument panel is activated once the multi-function switch is activated for high beam operation, closed circuit. But, that does not mean that the switch is functioning properly to allow high beam operation. Theere may also be a break in current at the CJB at the fuse also. He needs to look at all that first then get back to us if it worked or not.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_GRUMPY_GT View Post
Well the light indicator on instrument panel is activated once the multi-function switch is activated for high beam operation, closed circuit. But, that does not mean that the switch is functioning properly to allow high beam operation. Theere may also be a break in current at the CJB at the fuse also. He needs to look at all that first then get back to us if it worked or not.
The indicator light on the dash takes a different path so anything below S281 in your diagram (towards the bottom of the page) could be the cause. As could anything on the right leg from C202a on down..

Time to get the meter out and start probing.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #8

Region: Australia
"Flash to pass" does not work. Sorry missed telling you that.
ozcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Since the high beam indicator and the fog lamp relay are both recieving voltage when you activate the high beams, it seems like the problem is in the wiring AFTER the fuse.
I think that I'd start testing for voltage at the Headlamp electrical connector and start working my way backwards from there until I found some voltage in the high beam circuit.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Actually since he is stating that the flash to pass is not working too, I would bet it is the multi-function switch that is causing this problem. Need to get the multi-function switch and pull the harness plugs in the back of it. Inspect the connections, pins and plugs for any signs of heat, broken/bent pins, corrosion. If everything at that point looks good to go, then start tracing the diagram to the CJB. Check the fuse in the CJB and then go from there to the headlights if the fuse is good. But honestly I do not think you will have to go that far once you pull the multi-function switch.

Just click on picture to enlarge

Name:	column and multi switch.gif
Views:	262
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	165006

Name:	backside of multiswitch.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	165007

Name:	multiswitch wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	165008

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
svt