Can anyone explain this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can anyone explain this?

I have a 98 gt 5 speed and i noticed alot of oil or something on my mufflers, differential housing, that hard rubber part behind the differential housing, and on my garage floor. Idk whats going on
cstyle408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409635178611.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	164995   Click image for larger version

Name:	1409635193167.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	164996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1409635207486.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	164997  
Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is the Fluid on the front ends of the mufflers too or just on the backs ? If on the fronts I would think the fluid is coming from the trans or maybe even the rear main seal. If only near the backs I'm thinking Differential Fluid. I'd get under there & clean it up & let the car sit a couple days & see exactly where it's dripping from. Driving it will make the fluid go everywhere & you'll have a harder time finding the leak.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea ill do that thanks. Its only on the backsides of the mufflers and also a little bit on the differential cover. What do i do to fix this leak?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like it's your differential cover leaking. If that's where the leak is you'll have to drain the fluid & change the gasket or RTV Silicone it. You might want to try just tightening the bolts a little 1st to see if it stops it. You got nothing to lose trying it cause if it don't seal...you'll still have to change the gasket. Not that hard to change.
The worst part is getting the fluid out as the plug hole is on top. I use a siphon pump that I got from Harbor Freight for about $3.00. You can always just loosen the bottom bolts up on the cover & let it drain out slowly.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
the diff maybe leaking, but that is not the main problem. The oil is on the mufflers, and probably everything else that is under the car. Unless he was driving in reverse all this time, that diff can not oil soak everything in front of diff due to wind sheer. The main source is most likely the rear main seal, or the transmission output or input seal. Or it could even be the oil pan. Either way, the OP needs to check fluid levels and see which is low. And also wipe down or inspect for oneself where the oil is coming from. Getting under the car and inspecting the source is the only way to find cause. Not posting on here and asking us where it is coming from. All we say is speculation without OP first checking for himself.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I was thinking diff. cover is because he said there was some fluid on it & it faces the rear of the car so not sure how fluid would get there...but anythings possible & I know you have good advice so I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I was not jumping on your idea, just giving reasonable thought.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't think you were. You know more about this stuff then I do is all.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I dye can be placed in any of these suspect areas (one at a time) to assist in determining the source of the leak. The first think that needs to be done though is to clean up as much of the oil leak. Then place some dye (can be bought at any auto parts store) in one of the suspected leak source, drive around for a day or two, then re-inspect the areas that show the oil.

If it is the rear end, verify that the differential valve is not plugged or stuck closed. The differential has to "breath", otherwise its end seals , the seal by its driveshaft foint, or its cover gasket will blow to eleviate the pressure. If over filled, or "sprited" driving is done more often, the differential oil can leak from this valve. There are easy fixes for this.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If it is the rear end, verify that the differential valve is not plugged or stuck closed. The differential has to "breath", otherwise its end seals , the seal by its driveshaft foint, or its cover gasket will blow to eleviate the pressure. If over filled, or "sprited" driving is done more often, the differential oil can leak from this valve. There are easy fixes for this.
Pretty sure this would explain diff oil on your mufflers and surrounding area. Seal would be my guess, but I don't have a ton of experience w/ this.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The only argument I have with the rearend being the gremlin here is the oil splatter or soaking of all the other parts and undercar in general. A car drives in a forward motion. With that said, wind sheer goes in the opposite direction of motion. Car moves forward, wind sheer goes from front to back. So, that also being said, oil will flow in the direction of wind sheer. So since the muffler and pipes, and under belly is wet, the only logical thought is that it is coming from forward of rearend, beyond that of the mufflers. So that leaves a few items to look at. One being the transmission, input/output seals. Second being the engine, oil pan, oil filter, rear main seal. Third, power steering, at the rack and the box, lines inbetween. A car in forward motion 99.8% of the time can not explain anything other than the forward most parts, not the last in line parts.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would start with the basics. Assuming you can't see dripping, put the car up on ramps, clean the bottom with something like Simple Green or Gunk Engine De-greaser (wear eye protection), let it dry out.

Put some cardboard under the car, weight it down if outside in the driveway so the wind doesn't blow it way, run the engine till warm. Shut it down and wait until the drips appear on the cardboard.

Look straight up from the drips and you should have a decent idea where it's coming from.

Once you know that you can begin to repair what's leaking.
vert03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert03 View Post
I would start with the basics. Assuming you can't see dripping, put the car up on ramps, clean the bottom with something like Simple Green or Gunk Engine De-greaser (wear eye protection), let it dry out.

Put some cardboard under the car, weight it down if outside in the driveway so the wind doesn't blow it way, run the engine till warm. Shut it down and wait until the drips appear on the cardboard.

Look straight up from the drips and you should have a decent idea where it's coming from.

Once you know that you can begin to repair what's leaking.
I could not agree more. Alot of times if the leak is that bad, you can usually trace it all the way back to its starting point and see a general area of concern. But if not, cleaning all the wet areas needs to be done to determine properly where it is coming from.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Its probably the pinion seal, if it was the diff cover it would just be on the back side of the diff, but a bad pinion seal would allow for gear oil to get onto the yoke and fling it all around the surrounding area
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

You know what...I wonder if the O.P. is even reading any of this as he hasn't responded at all.
Well he should know by now that he has to clean it all up & all the places to check for the leak & even a couple of ways to find it. Hopefully, we'll get an update from him letting us know we were all wrong...just kidding.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I cleaned up all the crap under the car and the only place i notice the oil coming from is the differential cover.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Im gonna check the pinion seal also. I havent had a chance to do that yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT