2001 Auto GT Vert - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2001 Auto GT Vert

I have a 2001 Auto GT Vert and I just have a few basic bolt-ons. I have a BBK CAI, O/R mid pipe, cat-back, 4.10 gears and a tune. I am wanting more power, but unfortunately don't have the money to go Forced Induction. What should I do next to make more power?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
CCSOdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Pullies, throttle body, upper plenum, cam, or you could just spray it.

Semerollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Do the J-mod, its cheap, easy and while you won't have more power, your car will be much quicker and fun to drive. Look it up on youtube. It may seem daunting but if you can follow directions and use hand tools you can do it. This is also not something any shop but a mustang specific shop will even know about so its almost always a DIY thing.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would not recommend spray (nitrous) with a plastic intake, spells disaster in my mind.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I was thinking of doing a swap on it. Just because I love driving a straight drive. But I may consider the J-mod now. And definitely looking at cams. But what stage can I go with without hurting myself in the long run?

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I'm not a big fan of spray myself either. I don't do a whole lot of strip runs

Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are going to cam the car it won't be cheap. Cams, valve springs, degree service, install hardware and then the tune on top of it will run you into the $1500 range. IMO, not really worth it. And that is if you do all the work yourself...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you are going to cam the car it won't be cheap. Cams, valve springs, degree service, install hardware and then the tune on top of it will run you into the $1500 range. IMO, not really worth it. And that is if you do all the work yourself...

Minimal gains also. Not like a pushrod that picks up a lot from just a cam swap.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Minimal gains also. Not like a pushrod that picks up a lot from just a cam swap.

Pushrods pick up way less from a cam swap than the PI does. Unless they are GT40 Cobra motors they'll pick up little to no power and require a $600 tune to run like the stock cam. A PI motor with bolt ons and a good tune will see 30-40rwhp gains from cams which is really good. I mean REALLY good. But for $1500 you can damn near get a new turbo kit for that price or definitely a used Vortech. Also if the rest of the car still has upgrades that need doing like suspension etc... they should be done before cams or a blower anyway.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pushrods pick up way less from a cam swap than the PI does. Unless they are GT40 Cobra motors they'll pick up little to no power and require a $600 tune to run like the stock cam. A PI motor with bolt ons and a good tune will see 30-40rwhp gains from cams which is really good. I mean REALLY good. But for $1500 you can damn near get a new turbo kit for that price or definitely a used Vortech. Also if the rest of the car still has upgrades that need doing like suspension etc... they should be done before cams or a blower anyway.

Well depends on the pushrod. When I typed that out I had an LS motor in my mind.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Since money is an issue, and you want results now with minimal invested, then I would work on the exterior of the engine. That being said is not going to net you much in HP at the wheels. Things like the throttle body, intake, pullies, and a custom tune. The j-mod is basically a freebie as the work is basically using basic tools and carefull attention to detail. But that in itself will only net you better shift points and not HP. But with the better shifting will make it feel more responsive which in itself will make it feel like you gained in the HP dept. There are youtube videos posted in this forum on how to do a j-mod. So just punch in the j-mod in search and you will get many results. I find that you can more to the point results by using google search instead of forum search.

2015 Race Red Performance Package GT 5.0 (435hp) stock
Still in the making Updates coming soon!
99_GRUMPY_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Along with the J-mod if he has access to a shop with a lift or can afford the $labor to have a converter done, that is something else to look into. A bolt on/tuned 2V with suspension and a j-mod with a good aftermarket stall converter is a 12 second car.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! I'm definitely going to look into all that!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT